Dropping an 80' pole between some powerline.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR4WD

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Here's a video from work today. Dropped 2 80' cedar after we set a new structure up the hill to replace the old one. Not a BAD lay for the first pole that's been standing dead since '81 with NO hinge and a runway pretty near all the way up. Doesn't look like it, but it was between energized 230,000 volt phases and pretty damn cold out. -25c.

Put it down with an MS 260, 20" bar and some .325 chain with WAY low rakers. OLD cedar cuts easy with small dust. Drop the rakers less than half way to the bar and you might get some chips. Pretty grabby for a small saw though. First was 30" DBH, second was 24".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzg3O5g8v_4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuJjOa5bFc4

Edit: work saws are 260's. Good climbing saws. Would have preferred my hot 372 with an 8 pin and 24" bar with NO rakers to drop this wood FWIW
Edit two: got the second video up!!

Last edited:
Why no hinge?
And why doesn't your 372 have rakers?

Cedar's a really soft wood. Cedar that's been in the air for 30 years is a really dry, soft wood. There's no holding wood on the hinges whenever you drop them. It's more of a pivot point than a hinge!

My 372 has full rakers, but I would have preferred to use IT rather than my companies saws, which are small. We file the rakers way down because the cutters never load up. I quickly dropped about 20 of those lodgepole and spruce on the edge of the right of way the other day with the MS260 with short rakers. That was a chore, everybody knows what it's like using a saw with short rakers in regular wood.

Something I forgot to point out is I rolled out the first one 180 degrees and made the second one drop on plane. When you roll a pole/tree out, how do you make it drop on the exact mark you want it to?

Latest posts

Back