ebay 660 issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am sorry must be going a bit senile in my elder years. So far we have the classics:

PT Barnum with there is a sucker born every minute and Don Henley with Dirty Laundry. How does Frank Zappa fit in or do I need to go and smoke a few more of Keith Richards ashes to understand??

Flakes... (seller, not buyer.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IudPPlBmJs4

He might take it back to avoid a big red blob on his feedback. I doubt eBay will make him. Your best argument is that the saw has been rebuilt with an aftermarket inferior cylinder kit and that it should have been disclosed.

How much you wanna bet, the cat that sold that saw had no idear that it had an aftermarket P&C on it...

Gary

i wouldnt say its all i have, i've gone into arbitration with less than that and made it out just fine. i was an auto and property claims adjuster for 2 years and still do the occasional property claim when the company needs me to. generally its not the one issue here and there its all the issues. the biggest issue is the descrepency between the ebay description he has and the actual description he placed in.

and also to circle back i dont mean for this thread to sound like i am complaining, i'm more so dissapointed in the seller being that dishonest. i may be on the younger side but i still operate that my word is my bond and am up front about any issues and i have that same expectation of everyone else. i also started the thread because i was on the fence about making the complaint or just dealing with it and needed some help from the group since i just started working with the saws, if it was anything to do with motorcycles or cars i never would have brought it up since i know them well enough and have come to learn what i am getting. if i wind up stuck with it, well lesson learned and i'll order in all the parts and start about stripping it down and putting a big bore kit on it and picking up the parts i need.

but with everything in motion already and with the majority saying i should ether get a partial refund or full refund i'm going to give it my all so that way at the very end whatever the outcome i cant say i didnt try.

hopefully that makes sense after a long day a few beers

but with everything in motion already and with the majority saying i should ether get a partial refund or full refund i'm going to give it my all so that way at the very end whatever the outcome i cant say i didnt try.

Well you've presented all the facts and we should just wait till you post that he or ebay replied.

But with non-working saws (http://cgi.ebay.com/STIHL-MS660-USE...799?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb1fbbc8f)
going for $435, and the lowest recent sale http://cgi.ebay.com/STIHL-066-CHAIN...685954942?pt=US_Chainsaws&hash=item3cb217ff7e) over $600 w/sh it seems they are getting more valuable. So maybe $690 wasn't that bad if it wasn't for the low compression.

I can see the seller writing that he forgot the air filter and will send you a new one with another oil cap.

What's the compression on your other saws?

i wouldnt say its all i have, i've gone into arbitration with less than that and made it out just fine. i was an auto and property claims adjuster for 2 years and still do the occasional property claim when the company needs me to. generally its not the one issue here and there its all the issues. the biggest issue is the descrepency between the ebay description he has and the actual description he placed in.

and also to circle back i dont mean for this thread to sound like i am complaining, i'm more so dissapointed in the seller being that dishonest. i may be on the younger side but i still operate that my word is my bond and am up front about any issues and i have that same expectation of everyone else. i also started the thread because i was on the fence about making the complaint or just dealing with it and needed some help from the group since i just started working with the saws, if it was anything to do with motorcycles or cars i never would have brought it up since i know them well enough and have come to learn what i am getting. if i wind up stuck with it, well lesson learned and i'll order in all the parts and start about stripping it down and putting a big bore kit on it and picking up the parts i need.

When it is all said and done please post how it is resolved. Will be good info to have.

What's the stuff in the muffler bolt hole on the left?
Also noticed the cyl mounting bolts are mis-matched.

attachment.php

What about the hole in the oil cap? Or the missing air filter.

Oh I agree those are prolly things that should be totally obvious. Even to the guy that sold the saw.

Unless... and this is highly possible... he got the saw in some sort of trade, or it's stolen, or he is an tool that knows nothing about saws,and all he sees is $$$$ signs...

I bet he never used the saw at all... and hucked it on ebay as is. I'm not condoning what the seller did. But a lot of saws are sold on ebay where cats get saws that they know nothing about... except that "it runs good". Prolly never pulled the air filter cover to even check it out.

"Good compression" can mean it actally HAS compression. I doubt the guy tested it. With the exception of pulling on the rope and felt a lot of resistance.

