Drinking on the job,do you allow it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well,I guess its nice to know I aint the only one who frowns on alcohol on the job.I was starting to feel like an ass about it.

Really? You feel like an ass for being the only sober guy on a crew that is supposedly doing life endangering work? Get the hell out of there and don't worry about it. When you drink a few beers how do you feel? Well those guys feel the same way; DRUNK!

One accident and the whole thing is in the crapper, I personally think the foreman/owner needs his head examined. Wonder what his insurance carrier would think of it...

I happened to lend a hand last week to a tree company, they give me a shout when they are shorthanded and I have some time.
With the warm weather here already, I was surprised at how much suds these guys put away at lunch time.By 3pm these guys were pretty slogged.

I counted no less than 20 bottles in the chip truck when I went to dump the thing.And there were only 4 guys there including me!

Now, I dont mean to step on any toes,if you allow drinking on the job then that is your business,but I know with my luck if I did tip back a few on my jobs OSHA would show up sure as shootin.Im not against slamming a few down after the day is over,but do any of you allow any beer on the job during working hours?

The thing that really puzzled me,these guys are pretty proffesional in everything else.owner mandates clean clothes,no tears or rips in your clothes if working in a residental setting.Trucks are washed and kept up,equipement is pretty new stuff and in good repair.Am I just to anal about the "no beer" until the day is over?

Man those guys sound like they have worked up quite a tolerance for beer. It amazing. What if one of those cans falls out in the drive of a client?

We will stop and throw some beer in the cooler before we get out of town. We will usually pop a top once we have made our dump but from that point it is a 2 mile ride home on the back road. I guess they could get me for open container but I live in the backwoods of Oklahoma... Not many Johnny Laws out this way. :D

I used to take a beer if a customer offered but turn it down now. Wouldn't want to get pulled over hauling a load with beer on my breath. Just not worth the risk...

That was back in the good old days though, haven't had a beer in three weeks now... And it SUCKS!!!

When I was younger, I use to do side work with some buddies who would tell me to meet them at the shop at 6:00 am SHARP!

I'd show up and sure enough, like I thought, they already had the beer cracked open.

Most days we would spend the day driving around in the chip truck, going to jobs and then making excuses not to do the job! "oh, that car is parked way too close to the tree, we can't do this, lets go to the bar and wait for that person to move the car."

Man, working with those guys was absurd. I can recall one week where I was in the negative. I showed up for work every morning, didn't make more than $100, but ended up spending around $500 at the bar that week. (yeah, I was no better than they were)

Never been one to drink on the job. I did spend most of my free time and money in the bars at one time. Lots of times I was to hung over to work so I drank more. It's a sorry way to live your life.

We will usually pop a top once we have made our dump but from that point it is a 2 mile ride home on the back road.

first i must say i live in new jersey, so compared to you, my outlook on most things are TOTALLY different, especially matters involving police ( we have one every mile , hiding)

i have to ask.. why cant you just wait till you drive those 2 miles back to your lot/house or wherever u you park and THEN pop some open?
its none of my business but it seems like that 2 miles is a short distance to wait for what could be a load of tickets and/or arrest over something like a bottle of beer? just wait the 2 miles then drink the first beer twice as fast when you get home, no?

Last edited:
Logging and drinking? Just dont work. Most days im lucky not to get killed not drinking. Couldnt imagine trying to log while drunk. Guess those fellas are just special. And really dumb.:cheers:

first i must say i live in new jersey, so compared to you, my outlook on most things are TOTALLY different.

i have to ask.. why cant you just wait till you drive those 2 miles back to your lot/house or wherever u you park and THEN pop some open?
its none of my business but it seems like that 2 miles is a short distance to wait for what could be a load of tickets and/or arrest , if you lived out here at least

Old habits. I am actually old enough to remember when you could legally ride around with a beer between your legs as long as you were not drunk driving. No justification for doing it now. I suppose I could have never mentioned it. I imagine I could tell you that I never speed either but that would be a lie. Fact is, I am not a perfect person and don't always follow the letter of the law. I doubt many on here do. At least I am honest about it. I don't drive drunk. And if the cops wanted to they could pull over all the working Joes around here and most would have a beer between their legs on the way home... But like I said, not many cops around here.

And to be perfectly honest, the road is the same road that I take into my hunting area. I fish there as well. Our town's chief of police runs cattle on the land we hunt. I see him often at the gate and say hello...with a beer between my legs...I had a local cop stop by the dam where me and my dad was fishing right on the low water dam that the gravel road crosses last year. We had a cooler with some beer in it and had about 4 empties in a plastic bag I was using for garbage. Me and my dad also had one between our legs. The cop asked if the fish were biting and if we had caught anything. We told him no and he said good luck and good bye. That's how it goes in the backwoods of OK. It's also why I prefer to live here and not Jersey. ;)

no way!

not on the job.

