dynamic chipper experience?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

priest

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The other day Thor's Hammer mentioned Dynamic Conehead chippers and I have been looking into them. I found a pretty low price on a new DC-50, John Deere 80 hp (one of their smaller, 12 inch models).

Anyone's experience with dynamic chippers (pros and cons) would be greatly appreciated.

I also found a Model 410 CAT 115 hp demo model with 9 hours on it for a good price (2k higher than the DC-50). It has the double cone setup versus the DC-50 with the the single cone/disc setup.

Last edited:
Go on give us some bugging...I want to know HOW/WHY your chippers are so good,compared to the rest that are on offer..

I will be able to give you some input on the DC50 soon. Mine is shipping out this week. Unfortunately, it will probably arrive in Hawaii while I am at the TCI show.

Whats a good price for a DC50. everything ive read says thats going to be my next machine, but i have no idea what they cost.

MSRP on the DC50 with 115 Perkins, autofeed delete ($845 credit), is $30,540. Standard engine is the 90hp Kubota....probably $500 less. Go to their website, they have some demo machines with full warranties...30-60 hours on the meter, $27-29K.

I've got a 400 series with an 80-hp deere engine. Gotta say that I love it! Takes a 10.5 inch log like you wouldn't believe.

I had used a Vermeer 1200 and a morebark in comperable sizes and found the conehead to be a whole lot more effective.

Only problem I've had with mine is that one of the hydraulic motors for the feed wheel sprung a leak. Warranty item so they sent me a new one, no questions.

About the only thing I don't like about it is that my particular machine had the discharge deflector damaged at the dealer's yard before I bought it. They fabricated a new one at their shop and installed it for me and gave me a decent discount for it but as time has progressed I find it is just a tad-bit too short so in order to fill my truck I spray some chips over the top of the box or get them all in but not full-full.

the other downside is the handle used to rotate the chute....great idea, but not so hot for minor angle settings.

I hear that the DC50 is a hot ticket as it chips well and really tosses the chips out quite a ways.

I was just thinking Thor.

If the drum is tapered toward the centre (smaller ib the centre) the surface cutting speed of the knives would be different to that of the outer.

How does this affect things, the middle knives would be going slower, and will it leave a "dead spot" in the centre that it cant chip?

Ekka,
If you will allow me to chime in here, I don't think the taper will make that much of a difference in cutting speed. The taper will allow an angled shearing type cut. My friend recently bought a new Bandit 250 and he said the blades on the disc are angled slightly compared to his old (1989) 250. This is to provide a shearing type of cut. I haven't seen it chip, but he said it chips up palm fronds much better than the old one did.

I wish I had the resources to design my own chipper. I feel confident I can make one that will be better than what is currently on the market.

Hi Ekka,

Not only is there no "dead spot" but there is more torque on the blades in the center of the drum. If you were to look at a paper cutting board (you know the kind with teh grid on the board and the long handled cutting knife..) That is essentially the effect you get with the cone head drum.

It seems that after the chip has been cut it naturally travels to the outer edges of the drum and gets caught up in the "blower" air stream and sent out the chute.

If you get a chance to look at a machine, you'll also notice that the discharge chute around the drum matches the inverted cone shape of the drum. This facilitates moving the chips to the faster outer edges of the chip & air stream and zips them out of the machine.

I've had mine 18 months now and am still loving it!

I have no doubt that it is a superior design. Many respectable folk in the industry stand by it.

They must have patented the idea or you'd see those Vermeer dudes copying wouldn't you?

You know, if I had the dough I'd buy one today ... it's the best of both worlds in the drum vs disk debate. :)

I ask questions not to aggrevate but learn and understand. Thanks for your responses and all makes sense.

Ekka,

It will do the palms but keep in mind that my full drum cone-head is so good at cutting up the palm trunks that it can overwhelm the chute and clog.

I've found that when it chips a palm "log" it cuts it into fibers almost like a pair of chainsaw protective chaps...the fibres seem to puff up in volume.

We've ended up slowing the feed rollers down to compensate for it.

Back