• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy early 046 cylinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can i ask why the older 046 D type cylinder is preferred over the more current 460 design? Thanks, hope you find something soon. Cheers!Q

The combustion chamber isn't smaller necessarily, it has the "D" shape which people think is conducive to making more power. The timing numbers are different also.

Stihl actually rated the MS-460 cylinder as making more power than the early 046 cylinder in a technical bulletin when the transition was made.

I have an 044 on the way that's going to get the good p/c on my current 044 has put on.

Somebody has the 046 jug I'm looking for?

The combustion chamber isn't smaller necessarily, it has the "D" shape which people think is conducive to making more power. The timing numbers are different also.

Stihl actually rated the MS-460 cylinder as making more power than the early 046 cylinder in a technical bulletin when the transition was made.

Does anyone have pics of examples of each type so we can all learn together? Thanks-

These aren't both from an 044; the first one is from an MS360 Pro & the second one is from an early 044, buy it should be sufficient to show the difference being discussed as I understand it. Sorry, the 044 cylinder isn't as clean as the 360...

View attachment 348847
View attachment 348849

Cool- Thank you for the clairity. I was trying to envision the concept, definitely not what I was thinking. Kinda counter intuitive to everything I have ever seen in two stroke racing cylinder designs. I was thinking it referred to a more "D" shaped higher arching pent roof of the top of the head (vertically speaking) as a posed to a shallow roof/top. But I get it now- :)

I'm still looking for this early cylinder, but I have another 046 to build so I need any good used cylinder.

Back