Drying white oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodkutter99

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am cutting firewood out of a woods that was logged last year. It is mostly white oak and hickory, some red oak and cherry. My question is how long should it take to season this wood. I am just cutting the tree tops the loggers left, so the wood ranges from 20" to around 4".

husky 338xpt 51 55
jonsered cs2165

They are all great woods, and if properly stacked, should be ready by next winter.Some would say two winters, but it depends on your weather conditions.
Keep reading threads for stacking ideas.
I like the things I bought at homedepot that slide onto parrellel 2x4s , but I don't know if the sell them this time of year.

I'd get the Oaks split as soon as you can and stacked so that they dry out. I just popped open some Red Oak rounds today that were cut last Fall, and they still had considerable water/aroma to them. The Hickory and Cherry should dry faster than the Oaks, but get them split too; you'll start burning in 6 months! Good luck!

If you split and stack it now you should be able to burn it next winter. I like to give green wood at least a year. But it will burn.

Latest posts

Back