Easy wood!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwboomer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A month or more ago, the utility company hired a tree service to knock down trees. They cut alongside a park down the road, and last week I went to the city to see what the deal was with the wood there. They said if it was city property, they would have cleaned up the wood. So it may be railroad right away (doubtful as it's about 65 feet up hill from the tracks) according to them. They said if the tree service didn't want the wood (they don't) I could take whatever I want.
Totally not expecting that!

5 pickup loads in about an hour and a half
0113011006.jpg

I'm not so much with tree ID, but I believe most of what was brought home was elm. Also a couple 4' ash logs. Most of that was already taken. Also some large fruitwood of some sort - possibly apple.
I'm curious about this:
0113011008.jpg

There is a lot of it still standing along the tracks, and a fair amount down. It's a pretty deeply ridged bark, with a slightly yellowish wood. It seems pretty weighty so I' hoping for hardwood.

Almost positive it's black locust. Never burned it myself(just cut for others) but it's supposed to be one of the best.

The heavy yellow wood is definitely Black Locust, you hit the jackpot there for firewood. Go back and get as much as you can!!

Just read the rest of your description and I think the yellow wood is Locust also. Most of the pile looks like Elm, with a couple sticks of Boxelder, maybe.

Good eye. My helper is worse at tree ID than I am, and picked up a bit of box elder.

After looking at pics of locust I'd say you guys are right on the mark. I looked over a few species but didn't even think of locust. Sweet. I"ll be back on monday to cut up the big chunks and load as much as possible. Might be able to double the size of that pile!

Yeah I would say that is locust too. I cut some dead ones out of a fence row every now and then. Not sure how long they been dead but man were they dry. When locust is good and dry is burns like coal. Gives off tons of heat
Bob

So I went from the pile in the first pic to this with 4 loads

0401011048.jpg

Probably 70% black locust with the remainder being elm, a little ash, and a few nice big hunks of cherry :msp_thumbsup:

The hauler with one of the medium sized loads
0401010918.jpg

There was a 20' locust log from 12-16" in diameter that stacked much nicer in the truck :smile2:

one more good sized load next week of mostly elm that I have to pull up the hill, and a 10' ash log. Sadly, there is a 30' ash at the bottom of the hill there is no hope of getting :bang:

Nice scavenging! Rep sent for it. My little corner of the state is too wet to go to the woods right now, thinking a couple dead road ditch trees might be meeting Mr. Dolmar this weekend just to keep cutting.

Nice scavenging! Rep sent for it. My little corner of the state is too wet to go to the woods right now, thinking a couple dead road ditch trees might be meeting Mr. Dolmar this weekend just to keep cutting.

Thanks, Steve. The area I was able to drive on is about 20' wide and covered in the shredded/chipped debris from the operation so relatively stable - except one spot where I threw down smaller branches.
Yesterday was the first time I fired up the DCS510 since early december. 7 pulls :rock:
Good to do some cuttin. and I'm durn sure glad it isn't more than 30degrees out :D

ah come on man.. get a fifty dollar electric winch from tsc use it to get the chunks pulled up hill then return it...cut four foot length'sand pull it out..:rock:

ah come on man.. get a fifty dollar electric winch from tsc use it to get the chunks pulled up hill then return it...cut four foot length'sand pull it out..:rock:

I've got a winch on my log/car hauling trailer, and a 3k winch on my ATV. No way to get the trailer to the spot, and I'm not sure I can operate the ATV legally in that spot. I'd need another 50' of cable and to attach the snatch block to the hitch of the truck, section the ash and have someone at the bottom of the hill to guide it up.
Not that I've thought about it or anything :msp_biggrin:

Latest posts

Back