Durn flywheel!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Doubrava

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Can't get the flywheel off an old PP(power products) chainsaw engine. I have tried hitting it with a hammer and prying on it, no cigar! Is there a puller I could get somewhere or what? Reason why I'm trying to remove it is because the points/condenser isn't working, I don't have any spark. I suspect they are pitted/burnt.

Thanks

Robert

Hopefully, someone who knows for certain will reply quickly but I seem to recall that those flywheels are threaded on.

If the coil is outside the flywheel you could just install an "ATOM" ignition module and leave the points/condensor where they are.

You see, I'm trying to get this working for someone else that doesn't want to spend a lot of money, and he wants it done the cheapest way possible. He said he will pay for the manual work, and for points/condenser if needed. That's what I was told to do, and that's what I'm doing!:) I probably won't be able to get to work on it again 'till Friday.

Robert

Is the flywheel threaded for a puller? There may be two or three holes in the face. I just made a puller out of a plate of 1/2" alumnium. No sweat.

RockyJfurryrat :) Are you talking about a three-jaw puller? I can't say I'd be all that comfortable using one any more. I shattered a flywheel using a jaw puller.

Robert, If you have an Auto Zone nearby you can borrow tools simply by paying a fully refundable deposit. I know the Auto Zone near me has a pretty good selection of pullers available.

Russ

Originally posted by John in MA
Is the flywheel threaded for a puller? There may be two or three holes in the face. I just made a puller out of a plate of 1/2" alumnium. No sweat.

RockyJfurryrat :) Are you talking about a three-jaw puller? I can't say I'd be all that comfortable using one any more. I shattered a flywheel using a jaw puller.

RockyJfurryrat, hehe, that's a good one. :D

Another problem with the three jaw puller is there is never any room to get the claws around the flywheel.

The flywheel has two holes in it. I don't think they are threaded as I have tried many bolts, both standard and metric, and I haven't got any to work. I guess I'll clamp the saw to the 'ol vise and try prying on it some more.

Robert

Take Johns advice, spend a 1/2 hour making a puller out of a piece of Al or steel and tap the two holes on your flywheel. Continued prying is going to F-up something you will have to explain later with no good reson.

Haev you tried unthreading that flywheel-counter running rotational direction. If you have unthreaded holes they may be intended for a nibbed spanner. (Dang, that sounds like the limey name for the goofy wrench I'm talking about but I can't think of a different term!)

Regarding this whole subject of threaded flywheels-if you can see that it is keyed then obviously it is not threaded.Or the key has to come out first.

Just did this on a PP pump engine I figure it will be the same for you. There are 3 ways to do it.

1. get a knock off tool or knocker etc. screw it 1/6" from flywheel hold flywheel firmly and rap the knocker.

2. if there is holes in the flywheel my manual says to use a puller that has self tapping screws. meaning the kind of bolts that have the notch at the end and probably a 7/16" head.

3. this what I did didnt have a knocker or any puller holes. so I heated center of flywheel close to crank with a propane torch for a few minutes then while prying up on flywheel I hit the crank stub with a brass hammmer. thread the nut on there so you dont harm the threads you still can with a brass hammer just not as much. It should work the key is to get the flywheel hot enough and it will pop right off. Tecumseh even recommends this so it wont hurt it.

That would work, but I don't have a propane set-up. Just a propane/oxygen cutting torch. I'll probably get one of those cheap little propane torches for like $15. This engine is similar to the one on the old Mono I have. When I pulled the flywheel off mine it came right off. I just ran mine yesterday to keep the carb from gumming up, and just for fun:D I love it when it runs full throttle!!!!!!!!!!! Whoops, I think I'm turning into a maniac.....................:p

Thanks

Robert

FINALLY got the flywheel off with some of the following:

1. Cussing
2. Prying
3. Hitting with a hammer and a block of wood

All three combined helped me get it off.:D Points were screwed up, had to replace 'em. I got all I needed for under $6, not much! (I know the owner of the engine shop, ha ha ha)Ready to tear engine apart and check out the innerds, possibly next weekend.

Thanks for the help/suggestions, guys.

Robert

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back