ebay 660 issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought an MS361 crankcase from that seller and I had no problems at all. Like others have said wait for his response before resorting to negative feedback and or using the Resolution Centre especially since he has 100 percent positive feedback so far.

Regards

Phil

I agree with Big B, if you are going to spend almost what a new 660 costs from the dealer why not get a new one. I bought my 660 new from my local dealer for less than $1000. For the extra money I spent I knew I had a dependable saw with a good dealer to support it if I had any issues. I have bought saws off ebay a few times, but they were strictly parts saws, so I had no expectation that they would run. This brings to mind the old saying, "the stingy man spends the most".

the two dealers i went to said they would do a new 660 with a 32" bar was 1130 out the door, if it was only a difference of $200 i would have gone to the dealer.

at this point i've sent two messages to him since i received and it still have no response. i plan on giving him 24 hours to respond and then will go to ebay. i will give him 3 days before i leave negative feed back.

i'm also willing to be reasonable with the guy, like a few people have said i would be willing to keep the saw if he refunds the difference of what i paid thinking it was a good working saw and what a "needs repair" saw would go for. which would probably be the best so that way it doesnt get dragged out longer (ie ship time and time it takes for the refund etc) or the other option is i send it back and get a full refund including shipping from ebay(per their buyer protection program wording)

at this point its more frustrating that it looks like the guy buys saws and turns around selling them, which there is nothing wrong with i would think though you would go through them and give an accurate account of the condition of the saw especially at that price.

sure looks like someone was in that saw once before, It might just be the pics but the cyl bolts don't look OEM STIHL either, never seen a stihl bolt with serrated sides.

Correct,

The Cyl bolts are not OEM, could be off an older Stihl
like 056 but not off 066/660.

TT

The saw has quite a few issues for a "good running saw." No air filter on a "good running saw?" The wording he used sounds as though he was careful not reveal much about the actual condition of the saw. When in doubt, ask plenty of detailed questions.

Send the seller a full list of the issues that you've found, & see if he'll work with you for a partial refund and/or all missing and broken parts. If he won't budge insist on returning the saw for a full refund.

Good luck.

I thought the exact same thing... he kinda covered his six here. He didn't particularly "lie", but her wasn't truly honest either. I never bid on saws that have very vague descriptions. Unless it is an old saw from the 50's or 60's that I know is gonna need work noi matter what condition its in.

Gary

Seems quite obvious the seller is non-responsive to your emails. Two occasions I have sent back saws for not matching the description, and both saying No Returns. Sellers responded quickly and ate the shipping both ways to protect their ratings.

This fellow obviously is not interested in your concerns. Start an Ebay Dispute now. Time is not on your side.

Seems quite obvious the seller is non-responsive to your emails. Two occasions I have sent back saws for not matching the description, and both saying No Returns. Sellers responded quickly and ate the shipping both ways to protect their ratings.

This fellow obviously is not interested in your concerns. Start an Ebay Dispute now. Time is not on your side.

done and done now lets see what happens next. at this point i may take the option off the table to take a refund on the difference. all the things people have been pointing out where things have been changed makes me a bit nervous as to what else was done. i'm at the point i am comfortable pulling apart the the top end of the saw but i really dont want to get into pulling anything else apart or trying to clean up someone elses mess.

done and done now lets see what happens next. at this point i may take the option off the table to take a refund on the difference. all the things people have been pointing out where things have been changed makes me a bit nervous as to what else was done. i'm at the point i am comfortable pulling apart the the top end of the saw but i really dont want to get into pulling anything else apart or trying to clean up someone elses mess.

Don't touch it if you want a refund. Soon as you take it apart it is yours

Don't touch it if you want a refund. Soon as you take it apart it is yours

definitely not planning on playing with it any further. i meant if i got a refund of the difference between a working saw and a needs repair saw would i tear into it.

I thought the exact same thing... he kinda covered his six here. He didn't particularly "lie", but her wasn't truly honest either. I never bid on saws that have very vague descriptions. Unless it is an old saw from the 50's or 60's that I know is gonna need work noi matter what condition its in.

Gary

Caveat emptor. A guy who spends that kind of money without asking questions and with that vague of a description gets exactly what he deserves.

If it was me, Id be looking for a refund, not necessarily to return the saw. The piston will definitely have to be replaced, but the light scoring & 130 psi says to me the chance of the cylinder being useful is high. So you maybe need $100 to cover that & the other minor things that should have been mentioned in the ad.

Thats what Id be looking for in terms of a refund, but as others have mentioned, the ad was pretty vague so its tough to say which way ebay would rule if he didnt play ball.

Caveat emptor. A guy who spends that kind of money without asking questions and with that vague of a description gets exactly what he deserves.

I tend to agree Rexy... that was why I pointed out that the seller probably has pretty much washed his hands of any type of refund/return with a description that vague.

Gary

On the saws you should ask what the compression is - when I was looking I got a couple of "good" "hard to pull" and "I don't know, but it's good" type answers.
I didn't bid very high on those.

Most of the very reputable sellers, like thechainsawguy seem to give numbers.

And since it looks like you will be getting back in the search, Dave's got an 090 for $2300.
http://cgi.ebay.com/STIHL-090G-090-...504108951?pt=US_Chainsaws&hash=item255eca5797

Sounds to me like a simple case of buyer's remorse. That ain't the seller's fault.

there's no buyers remorse.

what if this were a car? i know here in CT we have a lemon law where they need to ether fix the issue or take back the car.

now also going by the selection the person made of "Used: An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or store return that has been used. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections."
would imply that any issues would be listed ie the crack in the air filter cover, the missing airfilter itself, the oil cap being broken (which clearly is not normal wear and tear)

Or perhaps Frank Zappa?

I am sorry must be going a bit senile in my elder years. So far we have the classics:

PT Barnum with there is a sucker born every minute and Don Henley with Dirty Laundry. How does Frank Zappa fit in or do I need to go and smoke a few more of Keith Richards ashes to understand??

Back