• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Early 10mm 044 with KS cylinder.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon1270

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This is an early 10mm wrist pin 044 with a KS cylinder. The story is that it originally belonged to a small tree service north of Pittsburgh, the proprietor of which died young in 1997 before it got much use. The saw was inherited by his best friend, who used it to run a part-time firewood business with his dad for three years, at which point his dad died and the firewood business ceased. For most of the time since then this saw sat on a shelf in the garage, until he finally decided it was silly to hang onto it, and put it up on CL. I got there first.

I have not touched the motor; the cylinder is still firmly screwed onto the crankcase as I found it. Everything else came off for a thorough cleaning and inspection. During reassembly I performed pressure and vacuum tests, and torqued the fasteners to spec. Along the way I replaced the felling dog, chain catcher, fuel line, gas cap, clutch springs, kill switch wiring, starter rope, carb grommet and the little rubber boot that seals between the coil and plug wire. I also rebuilt the carb with a new ZAMA kit; I didn't tamper with the welch plug, but did replace gaskets, diaphragms, filter screen and metering valve. The felling dog was used and the rope is Stens, but all of the other parts were new OEM.

There was a small crack in the webbing on the bottom left side of the rear handle. I reinforced it from the back with two layers of fiberglass laid up with West System epoxy leftover from an acquaintance's experimental airplane build. I suspect it's now stronger than new, but the epoxy looks like a coffee stain on the bottom of the handle.

The readings from my El Cheapo compression gauge have seemed a tad optimistic lately. Not wanting to misrepresent the saws I've been planning to sell, I sprang for a new high-quality gauge which is showing a little over 165. That seems about right to me.

The price I've arrived at is $500, with the buyer paying shipping and PayPal fees where applicable. That can be PHO or it can include a used-but-usable 20" bar and a chain or two, depending on whether the buyer feels like paying for the extra shipping. I will clean off most of the sawdust and bar oil remaining from the weekend's test run, drain the fuel and oil, and run the carb dry for safe shipping.

I'm not very active here, but I can point out prominent members who will (I think!) give me a solid character reference.

P1020872.JPG P1020873.JPG P1020875.JPG P1020876.JPG P1020877.JPG P1020878.JPG P1020879.JPG

its listed on f.h.c. too so it's getting plenty of exposure. the race is on to see who scores it.

Latest posts

Back