droulet tundra with 5.5in chimney liner?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpwelding2005

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
anyone running a droulet tundra into a 5.5in liner? i know it specs out for a 6in but my clay tile flue is 6.75x10.25 id and there's no way to fit a 6in liner and insulation in. my chimney is 30ft tall from the stove pipe inlet to the top and its completely exterior so insulation is a must. reason they mentioned the 5.5in vs a ovalized 6in was it would be between $400-$500 less for the 5.5in. if i do the 5.5in i would only have enough room to run 1/4in insulation vs 1/2in which i feel is recommended. looking for advice and thoughts form everyone on here. don't what to spend the money and put it all in and have piss poor results.

anyone running a droulet tundra into a 5.5in liner? i know it specs out for a 6in but my clay tile flue is 6.75x10.25 id and there's no way to fit a 6in liner and insulation in. my chimney is 30ft tall from the stove pipe inlet to the top and its completely exterior so insulation is a must. reason they mentioned the 5.5in vs a ovalized 6in was it would be between $400-$500 less for the 5.5in. if i do the 5.5in i would only have enough room to run 1/4in insulation vs 1/2in which i feel is recommended. looking for advice and thoughts form everyone on here. don't what to spend the money and put it all in and have piss poor results.
If this is an exterior chimney I'd just do 6" with no insulation. Insulation is usually required when the chimney is interior and next to combustibles. The chimney will still keep the pipe warm enough to draft.

General rule of thumb is that you can go up or down 1 size from recommended with no problems. You'll be fine with a 5.5", especially with that much height. Defiantly insulate on an exterior chimney, even 1/4" better than nothing. I'd put a manual damper in the stove pipe to keep the draft in check if it is needed, cheap to buy, easy to install while you are at it, much more work to add on later. Don't hafta use it if ya don't need it.

well i do have a manometer permanently mounted with a baro because when it gets really wind out my draft gets real high. but when its still out it drops to .02 so that's why i was hopeing a insulated liner would help with my draft at those times

Yes, a 5.5" liner will be fine. You're in the same boat I once was. A 32' chimney with a 7x11 liner. I had erratic draft along with condensation. After lining the chimney with a 5.5" liner, performance improved quite a bit.

oh i completely for got to mention all the problems with condensation, i was hoping the ins liner would help with that also. thanks for the info laynes :)

Yes, a 5.5" liner will be fine. You're in the same boat I once was. A 32' chimney with a 7x11 liner. I had erratic draft along with condensation. After lining the chimney with a 5.5" liner, performance improved quite a bit.

how was it fitting that 5.5in liner down your clay flue? thinking after the liner and insulation wrap it will be 6.5in min o.d. and the small side of my flue is 6.75 i.d.

I installed a rigid liner and poured vermiculite around the liner. There was places that had a tight fit. A flex liner wouldn't fit. From what your saying, it may not fit. Duraliner I think sells a double walled rigid liner that can be dropped down in sections.

I installed a rigid liner and poured vermiculite around the liner. There was places that had a tight fit. A flex liner wouldn't fit. From what your saying, it may not fit. Duraliner I think sells a double walled rigid liner that can be dropped down in sections.
yes they do. That's what I have.

Latest posts

Back