dremel for rakers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to do my Rakers on two chains this morning. I usually do this with a file, by the time I got to the second chain, I got out the dremel. Much much easier, faster, more precise, and I can maintain the shape of the rakers while I'm removing metal. Never will I file again.

Agreed. The drum sander on the Dremel works perfectly. I put the chain in my chain vise if it's off the saw or the bar in the bench vise if it's still mounted. File-o-plate in one hand, Dremel in the other. Check, grind, check, next. Repeat. I file cutters by hand, but I don't need to cramp up my hand to lower the rakers.

One thing about those rakers. Slightly high they are hard to tell on the bench, but when cutting the difference is very noticeable. Having been neglected, and then brought back to 0.03 depth, it is like a new saw and chain.

Some of you guys need better files, three swipes with a sharp file will change a chain a lot, I personally dislike the dremel for chain work as the rpm's tend to burn cutters & I can file rakers just as fast. I did just get another chain grinder to set up just for rakers, I set it at 80° to put a slant on the raker, We'll see how that works.
I am in the process of moving to the country so I can spend more time actually cutting wood, lots of dead oak up here.

Yup, any time you are working with power tools and metal, go slow. I was having to take 10+ swipes with the file to get the rakers down. Seems a lot of the swipes weren't doing much. It was slow going and my results were inconsistent. With the dremel, I'm using a grinding attachment. It is very thin (1/8") and lets me see easily what I am doing, so there is both accuracy and ease.

dremel-rotary-tool-bits-85422-c3_1000.jpg

Some of you guys need better files, three swipes with a sharp file will change a chain a lot, I personally dislike the dremel for chain work as the rpm's tend to burn cutters & I can file rakers just as fast. I did just get another chain grinder to set up just for rakers, I set it at 80° to put a slant on the raker, We'll see how that works.
I am in the process of moving to the country so I can spend more time actually cutting wood, lots of dead oak up here.

Latest posts

Back