Early Jonsered 670 Manifold Boot Wire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shennon

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all! I have the manifold boot wire clip coming in in the next week or so, but since I don't have a shop manual on the early style Jred 670, just the IPL, how do I install it properly? Twist tie it or is it good as is? Just slip on and go? Barring that, is there a better way than the wire clip or alternative in case I screw it up? Thanks!

Hello all! I have the manifold boot wire clip coming in in the next week or so, but since I don't have a shop manual on the early style Jred 670, just the IPL, how do I install it properly? Twist tie it or is it good as is? Just slip on and go? Barring that, is there a better way than the wire clip or alternative in case I screw it up? Thanks!

Fit the wire clip and screw it up- is exactly the scenario you want.
We are talking intake manifold to cylinder flexible joint are we not? Held in place by a metal band, with fitted machine screw for adjustment to loosen for removal and tighten to hold in place to give an air tight seal?
The clamping effect of the tight band compressing the manifold onto the cylinder inlet is sufficient to keep the band in place- no need for additional twists of safety wire.

I wish it was that easy. I have the earlier 670 with the wire clamp as shown in the pic. Thanks for the reply though!

Attachments

• 670-wire.jpg
    670-wire.jpg
    769 KB · Views: 0
Did a bit of research- and it appears it was not just a direct swap band for wire- seems the intake boot is different and the cylinder casting also, to give a longer protrusion for the clamp to bind on.
So, looks like you might be stuck with the twist over wire system- I will admit I have not seen one for probably 30 odd years over here, surprised you managed to find one for sale.
But the wire tails just twist over one another to hold the manifold boot in place.

I shall twist then! Wanted to make sure as I paid out of both nostrils for the clip and the saw does seem to be in great shape! The saw was given to me with 3 other Jonsereds, 2 broken 455 (mixed & matched parts to get one going) and a 2150 from a neighbour, all with issues from sitting around for years. He's getting older, lives in the city now and decided a MS170 will do what he wants!

Thanks again!

The 670 is the pick of the bunch- don't skite too much about the 455's, they are about the worst of the Jonsered offerings in my opinion- not far behind the smaller 20## Partner based clamshell saws.
The 2150 is worth a look, kind of the Jonsered answer to the Husqvarna 350- they are plastic cased clamshell versions of the Husqvarna 353 or Jonsered 2152 with a slightly different piston, so detuned a little.

The wire is very stiff. I believe it will have already been installed so the bends are correct. I’d do a dry run first with pliers to see which direction of twist they had planned before trying to actually secure the boot to the cylinder
It was listed as new (pic from the sale page) and was the only listing I found at that time. If it is new, it shouldn't matter which way I twist, or am I wrong on that assumption?

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 0
It was listed as new (pic from the sale page) and was the only listing I found at that time. If it is new, it shouldn't matter which way I twist, or am I wrong on that assumption?
You’d be correct. I’ve never seen a new one, but I know the wire is really stiff and wasn’t certain if they came pre-twisted or not. I would guess mine has maybe 1 to 1.5 complete turns

You’d be correct. I’ve never seen a new one, but I know the wire is really stiff and wasn’t certain if they came pre-twisted or not. I would guess mine has maybe 1 to 1.5 complete turns

I never even seen that twist wire style before. Dont see many jreds here.
So the newer style wont work on his?

j670in.jpg

Back