Dry cedar??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odog

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
so I have a bunch of 50-60 year old cedar coming in for free. They are old power poles, 55' length and have been drying in the sun while holding up power lines for the last 50+ years. Only the bottom 10' are treated the rest is great. I know they'll burn like paper, but what do you guys think otherwise. It's free so I'm out nothing.

I'd reserve some for splitting into kindling. Cedar smells great for use in fire pits. As you mentioned burn times will be less than desirable. Burn it in the round, or if you have to split, keep it as large as possible to still fit through your stove door.

I burn low BTU wood on days I'm home. I've got no problem throwing a few logs in every 90 minutes. Save the better stuff for overnight burns.

It should be good kindling, these are about 18" poles so 1 split should be enough, and I think I'll just use it to get the fire going and in fire pits. Its not locust but it's free so I wont complain. I may even be able to get them to deliver it to my place for free

I love cedar!! I pruned and took down a few damaged trees a couple years ago after a winter storm damaged some of them. I use it to start the firepit and once it gets hot I throw a few bigger pieces on. It burns really nice, but beware it will chuck hot coals a few feet when it pops.

I like cedar. We have some here but not many, mostly pines. Nice straight clean logs would be slick to build like logcabin doghouses out of, or a woodshed maybe, leave big cracks for air flow.

Zogger that is a good idea. Along with the power poles I'm also getting the 4x10 cross beams so I have a lot of stuff to work with. I need a wood shed, I think I'm going to draw up something and use a good chunk of these poles for that

I love cedar for starting my stove in the morning. I cut the rounds to 10" long, split off some tiny pieces for kindling, throw some chunks of it on top.

and wind blown sand............and dirt.............
Out here in this desert wind blown sand is in everything! But I did find a bonus, each pole has an 80' long solid copper grounding wire running the length of it

I think I may have enough for both.
the only thing is,, once cut,, its over for pole use.. and them is hard to get hold of round here....damn power co's cut them to pieces.......seems some dip,, built a shed,, then tried to sue the power co,, because the pole was bad................serious............

the only thing is,, once cut,, its over for pole use.. and them is hard to get hold of round here....damn power co's cut them to pieces.......seems some dip,, built a shed,, then tried to sue the power co,, because the pole was bad................serious............
Seriously!! That's messed up. The power co around here is pretty good. I do quite a bit of drilling and blasting for them, any time they have to replace poles we have to shoot a new hole. They are supposed to haul the poles 110 miles back to the main yard, but if they can find somewhere close to get rid of them it's better. These have been in since the 60's and are due to be replaced. I've seen a bunch that have come out and they are solid throughout, just super dry

Seriously!! That's messed up. The power co around here is pretty good. I do quite a bit of drilling and blasting for them, any time they have to replace poles we have to shoot a new hole. They are supposed to haul the poles 110 miles back to the main yard, but if they can find somewhere close to get rid of them it's better. These have been in since the 60's and are due to be replaced. I've seen a bunch that have come out and they are solid throughout, just super dry
you wouldnt believe,, the places ive been around to,, working for a guy,, and power poles cut up by the dozens!!! and some of them I knew,, weren't over 5 years old,, and many had a 20 inch base. they were TALLLLLLL

Oh these are tall, they are for the cross country transmission lines. They're getting replaced by steel now. And the bases are around 18-20". The power company has a drill, not a digger Derrick but an actual drill with a down hole hammer. It'll drill a 24-30" hole in the rock, but it's for side of the road jobs. These cross country lines are better accessed by my track drills.

I burn ceder from time to time, smells great, It does make a pretty hot fire though it don't last long.
I like the blue flames and different colors it puts off.
Since its free I'd use it as a filler along with other wood.

Or might make a good pole barn for wood storage.

Back