Eastern states...You okay???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think NY was the same way... mentioned in another thread on here as well.... If they will refuse non-union workers coming to help, I wouldn't give them a dime for help that is just total BS. Not getting on a pro/anti union rant, just that in times of need it shouldn't matter.

dw

Yup; that is like pouring salt into a wound. Our Oklahoma crews along with Arkansaw went up there to help. They may not want us either.

And they'll all be voting for Obama on Tuesday! Was that my outside voice?:D

Yeah; they don't listen to what he says either. In one speech he told the nation they need to lean forward.(whatever that means). But common sense tells us leaning forward causes one to lose balance, and if you lean too far you'll fall flat on your face. Is that what we want?

Think NY was the same way... mentioned in another thread on here as well.... If they will refuse non-union workers coming to help, I wouldn't give them a dime for help that is just total BS. Not getting on a pro/anti union rant, just that in times of need it shouldn't matter.

dw

I agree, help is help in a time of need. I hadn't heard of that they had been turned away from NY too. They should think of the victims needs in a time like this, not whether the help belongs to a union or not.

excellent point,

I've looked and have not found a video of any of these "turned away" confrontations. With ten buhzillion cellphone vids up on youtube, one would think one of these turned away workers/crews would have some video evidence o these occurences.

Not saying there isn't one out there, just haven't seen it.

Here is the snopes take on this...anyone may read the whole page there for clarification and perhaps to help counter this neocon dittoheaqd talking points anti worker what is apparently an urban legend going around.

snopes.com: Non-Union Help in New Jersey Rejected

I have one thought on this union versus non union stuff, having been on both sides of the issue, and fully admitting there is a lot to fix with the US work/employment situation.

The USA has a very clear and researchable history on what it was like before unionization. We HAD a total non union workorce. Go back to history class and read what it was like and why unions came about in the first place. Now project into the future as we return to those days.

"Be careful what you wish for" as one saying goes. Fix what is busted, and there certainly is a LOT to be fixed there, all around, but as the old adage goes, throwing the baby out with the bathwater is not a smooth move.

Howdy;

reporting from merry-land :msp_biggrin:

I want to say that I hope all the NY and NJ folks are hangin in there, my prays are with yall.

My area lost power Monday afternoon and I just got it back Friday afternoon! I will not complain, I have a generator and 45 gallons of gas so I was able to watch TV and see the chaos to my north.

I just want to thank GOD that my giant tulip poplar survived, and my very large black oak survived, and nobody got hurt, so I am very lucky.

I prepared by having the Stihl gassed up and bought extra groceries the Friday before last weekend, even then the aisle with water was totally bare. No action yet for the saw, but I just got out of the house today.

Amercians are not preparing enough or taking these things seriously. People need to stop expecting some other person to come in and save them.

Amercians are not preparing enough or taking these things seriously. People need to stop expecting some other person to come in and save them.

That is precisely why our gas stations are a mob scene and there are no groceries in the store. I've been complaining about this all week while I had plenty of time while our power was out to sit back and think about WHY these things happen and WHAT can be done to mitigate this in the future. I know most people here in NJ did not take this storm seriously. (I am not part of this ignorance) After the last 2 years of storms, alotta people weren't affected and took on a boy-who-cried-wolf outlook this time when the governor was trying to prep people for the storm. "Eh, we didn't get hit the last 2 times. They're just blowing it out of proportion, like usual." I had heard that SO MANY times during the weekend before the storm.......trying to tell people this isn't a joke. It didn't work. That's why I had to support the entire neighborhood all week long.

Another failure of preparation........America's populace today is so far removed from self-preservation, that when a disaster like this happens, everyone is screwed. What do I mean by that? No one has the skill set any more for self-sustainment. Myself and one other neighbor are the only guys in the neighborhood that are 'tradesmen' and could sustain ourselves without a problem while 'the man' repairs utilities. And we were over-run by neighbors asking us to run wiring for their generators, or sweat pipes onto their new water heater after the other one exploded, or supply firewood to keep other people's children warm, or supply them fuel from my stock pile that I drove 40 minutes west to buy......since no one else has the brain or dedication to get out of the 3-hour line at the pumps and do something smart and proactive.

As you can tell, I'm very perturbed by the FK show that happened here. And as much as I improve MY family's preparations in the future, I'll still be a target for the people in the rest of the neighborhood that are completely useless and rely on SOMEONE else to do things FOR them.

Sorry for the soapbox.:angrysoapbox:

And they'll all be voting for Obama on Tuesday! Was that my outside voice?:D

I already did vote for him.

By the way, I am prepared and don't need much gas. I ride a bicycle when we are cut off, I don't rely on a generator--I don't have a lot of food in a freezer so can do without. I still voted for Obama and am glad I did. There!!

Like my neighbors in Beautiful British Columbia, my community does have to deal with being cut off, sometimes with and sometimes without power. No generator for me, because of the gas storage/supply thing. I've got canned stuff and flour and the usual staples. A wood stove keeps the house warm, the hot tub has water for flushing, I have stored drinking water, and since our power goes out during storms, I could collect a lot of rainwater, or pack it in from the creek. Our community works together during storm events and believe me, we've had practice.

