Easy 2 start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtstang462002

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Has anybody had any experience with stihl's easy to start system? I am in the market for a new saw for my wife. She grabbed ahold of my 290 the other day while it was running and started cutting and got the bug. The problem comes to be that she can't break the compression stroke to fire the saw up. I noticed the easy2start system on stihl's website and looks very user friendly but I am interested to know how well it stands up to everyday use as we spend most days through the winter cutting firewood.

A older friend of mine has two a ms 250 and ms 180 and he likes them havent had any problems yet. He has had shoulder problems so he bought them. I have used the ms 250 quite a bit you have to get use to it you will try to start it the old way like the regular saws. I let my mom (who is 64yrs old) try the ms 250 and she was able to start it ok. I think the ms 250 is the biggest saw for the easy start system,I would recomend the easy start if you need it.

my 280 has a compression release-would that help? I've never used the easy start...
kevin j

It's that quick pull that she can't get coodinated with. The easy2start worked very well for her... I am looking for feedback on the durability of the system... Thanks

My 87 year old dad has had the 180 about a year. He probably cut more then a couple cords with no problems. I would guess if you treat them right they'll do the same for you. If somebody gets a hold of it and treats it like its something else other then what it is I would expect problems. Keep the saw well tuned for starting and pull it like its meant to be pulled , should last. It might be better on the smaller models for reliability. Just speculating.

I bought a ms170 for my wife to use about a year ago. She is pretty good with it. My only advise would not to get the easy chain adjustment system too. It's more of a pain than it's worth. The easy start is great for her though. Cuts surprisingly well with the small chain too.

bought the wife a ms210 with the easy2start. She absolutly loves it. I still have to sharpen it for her but other than that I turn her loose and am picking the peices up behind her...

Back