Eastonmade Wood Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just out of curiosity, in regards to a refund of the purchase price less machine hours accumulated. My question to you, what is 7 months of your wages worth. What is months of aggravation worth. I purchased new equipment for I didn't have to deal with these issues, I purchased new equipment for their warranties. Now look at what has evolved in the last 7 months.
Tearing up stuff and fixing it is part of life for lots on here I would expect. Was there a 30 day no questions asked return policy? It is pretty obvious what the machine is, if your business model is to collect left over from arborists and tree removal sites and process that into firewood the vertical single wedge on the ram would be the tool for a good portion of those pieces, and a relatively large chainsaw.

The
I think you have received responses here that might have been different if you had started out differently.

What is the problem with the conveyor, this is hardly addressed, that spilled oil looks to me like really used engine oil not hydraulic fluid.

Hydraulic equipment needs a lot of sizing so they do not damage themselves. I have a hydraulic band sawmill and it is amazing how hard to damage it they have refined the product. How some folks that make their can get it right that the band breaks or a pressure bypass exists without tearing up and making adjustments is beyond me. Hydraulic stuff can be expensive, even if things need modified it is likely less expensive to get an existing unit that has purchased the stuff in bulk.

What I see in your pictures is the top half of an 8 way a 6 way is in video on page 1 here.

How about your suggestions for improvements? I made my own splitter, just the beam portion not the pump portion and can spot some design deficiencies.

The raising of the starting point of the bottom of the log is good, for anything but a vertical blade. The cylinder is low hardly more than a few inches above that, this will make massive stresses on the slider holding the ram.

I think those wing things on the multi attachments are too thin for their length.

I have not really paid attention to processers lately but it seems the cylinder and the center of the multi blade are in line and after the cylinder (round of firewood) is cut by the hydraulic chainsaw it drops down to the splitting area where it is raised so the center of the round is at the center of the multi blade. All this done from a safe distance. You must have realized this type of thing existed and opted for the movable splitting center.

I think the damage is from jumping the truck, the stop or bumper creates a deformation in the frame that deflects the more rear portion of the frame. Not sure what load them might have but do know one person quite a while ago that damaged a new F250 jumping it when empty virtually new. The description of the bumper damage is from many pictures on the internet I have seen and the current F150.

The cylinder is set low to prevent any extra leverage on the beam. Just like putting a bar on a ratchet. However if the pusher bolts arent maintained it allows a lot more movement in that assembly

We run a huge rod in the cylinder. If there is any flex in the pusher the hub should put the load into the rod instead of the beam. (.003" between the end of the rod and pusher face, its tight)

The wings are the same size as most large processors. However these particular ones are made out of mild steel instead of any exotic material. The reason we do this is so the wings have some give. When heating high carbon/high strength steel the heat affected area (weld) becomes brittle. You can run a wood splitter with a wing that has a bit of curve in it, but it sucks if the wing pulls right off. We have changed the wings to stronger material and so far we are having good luck with them.

Where is the communication from september about a defective wedge? This was october 31st. The wedge wings being bent does not affect the operation of the machine. It will indeed still split wood. At this same time (oct 31st) you sent pictures of everything else. You also said that 50% of the blocks were not cut square (again use some common sense and follow instructions in the owners manual). You also mentioned getting the phenolic made locally. I didnt feel there was much of a point in paying freight on a wedge that still works when I needed to send you a frame anyways. I knew if i sent you what we normally use you would detroy that one also. Again I had to find a better solution. 5 weeks later when contact had been made the machine had 40 more hours on it (clearly it could still function) and i was told it had gotten worse. At this same time I had told you that I had been working on new design for you. You felt that was unreasonable and wanted DRASTCIALLY more from me, in return you wouldnt slander and blackmail me. I declined. Now we are here.

Throughout the last 5 pages of this post my story hasnt changed and I have all the supporting documents and communications. If you interested in what i have to offer send me a pm and i am more than happy to look after you.

Was just getting ready to quote that part of your reply. This aspect has been ignored and I personally think this is what caused all the issues. From the "people he works for" page you can see they get a lot of their wood from tree companies trimmers. They beg for it. We all know how much tree trimmer/companies are worried about making straight cuts. Once the wedge got bent and you keep pushing stuff through it's going to compound the damage. If you go against a makers directions for a machine, you give up your rights for manufacturing flaws because you introduced abuse that was not supposed to happen in the first place. I get tired of people feeling they have to be told to have common sense so it's on someone else to bail them out. We all make mistakes and normally man up and take our lumps.

Bottom line is Andrew is STILL offering to help you out which is amazing to me. As others have said, what you think will hurt him is going to get him more business as people will direct potential customers to this thread and see his story has not changed.

Here is a Ford truck that has to go into the shop for a WARRANTY claim:

I bet he's not a racer, wasn't renting it out, and didn't have an employee driving it either. It's okay though because the owners manual didn't say not to jump it 90 feet through the air so it should have been able to take it. Just by chance, it needs a new frame as well! :laughing:

No rental, Insurance company would not allow or cover equipment and even threatened to drop the policy. The issue was potential theft by deception, if a customer rented the equipment and never returned it, that is big issue in the Chicagoland area.