I rarely drink off the job so it don't matter much to me.

If I saw or smelled it on the job,I'd be packed up and gone!

Banshee67,

Just so you know, this is the road and area we are talking about. My dump location is maybe 200 yards from this spot:

07-03-07_1824.jpg

Bottom line, drinking on the job is a stupid idea. I don't think anyone in their right mind would say drinking and running a chainsaw is a good idea. Let alone climbing or driving with a heavy load.

All this talk about drinking and I just remembered I left my beer on the counter and it's getting warm. I work the night shift and when I got off this morning I went and dug out 4 pine stumps for my friends HOA. I couldn't get my stump grinder to them. When I got home, I pulled one of the last two Fat Dogs out of the frig. Whenever I take my daughter back to school, in Reading Pa, I stop at a steak house micro brewery and get a couple six packs of their special brews. The name of the steak house is Stoudts. I really like their Octoberfest and the one I have now is an Imperial Oatmeal Stout, called Fat Dog. It has a picture of a big old Black Lab on the bottle. I took her back to school before the big snow storm and brought home 2 six packs and I have 1 left now, Joe.

Absolutely , daily suds and sawdust, that makes me a better climber , and the ground guys like to smoke crack in the prisoner cabs when were on our way home , then when we get into the yard we like to taze each other completely naked....It this not occupationally sound behavior???

I don't know of any profession where drinking is acceptable on the job.

Maybe things have changed since then, but back in 1992 my sheriff got seriously drunk at a Michigan Sheriffs' Association meeting. I'm sure he wasn't the only one either. Why do you need booze at law enforcement leadership meetings?

Then he proceeded to drive home with my undersheriff riding with him. State troopers caught them for DUI on M-50, so naturally they tried to blame it on the troopers who caught them. If it weren't for 'professional courtesy', the Jackson County sheriff wouldn't have let them (or any other drunks from that meeting) out of the parking lot without handcuffs.

When I was 21 I worked part time nights at a liquor store in my small hometown. I did it more to get hooked up with a girl that worked there than the small amount of money I made. We had a small city police force, I think we had 6 officers. LOL, the Sargent was an older guy who liked to drink. He would call ahead of time to the manager at the liquor store where I worked and I'd meet him out in the back alley with a pint of liquor. He'd pull up in his cruiser and pay me cash for it right in the alley. He was the same officer that would breakup fights in the Food Lion parking lot where the teenagers would congregate when I was a kid. He'd break up the big fight of the night, go car to car and make everyone pour their beer out then send everyone home. It was a whole different world back then. It is surely a new day today. But then again we didn't have teenagers carrying guns and killing each other either.

Also, when I was a kid I worked at the Elks Club setting up chairs and tables, helping prepare banquets for weddings and functions, working as a bar runner during parties and functions and cleaning up afterward. Every one of the old guys that I worked for there were alcoholics I would say. They were also all ww2 vets. We had one great big old guy who would buff the floors every Saturday morning. He was in his 60's or 70's and was still a brute with muscles coming out of his head. We would take a break every Saturday morning, the chef (old Army cook) would fix a big old breakfast and we'd all sit down and eat together. The old guy who buffed the floors would drink 2 Hienikens every morning with his breakfast. Most of them that worked there would drink all day long from the manager on down. I figured that if they had fought and survived ww2 they had earned the right to drink everyday, as much as they wanted til the cows came home if they wanted.

There are alcoholics in every profession. I've had to deal with it on my jobs before. I had to fight one guy to make him leave my job site when he showed back up from lunch drunk. If someone wants to drink I could care less. But find a job where you can get away with it. It's not going to happen in my operation. I used to like to drink more than my share too but I never brought it to my job and I won't tolerate it out of anyone who works for me.

Last edited:
Banshee67,

Just so you know, this is the road and area we are talking about. My dump location is maybe 200 yards from this spot:

07-03-07_1824.jpg

Bottom line, drinking on the job is a stupid idea. I don't think anyone in their right mind would say drinking and running a chainsaw is a good idea. Let alone climbing or driving with a heavy load.

thats a road!?! yea.. little different than jersey! lol

What does it sound like?

That is one bigass boom tube on that saw. How does it sound and most of all does the saw just have more bark then bite with that mod. :cheers:

steve

If I have a beer with the guys, it is at the end of the day, back at the shop (my house) while cleaning the saws. And then only one if they're driving home.

A company I know of lost a good government contract because his workers got caught drinking on the job. They were working on a military base and the residents reported them. He wasn't even there at the time.

Latest posts

Back