EAB?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris-PA

Where the Wild Things Are
Reaction score
EAB Woodpecker-1200.jpg

Our ash trees have been dying for years from ash yellows, a fungal wasting disease, but I had not seen the Emerald Ash Borer. This winter the woodpeckers have started stripping ash trees like this, which I had never seen before I'm assuming they're loaded with EAB larva - is this typical in infested areas?

Yes Chris. Look for the small D shaped holes in the bark. Get em while you can. Lack of small twigs in the canopy says they are dead.
Ash Yellows kills the canopy too, it just takes a lot longer than EAB. I had noticed though that the sick trees have been deteriorating quite quickly of late, so I'm betting EAB finally got here. I hadn't been able to keep up with the dead ashes before, now it's nuts.

So depressing, I love those trees.

View attachment 889736

Our ash trees have been dying for years from ash yellows, a fungal wasting disease, but I had not seen the Emerald Ash Borer. This winter the woodpeckers have started stripping ash trees like this, which I had never seen before I'm assuming they're loaded with EAB larva - is this typical in infested areas?
I can see the holes all the way to Indiana. That tree is dead man walking

I can see the holes all the way to Indiana. That tree is dead man walking
Oh it's toast all right. You can see the edge of the lane in the picture, and the power lines are right on the other side of the lane behind me. They cut down a ton of dead/dying ash this fall (first time they trimmed in 12 years), but only about 60% of what's ready to fall on the lines. They didn't bother with this one even though I pointed it out to them.

I'll just wait until it fall on the lines - I'll get the wood eventually anyway.

View attachment 889736

where are you located? I lived in Canton Michigan 20 years ago and that is where the emerald ash borer started. I think it came in on pallets at a place called American yazaki. We had a Democrat Governor who is now part of the Biden Administration her name is Jennifer granholm. Local arborists at the time wanted the area clear cut of all trees he said that was too dramatic and that she needed to have Michigan State University do a study. Had at that time she just not been a stupid Canadian cont governor and cut the trees down in the entire area it would have stopped right there in Michigan.

where are you located? I lived in Canton Michigan 20 years ago and that is where the emerald ash borer started. I think it came in on pallets at a place called American yazaki. We had a Democrat Governor who is now part of the Biden Administration her name is Jennifer granholm. Local arborists at the time wanted the area clear cut of all trees he said that was too dramatic and that she needed to have Michigan State University do a study. Had at that time she just not been a stupid Canadian cont governor and cut the trees down in the entire area it would have stopped right there in Michigan.
We're near Allentown in eastern PA - pretty much the center of the stink bug and spotted lantern fly infestations.

shes a woman,,,,knows everyhting,,just ask.....

Oh it's toast all right. You can see the edge of the lane in the picture, and the power lines are right on the other side of the lane behind me. They cut down a ton of dead/dying ash this fall (first time they trimmed in 12 years), but only about 60% of what's ready to fall on the lines. They didn't bother with this one even though I pointed it out to them.

I'll just wait until it fall on the lines - I'll get the wood eventually anyway.

Get it before the bark falls off. They go punky on the inside in only a year or two.

Get it before the bark falls off. They go punky on the inside in only a year or two.
Boy, I'm near to the epicenter of the EAB outbreak and I have a few dead standing for 15 years that are still solid. The bottom 6 feet might be a little punky, even to the point that they rot and break off at the roots, but still awesome firewood. Burned will over a cord of it this year. Have even cut some that has been on the ground for a couple years that goes right to the stacks.

Good to hear someone else’s experience. I find the punky ones look like some secondary insect larva is eating the insides. But I have seen others that are hard like ivory all the way through. My family in WV sold off most of their ash to the mills when EAB came through. Once the bark was gone, the mills wouldn’t take them.

Out here we’re about 8 years into EAB. Several I have cut down recently were scary to climb. I ripped most of the smaller limbs off by hand. 3” Ash limbs snapping off like it was willow. Just be careful and don’t assume anything I guess.

Out here we’re about 8 years into EAB. Several I have cut down recently were scary to climb. I ripped most of the smaller limbs off by hand. 3” Ash limbs snapping off like it was willow. Just be careful and don’t assume anything I guess.
Oh, for sure! The ones I have left are just poles - no branches left at all. No way I would climb them. Everything I have left may even be leaners caught up in another tree.

The OP pic looks like it is next to a driveway. If it can't reach anything when it falls it can be left until needed or time allows dealing with it. I wouldn't park under it though.

Hey Chris - Pretty sure I am close by you on South Mountain. FWIW My ash are mostly gone as well -still working some standing dead. The one I took down last month had all of the tunnels under the bark.
Very sad but decent in the stove while they last.

Boy, I'm near to the epicenter of the EAB outbreak and I have a few dead standing for 15 years that are still solid. The bottom 6 feet might be a little punky, even to the point that they rot and break off at the roots, but still awesome firewood. Burned will over a cord of it this year. Have even cut some that has been on the ground for a couple years that goes right to the stacks.
Yeah, that's been my experience with the ones killed by ash yellows too. Sometimes the whole thing is punky, but often only the bottom. I've seen them with a punky section that runs up a long way though, which can screw up your hinge and make it fall unpredictably - had one like that just a couple of weekends ago, where one side of my hinge was rot, causing it to pull towards the strong wood. I've been cutting these dead ashes for so many years, often just stick with no crown which makes it hard to get them to move. They're all dangerous drops and I don't trust any of them.

Are my eyes playing tricks on me, or is there a face on the side of your tree???
It's an ent! My wife got them years ago and they glow in the dark a bit too. Our kids thought the face was cool, and now the neighbor's grandkids always look for it - I'm going to have to put it up on another tree near the lane.

Hey Chris - Pretty sure I am close by you on South Mountain. FWIW My ash are mostly gone as well -still working some standing dead. The one I took down last month had all of the tunnels under the bark.
Very sad but decent in the stove while they last.
It's amazing now to look through the woods and see them stripped by the woodpeckers.

I think we are about 15 years into the EAB passing through MI. Almost every one of the younger trees, say 2" or less, that were left alone but died started sprouting new growth a few years after the EAB was gone.
How do they seem to be doing? I'd have to figure the EAB is still around, but is it possible their population has stabilized to something where the ash trees could survive?

How do they seem to be doing? I'd have to figure the EAB is still around, but is it possible their population has stabilized to something where the ash trees could survive?
Chris I'm over in York co. It seems the smaller ash trees haven't had much if any damage that I can see. Anything 6" or less looks healthy. Stihl cutting way more dead though.

Back