earth owb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are these the people you are talking about? http://www.earthwoodfurnace.com/

We got a brochure from a dealer at a trade show this past fall. We are in the market for a OWB right now and their's does sound interesting with a 1/2" firebox.

I would love to hear from any owners if there are any on here.

my cousin installed one last fall. i realize it's a little premature to cast judgement, but he absolutely loves his. From what i have seen of it it is really well built and it seems like it is built out of good thick steel. i drive past his house every day on the way home from work and i have seen snow sitting on top of it, so it must be well insulated.
i havent got him on this site yet, i might have to get on that.....

I have been looking all around and I think I have decided on this brand as well. As soon as I get it, I am sure I will be tinkering with it. I would LOVE to have feed back on design flaws and issues. I hope someone else has one!
I really only care about the steel and insulation. They all say they are the best...but this one is $2500-$3000 cheaper. I just hope its got decent welds;)

We just stopped at a dealer for Central Boiler and got a quote to have one installed, a little over $16,000. Way too pricey for us. We are going to try and make it down to the Earth Wood dealer sometime soon to get a quote for one. Going by their site the one we would need is just under $5,000. I don't think earth wood does installations though.

I was using central boilers comparable model to get 2500- 3000 difference. Both were approx 2000lbs. Woulsd be great to get pictures!!

Do they have a round firebox? It kind of seems that way from their descriptions. I don't know if I would like a round firebox, it seems like it would be difficult to clean the ash out unless you had a shovel that matched the box contour.

They will use a lot of wood so it would be a good idea to start splitting asap.

I would go with proper insulated pex rather than what they have to offer.

Well ,I pulled the trigger on it today. They had a 1 yr old refurbished unit for $4500...couldnt help myself. I will report back...

Congats! Looks like a pretty good unit. Very similar looking to the natures comfort which is a improved version of the shaver. Keep us posted to how you like it!

Yeah Comes with a full warranty...They last for 30+ years so I am not worried this one is a year old. I have my pipe in the ground and poured my pad last night!
Oh Yeah, I went with the Mountain Man 505. 315 gallons + a domestic coil...

Ok, so i am a little late to the party according to post dates, but I just bought and installed a new Earth boiler. Ordered a Mt. Man 505. Spent a little extra and got the extra insulation and had the water jacket increased from 1/8 to 1/4. Company said that it was the first one that they had ever done this way. Only cost 250.00 more. To me it was 250.00 well spent. Firebox is round and is made out of 1/2 mild steel but seems very heavy and durable. The controls are on the back of the furnace and there is a door covering them. It is a very neat setup and everything is very easy to get to. I also knew that the load door was not insulated before I ordered it so that was the first item of business. I pulled the 1/4 fire plate on the door and moved it about 3 inches in and then insulated it with ceramic fiber insulation. Ceramic Fiber supposed to with stand up to 2600 degrees. Once installed this really held the heat in. Under full fire I can hold my hand on the door indefinately. I am heating a new build of about 3000 sq. plus 1200 basement at 72 degrees and this thing will throw the heat. So far as of the price paid and the product received I am very happy with this unit. I will continue to update as the winter comes on and can get a true feeling of wood usage and durabilty. These things have alot of steel in them and you can't argue with that.

If it ever got to that temperature it would melt...

Not sure what the max temperature could be.

Pics please

Yep I gotta say I am REALLY happy with the boiler too. When it showed up the domestic coil was snapped off at the bottom of the tank. Called them up and they set me up no problem. I also ordered a new fan just in case. It was only $35! I didnt see the need to up the thickness on the water jacket cause its got a 30 year warranty on leaks. Damn, I hope im not still shoving wood in that thing when Im 70:msp_scared:
Bottom line is I am very pleased all around. I would love to see some pictures of your door mod though. I may do that!

Their web site says 25 years.

Who provides the financial backing for the warranty?

Boy, quite the stickler huh..
I had thought it was 30 yrs. Are you getting at the fact that they could be out of business?

Some call me cynical, I think I am realistic.

I have not heard of them, I assume they are a small operation, nothing to suggest otherwise.

They seem to have some other lines but this appears to be the main one.

Not sure if it is reasonable to expect any OWB to last that long.

I can think of at least 2 OWB Manufacturers that are no longer around, one reincarnated under a new name but did not honour its predecesors commitments.

If there was a problem with leaks I think it is reasonable to assume they are unlikely to be one off's. So a major cost. And more difficult to be funded.

Difficult to see that OWB's will still be around that many years in the future.

Logically they should put a percentage of their income into a trust fund to pay for future warranty commitments. Never seen one do so.

They do have the warranty wording on their web site, but it is not that difficult to word it to it is effectively meaningless in the longer term.

Latest posts

Back