Stihl 041 AV Repair/Rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No1UKnow

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello All,

Have an old 041 AV left to me by my father. It's been sitting for about 15 years now. Probably put up with fuel in it. Have broken it down to clean and replace fuel lines, filter, etc. Purchased an after market Chinese carb, lines, and filters, though it has a Tillotson on it currently.

I dismantled the saw down to the crankcase, though the fuel box and oil box are still sealed. Flywheel and clutch still attached. There is debris caked into the corners of the fuel tank, as well as in every part I have dismantled. Spark plug boot is torn and wire is hard.

I know I want to at least replace the fuel lines and plug wire/boot, so I assume I have to remove the flywheel to get to the coil. Wondering the following:

• Should I replace with the Chinese carb or clean or rebuild the Tillotson carb?
  • Should I break into and clean the fuel tank?
  • Should I break into and clean the oil reservoir?
  • Should I go ahead and replace and the piston and rings and or the cylinder head?
  • If I break this down any further, I'll need to reseal. I'm more comfortable with pre-formed gaskets, but not sure what type of gasket sealer to use. (Permatex, Indian Head, etc. ?)
  • Also, while some of the buffers are in decent shape, the one on the grab handle needs to be replaced. Can anyone suggest a place to get that?
  • How to clean this thing (realize that may depend on how "deep" I go on it)
I recognize this could be only the start of this discussion, and I am interested in any other advice for this project.

Thanks!

N1UK

Are you planning on using the saw or just restoring for nostalgia reasons?

If using: you have a fuel filter for a reason, rinse the tank out and go.

Any carb variant that is not a tillotson will drop power a bit, but if you have never used the saw you will never notice.

If you are going to use the saw, think functionally about what needs to be done.

If you are restoring the saw for nostalgia; go to town!

Everything is tempered with the experience and tools you have though.

Take off the "fanwheel", which is bolted to the flywheel, and see if it has access windows in the flywheel.
Most folks have a stack of old 041s laying around, as there are many, many variations, and getting the correct part can be difficult.
Put up some pics of it.

I did pull the fan off of the flywheel, but the machine is out at the camp, and I'll have to see if there are access windows when i can get my hands on it. Here is a pic of the buffer I need to replace:

IMG_20201108_130238.jpg

Are you planning on using the saw or just restoring for nostalgia reasons?

If using: you have a fuel filter for a reason, rinse the tank out and go.

Any carb variant that is not a tillotson will drop power a bit, but if you have never used the saw you will never notice.

If you are going to use the saw, think functionally about what needs to be done.

If you are restoring the saw for nostalgia; go to town!

Everything is tempered with the experience and tools you have though.

I'm not too much for nostalgia. Planning on using it. I'm pretty good at working on stuff, but this is my first go-round with a chainsaw. Don't like the sound of anything that might "drop the power a bit" :confused: Replacement carb was cheap. Would let it go for more power, if the Tillotson is easy to clean/rebuild. Concerned it is gunked up with old oil and the like, but I don't know. The lines were hard as rock :oops:

I just started on working on saws and I've successfully cleaned them up with either mineral spirits or toluene. fill the tanks with toluene and let soak overnight. Remove the oil/fuel lines from the tanks first.

As for the bumper, get a part No. and look on ebay.

Last summer I had three saws with issues suddenly. I had a large Live Oak that a customer wanted cleaned up. I had no way to address the limbs. Went to my self and there was my 041. It had some gas in it, but was five years old. Added some gas to it pulled the choke and started pulling. After a few minutes it fired. With about twenty minutes of tinkering it ran great PRICELESS. When ahead and made a productive day out of it. Now am thinking about some rebuild for it as it is not worth a to sell it. Thanks

Last summer I had three saws with issues suddenly. I had a large Live Oak that a customer wanted cleaned up. I had no way to address the limbs. Went to my self and there was my 041. It had some gas in it, but was five years old. Added some gas to it pulled the choke and started pulling. After a few minutes it fired. With about twenty minutes of tinkering it ran great PRICELESS. When ahead and made a productive day out of it. Now am thinking about some rebuild for it as it is not worth a to sell it. Thanks
Some preper will jump on it quickly.

I have a 041 non av I believe that was crushed in my shed, it did run on prime and it is mostly complete (muffler nla) . If someone needs parts or wants the whole thing pm me .
Shipping is the only cost unless you feel like trading.
Toss up an image and where are located?

Attachments

• IMG_20201025_095024 smaller.jpg
    IMG_20201025_095024 smaller.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20201025_101320 smaller.jpg
    IMG_20201025_101320 smaller.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20201025_101325 smaller.jpg
    IMG_20201025_101325 smaller.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20201025_101342 smaller.jpg