Driver thicknes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaisedByWolves

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Can someone tell me the difference between chains of the same pitch with different driver thicknesses?

Are the thicker/thinner drivers for different purposes? Can I use whatever driver size (.058 vs .063) as long as I match them to the bar?

I would think the thicker drivers would wear better and save on sprocket wear, given the same chain size.

Any advise on what to set a SXL-925 up with for use with a 28" bar?

Thanks, Eric

I will go with the .050 on your saw,thats what Oregon gives in their book.Thickness is a matter of preference,but the the thinnest are less heavy and they make a thinner cur cut.I dont think on your saw you will get a big difference of wear even with a .063.And probably also,.050 chain and bar are easier to find also unless in your area a lot of guys are using .063

Agreed. But I should have been more specific.

I have found a used bar that is the length I need and Im wondering if I should go with this size or with a smaller size. The mention of .o5o taking a thinner cut hadent occoured to me. I was thinking the 3/8" chains would all cut the same width, just using a thicker drive links.

Is there any difference in the durability of the thicker bars vs the thinner guage ones?

Eric

The differences in strength between the different chain gauges is neglible enough that it isn't worth worrying about for almost all users. Buy whichever gauge you like, and can get chains and bars for easily.

HiOctane said:
but the thinnest are less heavy and they make a thinner cur cut.

drive link thickness has no effect on cut width.
Oregon 72LG 0.050,73LG 0.058,75LG 0.063
all use the same cutters and tie straps.
the only difference is the drive links.
the 0.063 also uses a different preset.

gatkeper1 said:

The 0.050 and 0.58 are the same width chassis, the 0.63 is slightly wider in the chassis. The cutter width is the same, but because they are spaced that slight extra width by the wider drive link, the kerf on 0.63 is actually a tiny bit wider.

gatkeper1 is correct about the .050, .058, .063 chains.
Also how is the new saw running?

I always thought that reason they had different gauges wuz, so you could upgrade your chain to a thicker 58 guage, when your 50 gage chain, got floppy, in your worn 50 gage bar, and make your saw cut straight again.

Chainsaw Master said:
I always thought that reason they had different gauges wuz, so you could upgrade your chain to a thicker 58 guage, when your 50 gage chain, got floppy, in your worn 50 gage bar, and make your saw cut straight again.
I have done that with .063 chain on a worn .058 bar, and it was about as effective as peeing in the pants to stay warm.

It sort of worked for vertical cuts, but not for anything else, because the groove wears to a slight "V" shape which does not support the drivers properly.
:deadhorse:

Latest posts

Back