That doesn't make much sense - or else nobody would be renting anything out for fear of it being stolen.

So you did plan to rent it out until your insurance said no? Would that be your COMMERCIAL insurance policy?

I did look, watched hours of videos, unfortunately most where from the manufacturer. My own Attorney said Bryan don't waste your time, chalk it up as a lessoned learned. Next time you purchase equipment get referrals!

Not very often an attorney says don't bother. I've only seen that where there is no case to be had. I guess you decided not to take his advice.

I don't think referrals would have helped you any. Seems like there would be all kinds of good ones to be had for this equipment - then what, go after the referring parties when you break it?

I wish. Unfortunately I don't think it works that way in WI, at least not very often. It's a shame really the extent to which drinking in excess and driving is commonplace in WI. It's disgusting and terrifying.

Said in jest as no one wants to take responsibility for their own actions anymore. Part of the "Mom says I'm perfect, so it's not my fault" attitude that has slowly become normalized anymore.

Since you seemed to disagree with what I posted
The cylinder is set low to prevent any extra leverage on the beam. Just like putting a bar on a ratchet. However if the pusher bolts arent maintained it allows a lot more movement in that assembly
This would be pertaining to the bending of the beam, a choice of the distance between the webs to a large degree. I intended on addressing the twisting forces on the carriage. This example has a multi wedge attachment high. for a single vertical wedge there would be no twisting forces if the center of the cylinder rod was at the center of the log. The more forces up high the more the twisting force and the more tension at the front bolt holding the piece under the upper flange of the beam. The more tension the more likely it will loosen when not in tension or whatever mechanism makes bolts come undone. Perhaps a castleated nut and a split pin or something commonly seen on front wheel bearings in automobiles. I have a feeling a lot of these devices are run in a manner the guy who bought it is telling the guy running it to hurry up. There is also the right left twisting forces especially for that downward pointing multi splitting attachment I have seen in this thread. For say a knot on one side. The length of the carriage is crucial here as well, if it was longer two closely spaced fasteners could be placed in the tension zone.

We run a huge rod in the cylinder. If there is any flex in the pusher the hub should put the load into the rod instead of the beam. (.003" between the end of the rod and pusher face, its tight)
The cylinders generally have pins at the ends and the forces compression and tension being transmitted through the pins that move on a carriage or on pivots. I have my doubts the bushings inside a hydraulic cylinder are designed for external twisting or bending forces. Perhaps a communication lack here.

The wings are the same size as most large processors. However these particular ones are made out of mild steel instead of any exotic material. The reason we do this is so the wings have some give. When heating high carbon/high strength steel the heat affected area (weld) becomes brittle. You can run a wood splitter with a wing that has a bit of curve in it, but it sucks if the wing pulls right off. We have changed the wings to stronger material and so far we are having good luck with them.
sure there are varying degrees what is exotic. At what point is a solid steel wire and carbon dioxide not to be used any more and a low hydrogen electrode or dual shield process right up to the stuff they make submarines out of that take pre heat and post heat that may be a few days. Stress relieve, heat treat. I realize the thinner the material the more it will cut as opposed to split and the less force on the ram.

Andrew has said a lot of things, have the texts, hell I've been waiting since October for edges in which he was notified in September of the issue. October he acknowledge the edges and I quote " we have changed the material for the wings on the wedge of the 22-28's. I can get you down an updated replacement. Your missing a nut underneath the pusher. Did it strip? The material is phenolic" the nut in question was sheared off. Today is December 22, 2018. After describing over calls, texts , emails sending photos of material being wedged under pusher, don't worry we are working on it. And now I am being told to wait till the end of January, should I wait o see what happens and then start complaining. How long should an individual, a paying customer wait patiently before becoming irritated, upset and then pissed, 30, 60, 90, 120 days. And now after downtime and the feeling the costs of the downtime. Now, in the one of the busiest times of the year I have to go to rent someone's equipment and spend more money. When I purchased this equipment, he didn't wait for payment for 30, 60, 90, 120 days
The offer was simple, send the replacement units, not the upgraded frame to essentially compensate me for the downtime and financial losses and in return I will disclose what every individual, fabrication shops, steel workers, and I believe one is an engineer told me. The fixes are simple, the modifications take time and money. He refused, I asked if he was sure and then he replied that it is best to part ways. Hell, the Attorneys could have drafted a NDCA along with a Hold Harmless agreement and we could have both went on our separate ways.
The machine has been parked in the corner and waiting for videos and we should be ready to post on a much larger platform in the coming days, YouTube, Facebook.
If some one asked you to take off your job for a few months with little to no pay you would blow a gasket.

I understand your pissed, but. No company will compensate you for down time. I'm 60 years old and have never had a company compensate me for down time, never, not once.
Things like this are part of doing business. That's why you get paid for your product, you are the one doing all the work and have all the expense of running a business. It's also your responsibility to have more then one machine so when something goes wrong, you have back up. That's also part of doing business.

