Easy way to adjust the tamper proof mixture screws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arrowhead

RARE BREED
Reaction score
I've been meaning to buy a set of the tamper proof screwdrivers for adjusting the modern carbs with these crap screws, but I keep forgetting to get a set. I've been using a dremel with the fiber disc to cut slots in the heads of them. It literally takes less than 30 seconds on most carbs. Eventually I get a set of the drivers, but for now this works great. Thought I'd share.

POS screws....

IMG_9580.jpg

The Dremel disc...

IMG_9581.jpg

Cutting the slot...
IMG_9582.jpg

20 seconds later... adjustable with a regular freakin screwdriver.

IMG_9583.jpg

It works great for most carbs and is easy and quick to do if you don't have the special drivers like me.

That works, and I've done a few that way. But once I finally got around to getting the right tools, I actually like them better than the slotted screws on the older ones. They are much easier to keep on the screw while you're trying to tune up.

I'll never forget the first time I ran into those little :censored:'s , I was PO'd. Cussed the EPA, and Husky for a good half hour or so. Now, I prefer those over the plastic limiter caps.

Ok. I have to ask...what are the "correct tools" and where would one purchase them should they be so inclined. The husky tool is an obvious buy which i have but there are others that the husky tool doesnt fit. One that comes to mind is for the ryobi line of saws.

Thanks

ebay be your best bet. but prices have gone way up due to the epa crack down.

there are 4 common tools that cover pretty much all the carbs

spine
pacman
d
double d

better hurry up and get them while you can. epa's going to make them much harder to get pretty soon.
the dremmel slot works, but i'd rather have it so somebody can't just toss a flat screw driver in there after i've gone through the trouble of tuning it properly. considering the cost of the drivers, there's no excuse not to have them.

Best bet is to Google it or other web search Ebay nixed them due to EPA.

ebay be your best bet. but prices have gone way up due to the epa crack down.

there are 4 common tools that cover pretty much all the carbs

spine
pacman
d
double d

The whole set used to be less than $30. I saw ONE yes 1 for $34.50 on Ebay last week. Glad I bought my set a while back. Price has gone stupid like when rifle magazines went stupid after shooting spree.
Shep

You can bank on the certainty that the tamper-proofing methods will keep changing, so a tool that works today will work only until the next new method is imposed. Remember the epoxy mandate? I wonder when the EPA will resort to enforcing the fine for tampering ($3700 for a user, $37000 for a dealer if I remember correctly). I try to leave the carb looking like factory when possible. The D and double D shanks can sometimes be turned with a length of tubing of the right ID that is forced over the shank. The too-tight ones can be gripped with the right size roll pin that is pressed on and then squeezed with a vise grip.

The last set I bought I did a search online and found a small engine shop that had the set for around 30 bucks.

better hurry up and get them while you can. epa's going to make them much harder to get pretty soon.
the dremmel slot works, but i'd rather have it so somebody can't just toss a flat screw driver in there after i've gone through the trouble of tuning it properly. considering the cost of the drivers, there's no excuse not to have them.

Take small copper tube, slip over oddball screwhead with some killer epoxy. Other end of the tube is flattened to acccept normal small flatblade. Or maybe square, and use a robertsons driver. Small dab of bright color paint on it would help you keep it straight in your head where you are in the adjustment.

For that matter, you could make the tube long enough to clear the case.

Exteral finger adjustment would be cool, if possible. I can't see how to do it because of clearance issues unless you used a little flex shaft arrangement though, to make H and L separated a little on the outside. Then some tuning knob, small one, I don't think it would need to be very large at all. Radio shack parts maybe?

thanks Young...do they vary in ID/OD or are they standard sized for each "type"

standard size. like its been stated before complete set from under 30 and its stupid high. even Edge & Engine use to sell the whole set. not anymore.

Latest posts

Back