drawing straws with Big John: who's going to work w/ deaf blind crane operator

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphy4trees

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
OK,
Before I even start I have to make a disclaimer... I never would have even tried this guy out if there was the right money on this job... There is a great crane outfit which most of the tree guys in our area like to work with... he charges about 300 in travel time... For the past 5 years or so, he's the only crane company I have worked with. Now I originally had 3,800 on this split white oak in the backyard, but reduced it to a ridiculous price to match a low baller, because it was my turf and the builder who refered the customer is a good client..

So I get this guy to come in for 500 for 1/2 day including travel... in a '77 Grove, OMG... never again... Turns out the guy is effectively deaf, with the motor running right behind him, and partially blind in one eye (and wreckless).. Big John didn;t take his eyes off the guy as he was setting up...

Once we had the downed half out, we were deciding whether to pic the top or bomb it first, then pic off the ground... Tree had a backlean, but still very doable..

So I asked John if he wanted to ride the crane to pic the top... He said "I've got two kids... you only got one", made a balancing motion with his hands, and walked away... That was enough for me to make the call to pull the top over... So I rode the wire and bombed out what I could off the backside, then set two pull lines, got off the wire and dropped the top.. from just above the split...

It all worked out with the only pics made with the climber aloft were two pieces of trunk wood, that John cut pretty small... No damage... We took two full loads of chips with a 14' forestry body... and had to come back for the rakings..

Makes a good story... though I'd rather have gotten the 3,800 and paid for a real crane...

How old was the operator, and did you get pics of him and his rig? For some reason I have a picture in my head of a crane operator with a peg leg, an eye patch, and very grey hair.

I did take a few pics of the crane from the wire... I just had my puter rebuilt and haven;t downloaded any shots onto it yet... so it may be a while before I can get them up....

I don't know-my main crane guy is totally deaf in one ear and half deaf in the other. We have done hundreds of jobs together and no problems have arisen from his not being able to hear well. Hand signals all the way. Of course he has been running cranes for a few decades and usually knows what to do before even i know. He's actually saved my butt on more than one occasion.

Latest posts

Back