Drinking on the job,do you allow it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drinking on the job , you allow it

NO Never. I used to be a real Drunk 80's . but not on the Job after work wahoo
Never would I work with people that were

Is this a serious question?

I'm a newbie to the site and like it a lot. But I've got to wonder, Is the guy wondering about drinking on the job (a job rated as one of the more dangerous ones), also complaining about not making enough money? A wide awake business man, committed to running a successful business would never even consider it. Questions and practices like that keep our industry in the dark ages, and some working for dirt cheap.

I guess I was pretty lucky when I started out. I lived with the first guy I started out doing tree work for. I was 21 and moved in with the guy. I think he wanted to keep me around so he would be sure that I would show up for work :).

He was the first one to put me in a tree, teach me knots and basic climbing. He was definitely a drunk but he had enough sense to not drink on the job or allow any pot smoking. His favorite saying was there's a time to work and a time to play. I kind of adopted the same philosophy. I have worked with crews since who would smoke dope on the job but I never did. I like to bring my A game when I work. I think most professionals do.

Last edited:
I'm a newbie to the site and like it a lot. But I've got to wonder, Is the guy wondering about drinking on the job (a job rated as one of the more dangerous ones), also complaining about not making enough money? A wide awake business man, committed to running a successful business would never even consider it. Questions and practices like that keep our industry in the dark ages, and some working for dirt cheap.

No, Im not complaining about not making enough money. I run my own tree service myself, and like I said in my original post,I worked with the company that seems to look the other way about the drinking when they need some additional help and I have the time.After the last work day and witnessing what I considered very unsafe practises I had decided to "be too busy" next time they call for help,but also didnt want to be an azz about it if its a common practise to look the other way.

I asked the question because I wondered if it was a little more widespread problem than what I realized.I myself do not allow anyone to be under the influence of any substance myself,nor do I drink anywhere but on the back porch at home.

What made you think I was complaining about not making enough money?

I didn't say you were complaining about not enough money, instead wondering if you did. I know from experience that most bad business practices (drinking on the job, or just doing poor work), show up in the bottom line- not enough money.

After reading this whole thread I am feeling a little more normal. I have a zero tolerance policy toward ANY drug on my work sites. I also explain this in detail to my guys before they come to work for me. To my knowledge no one has ever breached this policy but they would be walking home with a dismissal slip in their pocket if they did. I am not dying or killing someone else because some druggo/alcho just had to have a hit.

Sorry avalancher if I sounded like I was being critical to you personally, I wasn't.
It bugs me to hear stories of guys (like you mentioned) with chip trucks full of empties, we have them here too. Homeowners see that enough they think we all are willing to work only for beer money!

LOL, yeah, I guess I should say we were just good friends. His girlfriend also lived there too until she left him to move back to her home in another state.

He always kept a hand around. He took in an orphan kid after I left and went out to work on my own. When He got severely injured on the job and could no longer work he told me to take the kid and put him to work. I kind of inherited the kid (17). We were a pretty tight nit group back in those days.

Sorry avalancher if I sounded like I was being critical to you personally, I wasn't.
It bugs me to hear stories of guys (like you mentioned) with chip trucks full of empties, we have them here too. Homeowners see that enough they think we all are willing to work only for beer money!

No harm done,not ruffled in the least.Welcome to AS!

It bugs me to,but since I havent worked with a lot of different companies like many of you guys, I hesitated to say anything.Figured since it aint my job and I was just temp help it wasnt my place to say anything.All I could do was refuse the beer,mention that I dont drink while on the job, and crack open a Dew instead.Teach by example so to speak.

That is one bigass boom tube on that saw. How does it sound and most of all does the saw just have more bark then bite with that mod. :cheers:

steve

its a total joke :D
i stole that picture from the internets , but shhhhh dont tell anyone:jawdrop:

I worked for maybe 3 weeks with a crew that were drunks. They would fall a sleep at lunch and I wouldn't be able to wake them. The grounds man would send a beer up the rope to the climber in the tree. After work before hitting the yard a volley of beer cans or bottles would fly out the window of the trucks I was following. It came to a head when I was working at a grade school, the ground man was drinking vodka from a jar (it was maybe 9:00am)I could see him using his foot to push brush into the self feed chipper, I came down stopped the job loaded up the trucks and went back to the yard. Never went back. Several months later the owner gave me a bad job reference, saying I walked off a job with out finishing. Go figure. Beast.

Carlsberg breweries in Copenhagen is on strike right now because management wants to cut the daily beer ration for the workers from 3 bottles to 1.

When I was a kid, my dad's shop was located across from Molson's brewery. The workers were given 2 cases (12's) a week and would unlimited access to the tap room at lunchtime.

When I was a young forester in a small town, Friday afternoons, you could count several company trucks lined up behind the pub (we all took the trucks home).

Logging and drinking? Just dont work. Most days im lucky not to get killed not drinking. Couldnt imagine trying to log while drunk. Guess those fellas are just special. And really dumb.:cheers:

im with u on that, making an already dangerous job even worse. it reminds me of one of my favorite sayings, NO BRAINS, NO HEADACHES:agree2:

Latest posts

Back