Hope you folks in the east can keep sane for a while.

There's also a lot of mis-information, like the union rumor out there. I listened to a radio segment about some folks who were sending out false Tweets about things.

Last edited:
A few pics I took around our house here in New Hampshire. Tuesday night was actually much worse than Monday, even though the storm was weakening. We were lucky, we never lost power even though the people next door did, as well many others in the hood.

2012-10-3109_46_51.jpg

2012-10-3109_43_23.jpg

2012-10-3109_41_58.jpg

2012-10-3109_41_14.jpg

Last edited:
Three houses away, top broke out of a pine and went through my neighbor's roof. One pic of her kitchen floor......

2012-10-3023_16_10.jpg

2012-10-3109_26_11.jpg

Self explanitory.... thankfully the car was parked in the driveway.

2012-10-3112_51_25.jpg

2012-10-3112_52_08.jpg

That is precisely why our gas stations are a mob scene and there are no groceries in the store. I've been complaining about this all week while I had plenty of time while our power was out to sit back and think about WHY these things happen and WHAT can be done to mitigate this in the future. I know most people here in NJ did not take this storm seriously. (I am not part of this ignorance) After the last 2 years of storms, alotta people weren't affected and took on a boy-who-cried-wolf outlook this time when the governor was trying to prep people for the storm. "Eh, we didn't get hit the last 2 times. They're just blowing it out of proportion, like usual." I had heard that SO MANY times during the weekend before the storm.......trying to tell people this isn't a joke. It didn't work. That's why I had to support the entire neighborhood all week long.

Another failure of preparation........America's populace today is so far removed from self-preservation, that when a disaster like this happens, everyone is screwed. What do I mean by that? No one has the skill set any more for self-sustainment. Myself and one other neighbor are the only guys in the neighborhood that are 'tradesmen' and could sustain ourselves without a problem while 'the man' repairs utilities. And we were over-run by neighbors asking us to run wiring for their generators, or sweat pipes onto their new water heater after the other one exploded, or supply firewood to keep other people's children warm, or supply them fuel from my stock pile that I drove 40 minutes west to buy......since no one else has the brain or dedication to get out of the 3-hour line at the pumps and do something smart and proactive.

As you can tell, I'm very perturbed by the FK show that happened here. And as much as I improve MY family's preparations in the future, I'll still be a target for the people in the rest of the neighborhood that are completely useless and rely on SOMEONE else to do things FOR them.

I really like your style!!

However, you still helping them isn't advancing their situation, sometimes you need to let people fall flat on their face before they realize they need to pick themselves up and frigging do something to help themselves. I'm a very helpful person, but I have no problem letting someone fall on their face and say I told ya so, I consider that to be more of a favor to them in the long run, then helping them before they fall.

I really like your style!!

However, you still helping them isn't advancing their situation, sometimes you need to let people fall flat on their face before they realize they need to pick themselves up and frigging do something to help themselves. I'm a very helpful person, but I have no problem letting someone fall on their face and say I told ya so, I consider that to be more of a favor to them in the long run, then helping them before they fall.

Thanks bud. Yeah I agree with that. I learned this time around. Next time will be very different!

Good, to hear! We need more people like you around that's for sure. Maybe the people in your neighborhood have learned a lesson this time though, we'll see right.

Haha thx though my wife may disagree LOL

When this is all over you should make up a list of the bare essentials your neighbors should have on hand. Take copies around door to door and deliver in person.
Tell them instead of running to the mall next Sat. and blowing a couple of hundred dollars on crap, they should take the list to the local hardware and start preparing for the next calamity. Make it clear that this list is approaching the limits of your generosity and they don't want to find where it ends during the next disaster.
My relatives and friends all laugh and say they don't need to prepare, because I am their plan and they will just show up at my place. Then I explain to them
that when I have all the resources things will get done my way. And I will rule with an Iron Fist. This tends to wipe that #%&&&* smirk off their face.

When this is all over you should make up a list of the bare essentials your neighbors should have on hand. Take copies around door to door and deliver in person.
Tell them instead of running to the mall next Sat. and blowing a couple of hundred dollars on crap, they should take the list to the local hardware and start preparing for the next calamity. Make it clear that this list is approaching the limits of your generosity and they don't want to find where it ends during the next disaster.
My relatives and friends all laugh and say they don't need to prepare, because I am their plan and they will just show up at my place. Then I explain to them
that when I have all the resources things will get done my way. And I will rule with an Iron Fist. This tends to wipe that #%&&&* smirk off their face.

My one good neighbor and I were thinking something just like what you're talking about. Some way to clear some of the load off us, while sharing prepper knowledge with everyone else. He lost his house to a 100-year-old white oak, so we're dealing with that right now. But when this all blows over, we'll sit down over some beers and figure it out for sustainment.

Latest posts

Back