Dusty ash wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubba3228

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all -
Wondering if anyone has experienced their ash splits and rounds getting a fine dust on them. I do not know if it is from ash borer or maybe termites? I have brought some wood in from the wood pile, to the unheated enclosed front porch in 55gal plastic barrels I do not want to introduce problems into the house but want to burn the wood up. I only bring in what I can burn in a days time inside by the stove, cannot do pics at the moment it is a very fine wood dust...

Bub

I only know that the little bugs are dead when I chuck the wood in the stove . All the Ash trees in my area are going to the birds...from one disease or another . The rule around here is to cut em while they still are standing and look decent....because once they fall on there own...they aint worth a squat !

Have that dust sometimes in my piles, always seems to be near or on ash. Has not caused any problems, what ever is making the dust must die or go away while the wood is seasoning.

I had the same problem with some hickory I got last winter from a buddy of mine. A big ant looking bug that flies ate holes through all the hickory and didn't touch the ash, oak or orange Osage in the same pile. I figured it would help cure it out quicker, but now I'm getting all that little sawdust in my eyes when I get loads.

I had the same problem with some hickory I got last winter from a buddy of mine. A big ant looking bug that flies ate holes through all the hickory and didn't touch the ash, oak or orange Osage in the same pile. I figured it would help cure it out quicker, but now I'm getting all that little sawdust in my eyes when I get loads.

I hear you on the dust . Ive been seeing that stuff in some of the maples up here too . And as you said..that dust in the eyes.......Not cool !

I've got to agree with the powder post beetle if you've got the same thing I'm seeing. Are you seeing little pin to small nail size holes with the dust? Nasty little buggers. You don't want them in your house. They like dead and dry wood.

Latest posts

Back