Dump find.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's worth 200-225 all cleaned up. If you get the piston and cylinder, you might as well do the bearings and seals. At that point it's probably better to get the $115 OEM complete engine on the Bay if they still have them.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

I would have carried it home for sure. Bailey's has a complete drop in 039 engine for them for around 125 doll hairs.

By the time the op buys a bar and chain. A new piston, clutch cover and whatever else it needs-- he'll be close to upside down on what that saw it worth. Nevermind his time. Easier and more profitable to throw it on CL as is for 50 or part it out on ebay.

I tried to sell a clean 029 super on CL for 3 months at 175. Ended up trading it for a snowmobile trailer that needed tires.

By the time the op buys a bar and chain. A new piston, clutch cover and whatever else it needs-- he'll be close to upside down on what that saw it worth. Nevermind his time. Easier and more profitable to throw it on CL as is for 50 or part it out on ebay.

I tried to sell a clean 029 super on CL for 3 months at 175. Ended up trading it for a snowmobile trailer that needed tires.

I've found a bar and piston for $50. The saw was free, but I'm aiming on keeping the saw and selling my 55 rancher. And my Poulan 3400 so any proceeds will go to the saw and any profits will be to boot. The saw is really good condition only one small chip on the clutch cover. As for the time, I'm 17, no girl friend, no car, no real responsibilities, so time is free for me. Working on saws is fun for me, so if I can't make money well I'll keep it.

My thinking on this isnt monetary its the satisfaction of fixing something that isnt usable. Ive gotten many saws that required more time and money put into them than they are worth to get running. Ive got them in my collection and have a good memory and story to go with them. :msp_smile:

I've found a bar and piston for $50. The saw was free, but I'm aiming on keeping the saw and selling my 55 rancher. And my Poulan 3400 so any proceeds will go to the saw and any profits will be to boot. The saw is really good condition only one small chip on the clutch cover. As for the time, I'm 17, no girl friend, no car, no real responsibilities, so time is free for me. Working on saws is fun for me, so if I can't make money well I'll keep it.

If you part it out, and sell piece by piece you will make more than $125.00. (Although I have fixed more them than I can count.). Sit down, make a list of each individual part, Top cover, air box cover, black handle, carb, crank, muffler and itemize. You'll be surprised what you could do...I'm game for the top cover myself. Let me know if you decide to part it. If you spend $115 on the engine and only get $225.00 then you know what your margin is. If you got it free and make money on almost all the parts (except the piston cylinder) -- then you "RACKED UP!"

Hang on there, slugger. I like an 029 as much as anyone, and better than most here. With that said, I don't think I'd sell a Husky 55 (even an open port one) to fund any 029 rebuilds. Even though I despise the oiler on the 55, it is a solid machine and quite equal to or better than the 029 in almost every regard other than said oiler (which works fine, but just aggravates me since it is always pumping.) Yes, I have several of both, and a ton of trigger time on each.

Also, selling of 3400's is just plain bad manners (plus you'll only get $50-$75 for it.) One day soon you'll stick your 029 in a cut, and wish you had your 3400 back too free it.

You are right to rescue the 029. You should have seen the one I put together that WorkSawCollector trash-picked several years ago. There was a thread on it back a ways - something about a pile of wildthingies in the title. Anyway, just get the parts one at a time. Do some reading before you plunk down any coin for a new piston from the aftermarket. Some of that stuff is very good, and some is not. Post up on your progress, and help will find you.

I just did another MS 290 for my Uncles farm last week the saw was free and with all the parts it was under $140

I just sold my really clean 029 on Craigslist for 225 with a 20" bar and several chains. I don't know what that saw would run like with the 039 kit, but if it were mine I'd probably do that. Otherwise consider parting it out on Ebay? Or just selling as is for parts. I doubt you can fix it and make very much, but if you just want another saw to run go with the 039 kit.

I've done 2 dozen of these things... DON'T get the cheap kit!

Got to bailey's and get their long block 390 kit for it and a new bar and chain! The only problem with the bailey's kit is that the grounding wire screw is a little too long and will bottom out and break if you aren't careful. Cut the screw down and install!!! it's really really easy. I'd also replace fuel and impulse lines while your at it. that will eliminate any air leaks that will blow up the new piston and cylinder.

Cheap parts are just that! CHEAP! You got a free saw so show it some love with a NWP 390 kit and fresh bar and chain. they are great saws. Just keep your air filter clean and use synthetic oil and it will last you forever!

CHeers,
Nate

Man, I remember those days fondly! :rock: fix it up for yourself and enjoy the satisfaction of turning trash into treasure.

PS EVERYBODY Is this kid kick ace or what! Most guys his age are parked on the couch with an IV solution of Mt Dew and Ritalin praying to be a twelveth level grand wizard on some stupid video game. He's out scrounging, sawing and turning wrenches. I hope my boy turns out like him. :rock::rock::rock:

Hellbent :rock:

I would really Keep the 55.They are twice the saw a ms290 is.You'll have a time getting the rear bar stud out to pull the lower clamshell.those themselves are $8.00 to $10.00 to replace.

The 55 Rancher is a Closed port "Pro" model
the 3400 Poulan is a "Pro" Model
the 290 is a Consumer "Clamshell"
Out of all of the Consumer clamshells stihl made the ms270 and ms280 were the better ones.Worked on way too many of the Smaller 025/250 based ones and the 029/290 based ones.

Latest posts

Back