EAB The Three F's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find that stacking wood in flip-flops hinders my overall mobility and sense of well being. While only burning 3 cords do you also think that the uneven weighting of the earth mantel will generally invert mean temperatures in the lesser conifer based regions?

We expect the EAB to impact our area sometime in the near future. I'm not looking forward to it at all. Ash trees are my favorite to harvest. They're straight growing with minimum hassle limbs. For a guy just harvesting for his own heating needs working alone I can make good production with them so I will miss those trees when they're gone.

On the other hand I burn anything like willow and poplar and that junk tree aka 'Canadian maple' ...I forget what's it called. These new stoves are very junk wood friendly imo.

Also Ash is the only tree that has not rolled on me while limbing so it's been 1 less risk calculation/countermeasure we have to deal with. I really worry what will replace my live ash trees...bass wood and Mulberry I've been culling as an invasive species.

I suppose I should be grateful to the Lord for whatever I can cut and leave it at that.

Makes good baseball bats, too. Good for solid body guitar construction. I make guitars. PTL.

We have burned just under 2.5 cord so far. Only a few wheelbarrow loads of Ash. And it was free of the EAB. The EAB is supposedly in our area but we are not yet quarantined. Not sure how much less we have burned than last year.

It has been spotted in Rantoul & Gibson City, Il., which is actually considering cutting down all the ash trees. I'd say they are too late as Rantoul is 20 miles south of them.

Supposedly it has been seen in the outlying areas of Champaign, Il.

Are those white grubs good for Steal head? I just picked a can of those out of some ant infested cherry that I split yesterday. I wasn't thinking about ball bats either. MLB better step up to the plate here (no punn intended), and do something.

Kidding aside, EAB is here to stay! Aint no amount of money or government action gonna stop it. If you don't have them now, they're on the way.

Are those white grubs good for Steal head? I just picked a can of those out of some ant infested cherry that I split yesterday. I wasn't thinking about ball bats either. MLB better step up to the plate here (no punn intended), and do something.

Kidding aside, EAB is here to stay! Aint no amount of money or government action gonna stop it. If you don't have them now, they're on the way.

Yeah, man. Part of the natural cycle. Dying trees makes spore producer makes morel mushroom=bribe banker and equipment dealer and buy a new backhoe. Save thousands while grown men act like Jr. High. Thanks for groundin' the disscussion<Guido Salvage spell check, please.

Don't know, don't have steelheads here. All I do is stocked farmpond fishing, largemouth and bluegills. About like going to the seafood market. Whenever I split any and find those grubs is when I go fishing usually (next day or so). Eat some fillets that night, the rest go in the freezer.

Two 4th of July's ago, we did a nice meal, we had our beef, our chicken (cleaned that morning) and bass from the pond, fresh caught that morning and cleaned as well. That and all the fresh garden stuff with a nice watermelon for dessert. Stuffed city! It was a 100% "all our food" feast.

Catfish love em and there not bad cooked in pork and beans either.

Don't know, don't have steelheads here. All I do is stocked farmpond fishing, largemouth and bluegills. About like going to the seafood market. Whenever I split any and find those grubs is when I go fishing usually (next day or so). Eat some fillets that night, the rest go in the freezer.

Two 4th of July's ago, we did a nice meal, we had our beef, our chicken (cleaned that morning) and bass from the pond, fresh caught that morning and cleaned as well. That and all the fresh garden stuff with a nice watermelon for dessert. Stuffed city! It was a 100% "all our food" feast.

I've done that with vegetable soup. Then we pressure can.

Yeah, Zogger, got to love those 100% all your own meals. Just enjoyed some venison stew not too long ago that was all of my own stuff. It is tough in the winter here. Storage and preservation of summer/fall crops is essential. You just have to adapt and change your preferences and expectations. The best meals in the winter though happen when you round up all of your fall harvested and processed meat and veggies and make something traditonal out of them. Good, simple home-cooked and grown food.

Jss

Yeah, Zogger, got to love those 100% all your own meals. Just enjoyed some venison stew not too long ago that was all of my own stuff. It is tough in the winter here. Storage and preservation of summer/fall crops is essential. You just have to adapt and change your preferences and expectations. The best meals in the winter though happen when you round up all of your fall harvested and processed meat and veggies and make something traditonal out of them. Good, simple home-cooked and grown food.

Johnny's Selected Seeds in Vermont. Now they employee owned, but Rob Johnson is still on developing new cultivars. I think plant breeding is his true calling. We get all our seeds there, wait, Albion, Maine. Sorry. But done typing.

Well guys, I officially burned the last of 3-cord this morning.
WOW, what a change from last year when I had burned near 9-cord by mid-February.
This mild, mild winter has saved me near 6-cord so far... compared to last winter.
I'm now 100% sure I won't be needing to use any of my oak this year and it puts way ahead on my cutting.
How much do you guys think it's saved you compared to last year?

(Thread hijacked courtesy of the Alien)

Saved at least 2 cords so far, likely closer to 3. I've been out cutting standing dead elm myself to burn, because I ran out of the "junk" wood I burn in spring and fall. Less than 1/3 cord of oak has been used this year, and it's the 2nd week of Feb already. Blowcombed weather guessers are calling for an "arctic cold snap" the end of the week - 2 days that will get below zero at night, truly a legendary WI cold snap (NOT!).

I'm still cutting, because last year's butt deep snow put a dent in my reserves, but I'm proud to say I opened another stacking area this year, so that I can see stacks of wood out the windows on all sides but the road side now.

I also have yet to light the pilot light on the propain furnace this year. It's only necessary those days when highs are 0 or below, and we haven't had any of them yet this winter.

Latest posts

Back