Dropping chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saw Dr.

Junk Collector
Reaction score
Does anyone else have a rule about trying to grab a chain if gravity gets ahold of it? I always say let it fall and pick it up after. Violated my own rule yesterday on a freshly sharpened chain, and now have a big cut on the fingerprint of my ring finger. Stupid Oregon Vanguard chain too, not even a good one. I should wear gloves when dealing with chains, but I always have dirty hands and do not want to ruin a pair of gloves from the inside out.

I'm just getting over removing a chunk of meat from the side of my hand. I was helping my FIL on Christmas day and reached over the bow bar on a 266...well, I didn't reach quite far enough over and took a divot out of the flesh.

It's pretty hard to drop something and not try to catch it. That's how this guy figured out I was ex KGB by intentionally dropping a cup of coffee to see if I would catch it, which I did. Had I just let it drop, I could have betrayed them and procured the case to sell to the Russians, and gotten away with it. Oh well, reflexes die hard.

Definitely instinctive, worked with a groundie who caught an hs85 hedge cutter by the blade when the climber dropped it, he kept his fingers but it was ugly, he just did it without thinking

It's pretty hard to drop something and not try to catch it. That's how this guy figured out I was ex KGB by intentionally dropping a cup of coffee to see if I would catch it, which I did. Had I just let it drop, I could have betrayed them and procured the case to sell to the Russians, and gotten away with it. Oh well, reflexes die hard.
But what color was the boathouse!!!????!!!

Being a former soccer player I have been known to try and catch falling objects with my feet as well, never seems to go well. I have had my share of cuts as well and my daughter sports a nasty scar on her foot from an encounter with a saw in the garage.

Last edited:
Knocked a drill motor off the bench one day and reached out with my foot to keep the bit from breaking. Bit went through my boot and into my foot and still broke. Should have just let it fall.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I don't think I ever had a chain sharp enough to actually cut myself with.

I have extras for all AV mounts on my saws so when they wear out from me pushing I just replace em.

;)

Does anyone else have a rule about trying to grab a chain if gravity gets ahold of it? I always say let it fall and pick it up after. Violated my own rule yesterday on a freshly sharpened chain, and now have a big cut on the fingerprint of my ring finger. Stupid Oregon Vanguard chain too, not even a good one. I should wear gloves when dealing with chains, but I always have dirty hands and do not want to ruin a pair of gloves from the inside out.
I have sharpened a few chains in my time & done the same as you did, so I invested in a thick rubber mat that goes under & around the bench I use to sharpen chains, now if I have one fall I stand clear & let it fall & it suffers no damage to the cutters etc. Other places I still let it drop, if damaged it repairs much easier than I do.

Back