Easy start recommendation?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sy308

Reaction score
We have had a terrible storm here and I am barrowing my friend's Husky 455 to supplement my older 41. I find mine is much easier to start than his. Mine is 10 yrs old an his is very new. This is very frustrating. The more tired you get, the less you want to pull the cord. My question is, ASSUMING THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH HIS UNIT, is this characteristic of the newer saws of all manufacturers or is there another brand name with similar capabilities which will be easier to deal with? I thank you for any help you might offer. I am comfortable with Stihl, Dolmar as well as Husky.

You have to assume there is a problem with his 455 because usually they are easy to start.It could be many things like fuel problem,seized piston,etc.Better check it or have someone do it .

Please elaborate for us. Is the cord harder to pull, or does it just take more pulls to get it started? How does each run once you get it started? How many pulls are we talking here?

If it's physically harder to pull, that's not good, but if it's just a matter of getting it to fire, and it's new, it's likely just a simple carb adjustment issue.

Welcome to AS.

Jeff

Lots of pulls, 10-20. It idles well. It can be put down for several minutes and does not stop. It starts easier from cold, 5-8 pulls. Once it runs and stops, it is a bear to restart. Lots of power. Pulls are not hard. It probably has only a few hours on it. Thanks.

sy308 said:
Lots of pulls, 10-20. It idles well. It can be put down for several minutes and does not stop. It starts easier from cold, 5-8 pulls. Once it runs and stops, it is a bear to restart. Lots of power. Pulls are not hard. It probably has only a few hours on it. Thanks.
When she is hot and she starts,do you have to play with the throttle like she is missing gas ?

hot hard start

I had 2 455's like that.A 1/8 turn richer(counter clockwise) on the low speed screw fixed it.

Yes, I have noticed that once it catches that it seems to die rather quickly. I might try to turn the low speed screw slightly. How can I identify the slow speed screw by position? Is it labeled? Thanks.

look for "L" on the cover, thats the low speed mixture screw, while "H" being the high screw and "T" is the low speed screw...

Thanks. I will look for the "L" screw and try to richen the mixture slightly.

Latest posts

Back