DR Kinetic Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowawoodguy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does anyone have one of these or heard anything about them? Screenshot_20210512-112827_Chrome.jpg
I'm considering upgrading for my business to cut down on production time. I would probably spend an extra $100 to get the electric one to keep it quiet. Can a kinetic splitter do everything a hydraulic can? I tend to get stringy, tough wood, and its usually 20 inches or larger. Do they handle large rounds well? I'd hate to switch out to a kinetic and have a pile of rounds I can't split.

Does anyone have one of these or heard anything about them? View attachment 906371
I'm considering upgrading for my business to cut down on production time. I would probably spend an extra $100 to get the electric one to keep it quiet. Can a kinetic splitter do everything a hydraulic can? I tend to get stringy, tough wood, and its usually 20 inches or larger. Do they handle large rounds well? I'd hate to switch out to a kinetic and have a pile of rounds I can't split.
If I would do it again I would get a Super Split. Lots of folks love them on here.

Yea. I was kind of looking at this one as a budget super split.
Yeah, those super splits are pricey. As a fellow business owner I know time is money. Sometimes a bit more money up front saves lots of time(money) down the road. Hopefully someone can shed some light for you on both of these machines.
Lee

SuperSplit is the grandaddy of the kinetic splitters. DR has some respect for some of their equipment, but it's really more for the landowner gadget-loving DIY set. If I was doing firewood as a business but at less than a processor rate, I'd get the basic SS (electric if power was available on-site) with a production table, use the MTD hydraulic I own as a backup/vertical rig, and be very happy.

There have been several copy cat kinetic splitters come and go.
If you did a search on here you might find some threads on specific issues, and discontinued models.
SuperSplit has been around a long, long time.
You will find few issues with them.

However in the second part of your post you ask, can a kinetic do everything a hydraulic can do?
The short answer is NO.
There used to be a very large firewood get together near you where hydraulics and SuperSplits did mountains of cutting and splitting in a weekend. If still going on, a good place to check them out.

So take this for what it's worth. I don't own a kinetic splitter, however few years ago a local farm equipment dealer had a show and tell with a super split. Had a 20 ton hydro set up next to it and gave us the opportunity to try each to see how much faster the ss was. It was and did great till someone grabbed a nasty crotch and tried to shove it through. Hit it a few times and no go. I knew at that point it wasn't the splitter for me. It was very impressive for speed and easily out split the hydro in decent wood, by a large margin.

That little baby model is nothing compared to the J model SS. 18" stroke and single flywheel. In 2021 I have beat dozens of logs off the wedge of my TW5 that it wouldn't split. I have beat 1 log off my SS with 4 way wedge this year.

Does anyone have one of these or heard anything about them? View attachment 906371
Great splitter but will definitely give you problems with knots and big rounds. My friend had his for 10 years and it’s finally giving him some issues but 10 years without issues is well worth it. All you need to do is grease the rack and some bearings and your done

So take this for what it's worth. I don't own a kinetic splitter, however few years ago a local farm equipment dealer had a show and tell with a super split. Had a 20 ton hydro set up next to it and gave us the opportunity to try each to see how much faster the ss was. It was and did great till someone grabbed a nasty crotch and tried to shove it through. Hit it a few times and no go. I knew at that point it wasn't the splitter for me. It was very impressive for speed and easily out split the hydro in decent wood, by a large margin.
This is very interesting..I've got a 22 Ton hydraulic. Bought it used and have split a LOT of knotty HUGE rounds using it and a Glut..Since my splitter flips up and I can roll rounds under the Splitting wedge even at 75 I'm able to split 20 inch rounds that are very heavy for me.. I've wondered HOW back breaking it would be to split big rounds with a Kinetic by lifting those heavy rounds. Once they split in half would they fall and have to be lifted or is there a better plan. .I would guess on small light stuff it would Zoom..So,, unless I grow younger and can lift rounds, I'm stuck with Hydraulic because I can roll them and pry them under the splitter... I put a new cylinder on mine last year and it's working like new..I also put a trailer jack with the wheel on the tow bar so hooking it up and moving it isn't bad either.Just my 2 cents.. Good day..

I'm late to the party but hopefully this will help someone. I bought a K22 gas powered one about 3 years ago at a pawn shop! It looked practically new except it didn't have the flywheel covers. I knew what it was when I saw it but the people there really didn't seem to know what to make of it. They gave me a decent price but it was more than I wanted to pay. I called/went by a week or so later and they they gave me a deal I couldnt resist! Even after ordering the covers I got a great deal. I've used it and the only "problems" I've had are the pull rewind acted up a little.Easy fix. Somehow water or something got in the fuel but it's fine now. It splits great! The larger rounds you may have to hit more than once but thats ok. Its still much faster than hydraullics. This is their smallest gas model so I'm sure the larger ones have more punch! From what I read, they made improvements from the first ones, such as better hardening of the roller, etc. I would definitely stay away from the electric one unless you plan to put a different motor on it. It seems it can't handle the load. Hope this helps someone.

At 75 I love my 22 Ton hydraulic splitter.. I've replaced the filter and bought a new Cylinder. It's old and works great. It's slower but so am I.. THE real benefit is I don't have to lift the Rounds.. I roll the rounds right upon the bottom plate and pull the lever.. I still cut, split handle and stack all of my firewood. My old back loves having this old hydraulic.. Younger guys might love the others.. One trick for HUGE rounds, and I do get some along 24 inches plus.. I made a big wooden wedge and a big ole Mallet our of Elem. Sometimes only one side a a big oak round opens up. I slip the big wedge into the middle of the round and pound it with the big mallet. Cracks open everytime. My Splitter sits under a roof and I haul my rounds to the barn, roll them in and sit on a 5 gallon bucket to split. That's my rainy day job...Split stack and take meds for my back.. ha. Ha..

Back