dykes ring

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a blue homelite XL1 that came with a dykes ring.

dyke.jpg

I cannot speak to there longevity nor performance as I have not ran them side by side. I can say they are a bit different. I will try to post a picture of a Homelite 2100 dykes ring piston if there is anyone that is interested

Bill

Seeing the picture makes it make sense. I can see that there is more support for the bottom of the ring when the fuel charge fires and pushes down on the slug.It also seems that if it wears a bit, there is more wear on the ring land, as the ring loses a bit of its diameter, as opposed to a conventional ring, which still anchors inside the groove when it is worn, just with a bit less sealing pressure and a larger end gap. Seems there would also be a greater risk of carbon deposits interfering with the ring in the groove. I would definitely want to run Ultr syn. with a setup like that.

Cliff, is that ring upside down on the 090? I sure looks different from the other applications I've seen.

There is a bit of information in Gordon Jennings book related to the dykes type of rings.

Mark

the top of the dyke piston is much smaller than the bore. about .085 smaller.

only fits one way. homelite 2100 piston.

CIMG0990.jpg

ric :)

Cliff, is that ring upside down on the 090? I sure looks different from the other applications I've seen.

There is a bit of information in Gordon Jennings book related to the dykes type of rings.

Mark

I thought exactly the same thing at first but if you look at where the ring is resting against the stud (about 9-o-clock) you can clearly see the L shape.
The good old Maico 490 had a Dykes single ring and yes they are expensive!

the top of the dyke piston is much smaller than the bore. about .085 smaller.

only fits one way. homelite 2100 piston.

ric :)

That's too freakin' cool Ric. That's the best set-up in my opinion for the 2100.

Looks like the rings that were on a ?74? Yamaha DT 360 that I had years ago.

Yeah we had Hodaka dirt bikes and some of them had the Wiseco Dykes ring pistons, they were great runners. I remember the old man porting those cylinders back in the mid-70's and installing the new pistons, it was exciting.

Dykes rings have been around for quite some time in both two stroke and four stroke engines. Some comments concerning the applications are quite correct mainly involving two stroke carting and extreme four stroke racing and tractor pulling applications.

The Dykes ring that we attempted to use in a methanol burning engine at about 15/1 compression ratio didn't work as well as we thought it would. Initially the engine sealed quite nicely but at about half of the shows put on the motor the leak by was unacceptable. We also tried gas ported pistons that showed promise at first but also didn't have the longevity we needed for our application.

I know that in drag racing applications of nitro motors dykes rings are run due to the excellent sealing of the motor and the fact that those motors are reringed after each pass. In the alcohol super stock classes of tractor pulling, though I've never seen one of these motors apart, dykes rings for the most part are used. These rings are very hard on the ring lands of the piston due to the better sealing capability.

:cheers:

Back