Easier starting this year

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
Last year was my first full season on wood heat and one thing I've noticed this year is that starting a fire is a LOT easier than last year. Could be that the wood is year older now. I ran through a lot of kindling last year. Practically had to build a fire with kindling and then add firewood after it was blazing. This year all it takes is 4 or 5 sticks of kindling and a wax/sawdust fire starter. Got a hot roaring fire going in no time. Last year getting the stove up to 600 was a bit of pain. This year, no problem. Gonna be a better season, I can tell already. I think last year's wood was up about 6 months. This year, 18 months.

Ian

Seasoned wood sure is easier to burn. Time to season it varies, sometimes by a lot. I see a lot of people that wait two full years to burn oak, while I have six month oak that measure 16% moisture content in the center. Mine is 16", small split, seasoned with a whole lot of sun..:)

Back