Drive Sprocket Needle Bearing Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chy_farm

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Two weeks ago I got my first Mcculloch, SP40, and now I'm checking several parts around clutch and sprocket.To me, the needle bearing on drive shaft looks a little too loose in clutch bore. My Husqy and Tanaka are no so loose like this. In this case I'd normally think the wear of the needle bearing causes this loose. Now my issue is a guy on ebay states that "It uses a loose style bearing" for Spur Sprocket on Mcculloch SuperPro40 (McCulloch 85504 Clutch Drum Sprocket 1 4" 250 Pitch 8T PM510 SP40 PM6A Mini Mac | eBay).
This drive shaft has 10mm diameter,and bore of the spur sprocket 13mm. Width of this needle bearing 9.8mm. I do not know If this needle bearing might be one sold on Bailey's(Oregon Drive Sprocket Needle Bearing (10x13x10)), or if this must be another type of bearing with other sizes which meets "loose style".

Thanks for any input.

"loose style bearing" refered to is a caged needle assembly. Drawn cup needle bearing is the style where the outside diameter is a press fit in the sprocket/drum.

The bearing listed by Baileys most likely will work. 10x13x10 mm is 'nominal' and therefore not exact size. Actual dimensions may be on Torrington's website.

If all else fails, I have gotten by with a bronze bushing from my local hardware store. Use a hacksaw to cut it to length.

Very thanks for your tips, 67L36Driver. Now I learned two types of needle bearings. Watching NSK's page as follows,
Needle Roller Bearings | Roller Bearings | Products | NSK Global

Anyhow in my case, this looseness looks too much, I think, my Husqy and Tanaka also have caged needle bearings on the same units yet they are much tight. I think I should replace this.

Thanks again for your welcome!!!

Hi, RandyMac. Once in a while i read your coments here, and also watching your "manly and masculine" big bar!
Tell me what this "PM" stands for?

Hi, RandyMac. Once in a while i read your coments here, and also watching your "manly and masculine" big bar!
Tell me what this "PM" stands for?

PM stands for "Private Message" and it is a message which does not get posted to the forum, but only goes to who that person.

Click on Randy's user name, choose "Private Message" then continue...

Latest posts

Back