drying cherry ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How bad is cherry for checking and warping? I'll be milling a bit of that today.

Ian

My experience with cherry is that it is average as far as splitting and warping goes, maybe a bit above average (meaning a little worse). It doesn't dry as stable as oak or walnut or poplar. I found that how well a wood dries in a stickered pile has a lot to do with how it was milled. Quartersawn or riftsawn boards give far less problems than flatsawn, and in general the thicker the board the more stable it will dry without twisting. Flip side though is as soon as you start getting into more than 8/4 stuff (2 inch thick) then it does often check as the outside of the board dries faster than the center.

My experience with cherry is that it is average as far as splitting and warping goes, maybe a bit above average (meaning a little worse). It doesn't dry as stable as oak or walnut or poplar. I found that how well a wood dries in a stickered pile has a lot to do with how it was milled. Quartersawn or riftsawn boards give far less problems than flatsawn, and in general the thicker the board the more stable it will dry without twisting. Flip side though is as soon as you start getting into more than 8/4 stuff (2 inch thick) then it does often check as the outside of the board dries faster than the center.

Interesting. I've had more problems with oak than cherry. Walnut has been the easiest, by far, but cherry has worked well for me, although I do have a couple of boards off of one tree that were a bit wild, but the tree was a mess.

Mark

How bad is cherry for checking and warping? I'll be milling a bit of that today.

Ian

You might want to wax the ends if it is green.As i have found that cherry cracks more than most.If it has been dead awhile before milling,not so bad.I do love the sweet smell of it though.

Don't forget the camera:givebeer:

cherry.jpg

I started to, but I think it has carb problems. No power and it's spitting a lot of gas back onto the air filter. I have a wet spot the size of a silver dollar on the felt. I need to go back into the carb and see if the metering lever is out of whack. I did a search (hurray for me!) and found a nice diagram on how to adjust the lever. I put the 372 (gulp!) on the mill with the 28" bar and a loop of 3/8 full skip semi-chisel. That made better time than the 041 with LP ripping chain.

One thing I'm figuring out with the LP is that you have got to stay on top of your bar dressing. Just a little mushroom on the edges and the bar becomes wider than the kerf and it jams up.

Ian

Last edited:
I started to, but I think it has carb problems. No power and it's spitting a lot of gas back onto the air filter. I have a wet spot the size of a silver dollar on the felt. I need to go back into the carb and see if the metering lever is out of whack. I did a search (hurray for me!) and found a nice diagram on how to adjust the lever. I put the 372 (gulp!) on the mill with the 28" bar and a loop of 3/8 full skip semi-chisel. That made better time than the 041 with LP ripping chain.

One thing I'm figuring out with the LP is that you have got to stay on top of your bar dressing. Just a little mushroom on the edges and the bar becomes wider than the kerf and it jams up.

Ian

That's why i don't use it.Not worth the hassel:dizzy:

Ian

never had that problem with lp chain, or any problem for that matter. I'm always on top of bar dressing anyway, as I am with all maintenence, maybe thats why.

I've found cherry easy to dry. Funny, but I always found oak a bigger pain to dry well. But then I can't stand oak, so its another reason to dislike it maybe.

I sticker my cherry outdoors for 2 to 3 months, then bring it indoors, and put the heat right to it. Doesn't check or crack worse than any others. I find birch the most stable, rarely cracks or warps for me.

Latest posts

Back