Drinking on the job,do you allow it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avalancher

Arboristsite Raconteur
Reaction score
I happened to lend a hand last week to a tree company, they give me a shout when they are shorthanded and I have some time.
With the warm weather here already, I was surprised at how much suds these guys put away at lunch time.By 3pm these guys were pretty slogged.

I counted no less than 20 bottles in the chip truck when I went to dump the thing.And there were only 4 guys there including me!

Now, I dont mean to step on any toes,if you allow drinking on the job then that is your business,but I know with my luck if I did tip back a few on my jobs OSHA would show up sure as shootin.Im not against slamming a few down after the day is over,but do any of you allow any beer on the job during working hours?

The thing that really puzzled me,these guys are pretty proffesional in everything else.owner mandates clean clothes,no tears or rips in your clothes if working in a residental setting.Trucks are washed and kept up,equipement is pretty new stuff and in good repair.Am I just to anal about the "no beer" until the day is over?

Absolutely not. If you work with me, no beer and no chemicals on my jobs. I don't know of any profession where drinking is acceptable on the job. Nor do I know of any "professional" that would do so. To much personal risk and liability in what we do to allow it.

I don't care what someone does on their own time. There's a time to work and a time to play.

The only time I might have a beer is when I get on my dirt 2track road heading out to my hunting property to dump a load of chips at the very end of the day. I have my wife or dog (as long as she isnt drinking) drive then. Other than that hell no.
What do the customers think or do they do it pretty secretively?

This reminds me of my first experiences with treework (partime) in the late 80's. I didn't partake... but them boys weren't right. Coolers full of bud, and doobers were the norm. Bunch of crazy bastards. Its no surprise to me that they are long gone really.

First reply NO NO NO. The only exception might be the end of the last job of the day. If the customer brought out 1 beer each then I'd let it, that is 30 years ago. Today being a bit wiser I'd probably tell the customer not to offer, Joe.

No way, no how. It just wouldn't happen on my crew. I always make it a point during a new employee's indoctrination to tell them that if they do drugs on the job, they'll find out they're fired by the cop that's walking through the door to arrest them.

The only time I might have a beer is when I get on my dirt 2track road heading out to my hunting property to dump a load of chips at the very end of the day. I have my wife or dog (as long as she isnt drinking) drive then. Other than that hell no.
What do the customers think or do they do it pretty secretively?

We were working on a small 3 acre tract of land, no houses around.How they handle it around homeowners,I have no idea.I have worked around them several times in the past and they were pretty open about drinking at lunchtime,but nothing like the other day.

Thats funny lol
Or you pass out ,wake up to find the shock collar on you:jawdrop:

how in the WORLD could you work while drinking alcohol?

i bet these are the types of guys that are totally against smoking pot too.

its usually the hardcore drunks that hate pot smokers and think pot is ruining the world, meanwhile they are too drunk to realize they are... well.. drunk

tree company drinking beer at lunch... that is pathetic, ANYONE who drinks during the day has issues, especially at work. thats too funny about the no ripped clothes, etc. be a stickler about all the #### that doesnt matter, meanwhile get drunk on the job everyday.. sounds like a real winner there.

No way, no how. It just wouldn't happen on my crew. I always make it a point during a new employee's indoctrination to tell them that if they do drugs on the job, they'll find out they're fired by the cop that's walking through the door to arrest them.

nice to see SOMEONE actually considers ALCOHOL a DRUG !!!
tell that to all "against drugs" retards that preach while they are drunk.

and i think you guys are forgetting one profession where its ok to drink on the clock, and even pay for it out of the project fund. UNION BOYS !

my friend is a pipefitter, he says their little crew of buddies easily raacks up $500 bills down the road at the local bar every lunch break, their hour lunch break regularly turns into 2-3 hours, and the foreman usually pays for it with the company project credit card. he didnt realize untill we explained to him, that tax payers money pays for most of the jobs hes worked on in the last 4 years.

Well,I guess its nice to know I aint the only one who frowns on alcohol on the job.I was starting to feel like an ass about it.

Latest posts

Back