Early Bike Saws????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airecon

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been reading here that bike saws started being built back in the 70's. Anybody still got any of these saws? How about more info on the type of engines and maybe pics. Im fairly familiar with dirt bikes from the 70's, would like to see some of the old engines.

I have seen a few of them. The 70's saws were mostly cart motors like Mac's, Westbends, B-bombs, etc. and quite a few weird concoctions, but I have seen a couple of finned bikesaws from the old days. I think Harry Bodecker started building his bikesaws in the late 70's or early 80's, I have seen a few of his bikes.

Dennis has a bunch of old pics in this thread, if you hunt around a bit.http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=38552&page=6&highlight=rooster+tails

Last edited:
LOL, I tried to google images by entering "old bikesaw"

All I got was River rat, Blsnelling, Adkranger, Andyshine, Husky hustler, and my avatar.

Dennis Cahoon should probably be able to put some pictures up. He has got some great stuff from back in the day.

Yikes Andy, 666 posts. I'm not superstitious, but if I were you I would make another post just in case.

The story goes that Sven Johnson bought a 250 Can Am, took the engine out of it, and made one of the first ones. I can remember those bikes racing moto-cross in the mid 70's. No pics of the saw, here's a bike:

http://www.jwoodandcompany.com/2002/daytona2002/preconsignments/canam250mx.jpg

Yes Sven Johnson was amazing ,had a fast saw but he was just as fast and strong himself and he was no spring chicken.His son Ron did alot of racing too. Sven's 250 Can Am [Canadian American] was actually a Bombardier Rotax engine .Good design for the 1970s, it had a rotary disc valve intake and full circle crank.36 hp factory of course Sven had it modified to put out alot more. I think Sven won the Hayward World Championship 10 yrs in a row. I remember reading the old Chainsaw Age magazines and there would always be something written about him. 20" white pine cold start 3 cuts 8 seconds.

Last edited:
I have the old Can-Am bike saw. A lot of thought went into it. It is indeed a bombardeer which I think is about 340 cc now. I am getting out of racing now so if someone else is ready to take it up or put this on display, let me know. Mike

Yikes Andy, 666 posts. I'm not superstitious, but if I were you I would make another post just in case.

I was planning a new private reg plate for the car and the only one i can get with 6 UNN to look like GUNN is T666 UNN im still tempted and not in any way superstitious.

Latest posts

Back