Stihl 041 AV Repair/Rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you rebuild the carb take some carb cleaner and the little straw that comes with it and squirt it through the screw in needles that you took out. Should spray right through. If it comes out through both the idle holes on the engine side of the butterfly and the large jet on the external side of the butterfly you are good to go.

Other than that lay the parts out in the order they came out and put them back in the same way. The metering lever should be flush with the top of the carb body, usually. Really should come out of the kit that way.

Often there are parts for more than one carb in the kit . So, just match them with what came out.

Luckily, your vintage saw carb can be rebuilt quite easily. New stuff, not so much.

The metering lever should be flush with the top of the carb body, usually. Really should come out of the kit that way.
No. the metering levers in the kits are fresh off the stamping machines and MUST be adjusted after installation in the carb. For this reason I usually reuse the old one but ALWAYS check it.

No. the metering levers in the kits are fresh off the stamping machines and MUST be adjusted after installation in the carb. For this reason I usually reuse the old one but ALWAYS check it.
It makes no sense that they would stamp them wrong for the majority of carburetor bodies. And, they don't.

It makes no sense that they would stamp them wrong for the majority of carburetor bodies. And, they don't.
Sorry, that is not my experience. A given metering lever may fit multiple carb models. Expecting them to come pre-adjusted for your particular carb is, IMHO, wishful thinking. If it does happen to be adjusted correctly you better go buy a lottery ticket!

Latest posts

Back