Eastonmade Wood Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A guy I know bought a splitter for his skid steer to split big rounds so they could more easily and quicker split on a timberwolf tw6. The thing is a beast and it came with a 4 way wedge. The 4 way became a 3 way when trying to split a round across the grain. He knew he f'ed up and did not go back to the manufacturer saying their product was defective. He sucked it up. Seems somebody here should have done the same thing.....Just saying [emoji848].

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

Going back to my comments from page 2, the Eastonmade splitters seem just as well built as Timberwolf, at lower pricepoints with more equipment as standard options.

If I ran a commercial outfit, I'd seriously look at these splitters. I think a 9-16 or a 12-22 and a Supersplit for smaller stuff would kick butt. The responses he gave for the "issues" with that moron shows me he cares about the customer and trying to right any "wrongs". Even those that aren't his fault. Good luck Andrew. If you ever feel like sending a splitter my way for testing purposes Id be happy to oblige :)

View attachment 691992 Stover® lock nuts are one-piece hex nuts which derive their prevailing torque characteristics from controlled distortion of their top threads from their normal helical form to a more elliptical shape. Frequently used in farm machinery, plus in the automotive and metalworking industries, they can withstand severe vibration and shock loads.

How one of those loosens to the point it is missing? I have never heard that term but they are used in a few places on my equipment notably a flail mower and they are single use items, ie if removed use a new one.

You stated bolts not tightened did not you? Look at the picture in post #87 sure looks like the bolts are not of sufficient length.
The proper engagement of a bolt into a nut is only 1 full thread above the nut. Anything more is not necessarily better.

What doesn't make sense about the insurance? Insurance company will not cover any damage, theft or theft by deception, all insurance companies operate that way. I am not a big company, I have a few trailer and other pieces of equipment and can not afford any losses or damage or theft.
I'm going to make an assumption.

Despite not being able to get rental insurance you still rented the splitter which resulted in the damage and now have no fall back on recouping the cost of damage though insurance. Maybe you also use use it to process wood to sell split wood (commercially) and now you're all pissy because you cant continue to rent it or operate it without putting work into it from the abuse.

Well, it's just an assumption but in the end it doesnt really matter. What everyone is going to take away from this thread is there was excessive abuse to the splitter, the manufacturer attempted to reasonably accommodate you, AND CONTINUES TO OFFER REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS but you refuse them and expect above and beyond reasonable compensation.

The damage I have see doesnt entitle you to a larger machine and a new conveyer. You are just being a ****** person. Operate the machine within the reasonable limits and it will last. As you can tell, I've made up my mind about the situation and have little sympathy for the matter and how you are acting. And I'm only up to page 11!

for-rent-eastonmade-22-28-splitter-with-8-way-wedge_da44cfb2-59d0-4fb4-a051-aaa0790d584f

https://us.letgo.com/en/i/for-rent-...ay-wedge_da44cfb2-59d0-4fb4-a051-aaa0790d584f

Hmmmmm.
Hot damn, guess I have good intuition! Just turn the page and there it is! Stick a fork in this, it's done.

Andrew, have you any plans to update your open box wedge design? Yours is a great start but there are a few makers who have taken the box wedge idea much further and their machines are, if you don't mind me saying, more compelling in my opinion, when it comes to box wedge splitters. I'm still a few months away from having the $ but am putting together a shortlist and will be keeping a watching brief on what manufacturers are doing for the next few months.

It may be you don't see enough demand for them to keep advancing the box wedge option? I can't actually find any better alternative than the box wedge for the money I'm looking at spending and the ideas I have for its use. I'd be surprised if the demand isn't there yet for you and others up there.

I've read more than enough in this thread, thanks (I think somewhat ironically as I'm sure it wasn't his intention) to the now infamous Bryan, to feel confident you are definitely worth dealing with, it's just a matter of your box wedge designs advancing to a point they are at least on par with what I'm seeing elsewhere.

I commented on a couple of things I thought might be future problems early in this thread. One being the backbone wedge support being to tall to support the wedge when splitting oversized rounds. Since Bryan started his posts, I went and watched a few videos of users running one of the Eastonmade splitters and believe I saw another potential problem. The users where putting the biggest round they could on the splitter and trying to split with the 6way and 8way wedges. The machine seemed to have plenty of power to do so, but I watched the top half of some of those big round tilt upward, almost standing on end. It looked like those big pieces where trying to enter the recessed wedges side ways, instead of endways. Looking more closely, it appeared that the big pieces where extending above the pusher plate after partially splitting. If the pusher plate was a few more inches taller, I think it would push the whole round thru the wedge instead of just the lower half of the round leaving the top half to lift up on top of the wedge and the pusher plate end of the round to bind cross grain between the wedge and pusher. You would probably have to watch a few of those Utube videos to see exactly what I am talking about.Maybe I can go back and find the one I am talking about.
This video shows what I am talking about. Watch at the 2minute mark how the top split raises up and almost hangs cross ways betweenwedge and pusher

Mudd, I couldn't watch that whole video. Should never be more than two people involved in a splitter like this and 1 would be best. That's too many hands for the lever guy to keep an eye on especially with the big guy who kept sticking his hands where they shouldn't be. And I know it's a new machine and a testing video but the guy running the valves was hitting the wrong levers once in awhile, that's how fingers get lost. I'm still not a fan of the 6 or 8 way wedges on those big pieces as there is just too much splitter trash and it seems like lots of resplitting needed anyway. Now doing 16" wood I think they would be fine but on the big stuff shown it was more work than a 4 way would be with multiple passes. I think a multiple pass box wedge would be better. Processors are a whole different ballgame.
Years ago when my Dad used to help me by running the levers he would get a little rammy on the levers when my hands were close, I would "accidently" drop a split onto his foot to remind him to be careful.
He seemed to remember to slow down a bit then.
Spare the rod and spoil the child.

Mudd, Andrew has already made a splitter like I was describing. The model 12-22 has the type of box wedge that works perfect for those big nasty rounds and will last.
Yea, I like their box wedge a lot. I actually removed my adjustable wedge hyd and built a box wedge to go on my splitter. 0612181315.jpg That was the first attempt and I thought I had it all figured out. This is what the wedge looked like after the second round. 0612181347.jpg. Needless to say, my experiment didnt work like I had hoped. I had to remove the wedge and put my old 6way back on but without the hyd's. Since It wouldnt adjust up and down anymore, I also removed the bottom set of wings and made it a 4 way. I kind of suspected my box wedge design wouldnt hold up, but I built it with scrap I had laying around. I changed the blade stagger so that the center vertical wedge was making the final split instead of the leading splits. My horizonal blade was make out of a RRCrossing gate weight. 1/2in recycled soft steel. My designed allowed the leading edge of the horizonal wedge bend up in the center under pressure. The more it bent up the bigger the wood got as it entered the wedge. 2 rounds was all it took to destroy the wedge. I had to get my wood split for the winter, so I havent gotten around to building a new box wedge, but My failed attempt did show me that all my ideals are not always good ones. I also blamed the manufacturer for the defective blade design. Poor design, poor metal choices, and sloppy welding, the manufacturer of my box blade certainly screwed up. My steel supplier wants $200 for a new piece of 1" plate to make my new horizonal wedge. I am still hopeing to find a piece of scrap somewhere so I can rebuilt it.

Back