Easy firewood score

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sredlin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This has to be the easiest firewood score I have ever came across. Pine 4X4's, 52 inches long--these were used inside of large water pipe for support on transit---the contractor has them piled in cubes of 225 pieces--just back up and load---no splitting just cut into 3 or 4 pieces---already dry---I have picked up about 1200 so far

This has to be the easiest firewood score I have ever came across. Pine 4X4's, 52 inches long--these were used inside of large water pipe for support on transit---the contractor has them piled in cubes of 225 pieces--just back up and load---no splitting just cut into 3 or 4 pieces---already dry---I have picked up about 1200 so far

Talk about being in the right place at the right time!! Excellent score:clap: :clap:!!

can't hardly believe it---3 miles from home ---they do have one or two nails each in the ends but I can dodge them with the saw

no I use a Jotul F3 cast iron stove---I know pine isn't the best but it works for everybody out west--I will throw on some hackberry, ash or mulberry when I get the stove going good

no I use a Jotul F3 cast iron stove---I know pine isn't the best but it works for everybody out west--I will throw on some hackberry, ash or mulberry when I get the stove going good

I always thought you weren't supposed to burn softwood in a fireplace or stove? I guess you just need to load the stove and clean the chimney more often?

I always thought you weren't supposed to burn softwood in a fireplace or stove? I guess you just need to load the stove and clean the chimney more often?

Some parts of the world/country don't have access or the luxury of burning all hardwood or any hardwood. Poorly seasoned or improperly burned hardwood will give you just as many chimney problems as softwood.

can't hardly believe it---3 miles from home ---they do have one or two nails each in the ends but I can dodge them with the saw

Burn 'em nails and all. Keep a strong magnet handy to pull the nails from the ash before you spread on your lawn or anywhere you might walk.

If that we're the case, there'd be a lot of mighty cold people living above the 45th parallel and elsewhere where hardwoods are pretty scarce.

don't think you have to clean it more if you burn hot but maybe the guys who burn mostly pine can let us know

If that we're the case, there'd be a lot of mighty cold people living above the 45th parallel and elsewhere where hardwoods are pretty scarce.

good to know, we always left the softwood behind when doing firewood. I guess having an adequate supply of hardwood negates the need to mess with the other stuff. It's got to get messy handling pine with all that sticky sap.

Hello,
Burn it HOT and you don't have to worry about creosote !!!!! I burn lots of pine......no problem !!!!!

BAsso

It's got to get messy handling pine with all that sticky sap. I don't know what kind of pine it is but no sap at all

Too bad they weren't a little longer. You could sell them to someone to make a fence row with them. Then use the money and buy a few cords of wood. I still think there could be another use for them other than firewood, unless you really need it.:monkey: Nice score either way.

I still think there could be another use for them other than firewood
I am thinking of what I could use them for---I already have my stove wood cut for the next year and a half

I once saw a house built entirely out of stacked 2x4 and 4x4 lumber. Solid 3.5" inch thick wood walls throughout.

folks in Tulsa are spoiled ... with a free municipal green dump for home owners, minimal charge for commercial.

this means a central dumping point for all tree contractors and home owners in Tulsa.

they've got a HUGE tub grinder that spews out mountains of free mulch. with front end loaders that loads mulch only for free. You gotta load your own wood.

there's always a football field+ worth of free wood for the taking. don't see what you like... wait a bit and someone will pull up with what your are looking for.

only negative is location... aprox. 15 miles out near edge of town. but it's located right off an expressway. sooo... it's not really that bad.

Last edited:
If I had a new source for rough sawed 4 by 4's I'd start building these again in a heartbeat. I built about 20 of these 4 years ago and they were selling as fast as I built them for $250 each, with a $200 profit. My free wood source (work) got cut off because everybody wanted to burn them, go figure??

I would have used that wood to build something that would firewood. hell, as nice as that was i would have built me a little house so I could hide from my wife.

Looks like some nice wood there. Run those logs through a planer to clean em' up and you could probably sell it for more value then burning it.

Latest posts

Back