Dual port mufflers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carvinmark

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just baught one for my MS460,used,off e-bay,from a private seller.What a joke,It looks like a kid modified it and it doesn't even fit. My local Stihl dealers are nice enough guys, but not into ANY performance mods at all.They tell me that if I want more performance-buy a bigger saw.They claim that Stihl does not make a dual port muffler or cover. Can anybody tell me the correct #'s for this. Both dealers in my area said if I can get the #'s,they will try.I am rebuilding an 066,can I get one for that from Stihl? Oh ya,BIGGER saw? I run a 395XP on my mill all stock but it is designated to the mill and my old 056 is just to heavy, I dont think it would out perform my MS460. Not trying to bash any brands, I have two huskys,and a dozen stihls,one echo,ect.

:givebeer:
carvinmark said:
I just baught one for my MS460,used,off e-bay,from a private seller.What a joke,It looks like a kid modified it and it doesn't even fit. My local Stihl dealers are nice enough guys, but not into ANY performance mods at all.They tell me that if I want more performance-buy a bigger saw.They claim that Stihl does not make a dual port muffler or cover. Can anybody tell me the correct #'s for this. Both dealers in my area said if I can get the #'s,they will try.I am rebuilding an 066,can I get one for that from Stihl? Oh ya,BIGGER saw? I run a 395XP on my mill all stock but it is designated to the mill and my old 056 is just to heavy, I dont think it would out perform my MS460. Not trying to bash any brands, I have two huskys,and a dozen stihls,one echo,ect.

carvinmark said:

There are several of the Stihl Dual port covers on Ebay right now. Some of them are new, some are used. I dont know the number off hand, I do have one on my 460.

No, It looks like someone cut a hole in the left side and screwed a deflector on. The deflector hits the body of the saw. It was advertized as a stihl part,it is but it was modded, scared to try e-bay.

fishhuntcutwood said:
1128 140 0801

Good Lord yes it'll improve performance. Along with the 660's dual port, it's the easiest bolt-on, warrantee legal mod out there. My 044, 440, 460, and 660 all have dual ports on them. I consider it standard equipment.

Jeff

'Swhat I bought. According to Lakeside, whom I have no desire or basis with which to quesition, even this cover could use some help. Spaghetti or no spaghetti, I plan to warm my muffler over some.

Before you get keelhauled, try a "search" for "460 +dual" Even "460 +duel" since literary expertise isn't a prerequsite to posting on the innerweb. Rock on, 460 bruduh!:rockn: :rock:

And next time you post a question, start out with a statement like "I tried a search, but it doesn't work on my computer..." - works for some to keep the bashing down.

carvinmark said:
I am rebuilding an 066,can I get one for that from Stihl? .

The 066 magnum dual port front cover (all you need) is 1122 140 0800. This muffler front addition requires no mods, but retune you carb (enrichen slightly) to keep the max rpm down.

quoting

why does everyone use the quote so much, even quoting your own post?
i have the factory dual port muffler cover on my 066, i have never run one without so i can't tell you what it runs like without it but it does give the saw a nice growl

I quoted a statement from another thread - giving the original poster credit where it was due. An appropriate use of quoting. I do agree that some dudes use the "quote" button where the "reply" would work - such as the second post (first reply) in a thread. If a guy's attention span is so short he needs to re-read the original post 2 inches down the screen to keep up, I'm not exactly sure what retention will be come time to use the info in the replies. Also, quoting pics is pretty scroll-inducing. It's as bad as the "reply to all" in e-mails.

Watch out, here come the ubiquitous "if you don't like it, THEN LEAVE!!!! THIS AIN'T McD's - YOU CAN'T HAVE IT YOUR WAY ALL THE TIME!!! LOOOOOSSSEERRRR!!!!!!!!!!" replies. Hold on!

Last edited:
I noticed that these two slots (in the cover versus in the arrestor holder-inner) are not of same width. I planned to open both of these, as well as the original round hole and slot in the muffler base - I have small increases to make in 4 locations. I'm thinking that the aggregate increase in port area would provide more balance of exhause than just hogging one area of exit. Probably just worthelss efforts, but it'll make me feel better about massaging the muffler as opposed to just die-grinding the bejessus out of things.

I'd still like to get at least the first tank of fuel through it before I go much beyond the as-is dual-port. Kind of chickenschit that way, I suppose.

Thanks for the input.

Bob

bump_r said:
I'd still like to get at least the first tank of fuel through it before I go much beyond the as-is dual-port. Kind of chickenschit that way, I suppose.

Nothing wrong with that. I'd give it it's time to break in. No harm in waiting a bit. And wise to not go overboard on opening things up. Beyond a certain, practical point, all you're doing is making your saw louder without any power gain.

Jeff

Lakeside53 said:
The 066 magnum dual port front cover (all you need) is 1122 140 0800. This muffler front addition requires no mods, but retune you carb (enrichen slightly) to keep the max rpm down.
Thanks Lakeside for the #'s.

Freakingstang said:
I made documented pics with the information available and no one uses it? I'm not rashing on a newb, as this is the first time I've said it...Use the search function.

Take a look at this thread, and it should tell you everything you need to know

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=31168

Steve
f-stien, first off lets get one thing settled, I am a FORD freak from back in the seventies and always will be. I have drag raced since 1976. I am a newbie cause I just got my first computer(p.c.) in January. Please help me, my brother Ford freak, how do I get info from this site, I read your thread because you followed up on mine and I found it to be very informative.

This is from another post of mine, where the search function would have helped, if it was used correctly.

The search function can return a significant amount of useless garbage to your search if you simply punch in your topic and let it search all the posts in every forum. It will pick up stuff that is completely irrelevant. What I find works well, is to use the advanced search, select only the forum of interest, select titles only, and then have your topic. This way it only picks up the topics with your search phrase in the title, from the chainsaw forum, eliminating lots of junk and frustration.

It really does work, but figuring out how to use it correctly takes a little time. Most newbies don't spend the time to figure it out, and some of the memebers who've been here a while still don't know how to use it correctly either. The search function on here pulls in anything that is remotely related to your topic, hence the junk, so you have to use those steps to narrow it down and make it focus only on the results you want, not all the other useless junk.

Latest posts

Back