Since you seemed to disagree with what I posted

This would be pertaining to the bending of the beam, a choice of the distance between the webs to a large degree. I intended on addressing the twisting forces on the carriage. This example has a multi wedge attachment high. for a single vertical wedge there would be no twisting forces if the center of the cylinder rod was at the center of the log. The more forces up high the more the twisting force and the more tension at the front bolt holding the piece under the upper flange of the beam. The more tension the more likely it will loosen when not in tension or whatever mechanism makes bolts come undone. Perhaps a castleated nut and a split pin or something commonly seen on front wheel bearings in automobiles. I have a feeling a lot of these devices are run in a manner the guy who bought it is telling the guy running it to hurry up. There is also the right left twisting forces especially for that downward pointing multi splitting attachment I have seen in this thread. The length of the carriage is crucial here as well, if it was longer two closely spaced fasteners could be placed in the tension zone.

The cylinders generally have pins at the ends and the forces compression and tension being transmitted through the pins that move on a carriage or on pivots. I have my doubts the bushings inside a hydraulic cylinder are designed for external twisting or bending forces. Perhaps a communication lack here.

sure there are varying degrees what is exotic. At what point is a solid steel wire and carbon dioxide not to be used any more and a low hydrogen electrode or dual shield process right up to the stuff they make submarines out of that take pre heat and post heat that may be a few days. Stress relieve, heat treat. I realize the thinner the material the more it will cut as opposed to split and the less force on the ram.

All the pusher bolts use a stover nut (lock nut)

Im not referring to internal bushing in the cylinder. We dont run pivots on both ends of the cylinders. If there is a pivot on the pusher (like every other manufacturer) then there is a Really good chance to have the pusher pivot and cause this damage. When done like this you rely solely on the bolts to hold it there. We run a large hub on the pusher in which the rod of the cylinder slides into with minimal clearance. This eliminates the ability for the pusher to pivot, unless like stated the wear plates seated into the beam and loosened.

Still waiting to see whats been put through splitter.

The fact this information has not been shared as freely as evidence of the damage to the splitter, calls the validity of the claim into question.

I think it was @muddstopper that has an excellent analogy earlier in the thread. I too have been around heavy equipment for the majority of my life. Ive seen an inexperienced operator tear the wheel off a CAT 836G compactor and Ive witnessed a well seasoned operator grade 2 acres of 1:3 using nothing but his experience and a CAT D7E.

bolt and stover nut.jpg Stover® lock nuts are one-piece hex nuts which derive their prevailing torque characteristics from controlled distortion of their top threads from their normal helical form to a more elliptical shape. Frequently used in farm machinery, plus in the automotive and metalworking industries, they can withstand severe vibration and shock loads.

How one of those loosens to the point it is missing? I have never heard that term but they are used in a few places on my equipment notably a flail mower and they are single use items, ie if removed use a new one.

You stated bolts not tightened did not you? Look at the picture in post #87 sure looks like the bolts are not of sufficient length.

View attachment 691992 Stover® lock nuts are one-piece hex nuts which derive their prevailing torque characteristics from controlled distortion of their top threads from their normal helical form to a more elliptical shape. Frequently used in farm machinery, plus in the automotive and metalworking industries, they can withstand severe vibration and shock loads.

How one of those loosens to the point it is missing? I have never heard that term but they are used in a few places on my equipment notably a flail mower and they are single use items, ie if removed use a new one.

You stated bolts not tightened did not you? Look at the picture in post #87 sure looks like the bolts are not of sufficient length.

H beams are never perfectly flat. As the phenolic wears into the beam the bolts are no longer as tight as they were when initially installed. We typically have 3 threads protruding past the nut. Which is common practice.

We always ensure the bolt is through the nut enough to be past the lock

I started suspecting it on about page 5 of this thread. Especially seeing the damage pics, but as soon as I saw this guy's "MD Group, Inc." Facebook page, I knew he was renting this thing out. I don't care what he says. I used to work at a rental house that catered to tree workers/firewood guys/loggers and we had 5 splitters that we rented out. A lesson we learned quickly is that people that rent wood splitters can tear up an anvil with a tack hammer in short order. We custom built our own "rental proof" splitters because no one built a reasonably priced splitter that would stand up to the abuse. Even then we were constantly replacing broken ram bolts, straightening bent tables, and other tomfoolery that only meth and a case of natty light could explain. To give you an idea, our splitters were designed to put a 12" diameter piece of oak on the table SIDEWAYS and it would slice it across the grain like butter without bending anything. Yet the renters still can manage to eff things up. Our splitters had THOUSANDS of hours on them (yes they had meters). Guys would pay for a whole weekend, pick it up Friday morning and run it around the clock until they brought it back Monday morning.

This machine is being rented. Period. I've been in that industry and I know better. You have a machine like that on your lot and guys will almost fistfight over being the one to take it home. Pay a lot more for it too. I'm not buying the "insurance said no" excuse either.

Latest posts

Back