Again... A lot of speculation on my part. Plus, I'm not agreeing with how the guy described the saw on his auction, and am not trying to defend him either. My point being that a vague description usually brings trouble to the buyer. :)

Gary

Not just clueless sellers pushing junk saws on Ebay. About a year ago, I bought a near new 200T on Ebay from a shop in St Louis (Stihl Dealer) that was listed at a BIN price of only $275. Thought I made a great score. Turned out it had the serial # ground off, 120 psi compression, hard to start, and poor acceleration. That fellow obviously knew he was selling a stolen saw that was damaged. He quickly took the saw back after I raised Heck and mentioned contacting Stihl.

However, most Ebay Sellers, many being AS Member, are honest and trustworthy.

Last edited:
I sell a ton on the bay. This sellers description even though a little vague. Over promises and under delivers. Ebay will side with the buyer and force him to take it back. This guy listed 0 faults and it arrived with broken and missing pieces. He did not list as parts saw, The way I read the ad it is ready to use. It clearly is not. There is a saying buyers beware. But When you list it as a good running saw. People expect a saw ready to work. Not low compression and missing parts. The majority of people would be unsatisfied with that saw. And that is all it takes for ebay to side with the buyer. It is the sellers responsibility to list ALL things known about what is being sold. If you know enough to list it as good running and normal wear and tear. You know enough to list the defects. Not just the good, Saying normal wear and tear does not excuse broken or missing parts when not listed in the auction. As per Ebay policy. Their rules override whatever is said in the auction. He may say no returns but if the item is received not as described, He WILL take it back. Dont mess around with this saw. Get your money back and find a good one

first update, received a response back and he just stated "i sent the parts in the mail" and stated he just left the air filter on the bench and it was an honest mistake. he also stated the bar cover is from an ms 460. so i have no idea what parts he sent but it makes me wonder if the air filter was on his bench how did he not notice the crack, or the oil cap? then his next message was "send saw back will refund" however it was outside of the ebay resolution area. i told him i will wait for the parts to come in and then will send it all back at once since i really dont want to mess with a saw someone threw together since i took a look in the spark plug and noticed the top of the piston is extremely clean. there also appears to be some oil seepage out of the decrompression valve.

so it looks like things are headed toward a good resolution but as they say "never count your chickens until they hatch"

I sell a ton on the bay. This sellers description even though a little vague. Over promises and under delivers. Ebay will side with the buyer and force him to take it back. This guy listed 0 faults and it arrived with broken and missing pieces. He did not list as parts saw, The way I read the ad it is ready to use. It clearly is not. There is a saying buyers beware. But When you list it as a good running saw. People expect a saw ready to work. Not low compression and missing parts. The majority of people would be unsatisfied with that saw. And that is all it takes for ebay to side with the buyer. It is the sellers responsibility to list ALL things known about what is being sold. If you know enough to list it as good running and normal wear and tear. You know enough to list the defects. Not just the good, Saying normal wear and tear does not excuse broken or missing parts when not listed in the auction. As per Ebay policy. Their rules override whatever is said in the auction. He may say no returns but if the item is received not as described, He WILL take it back. Dont mess around with this saw. Get your money back and find a good one

Excellent response.

I know things have really moved in the buyer's favor on evilbay in the last coupla years, and that can cause problems for legit sellers dealing with unscrupulous buyers. :chainsaw:

Glad to see the protections in place will help surfincr get back his cashola in the event the seller renegs on his offer to take the saw back and refund the money. :clap:

first update, received a response back and he just stated "i sent the parts in the mail" and stated he just left the air filter on the bench and it was an honest mistake. he also stated the bar cover is from an ms 460. so i have no idea what parts he sent but it makes me wonder if the air filter was on his bench how did he not notice the crack, or the oil cap? then his next message was "send saw back will refund" however it was outside of the ebay resolution area. i told him i will wait for the parts to come in and then will send it all back at once since i really dont want to mess with a saw someone threw together since i took a look in the spark plug and noticed the top of the piston is extremely clean. there also appears to be some oil seepage out of the decrompression valve.

so it looks like things are headed toward a good resolution but as they say "never count your chickens until they hatch"

I see a couple of red flags. He first wrote that he mailed the parts to you, but then he wrote for you to send the saw back for a refund. Was the first communication done within eBay? I ask because you said the second communication was sent outside of eBay. Did he list the parts that he is sending? It sounds as though he didn't send the parts, why else would he send a follow-up saying to return the saw? One thing that I would insist on is all communcations be done from within eBay.

Tough call. He's got a good rating, so I'd talk to him first before you do anything else. It wasn't advertised as being in mint condition.

Me? I enjoy working on saws, so I'd take it and fix what's wrong. But that's me.

:agree2:

I got the "shaft" on CL on an 044, it's no beauty queen, but she runs great! After I have replaced things wrong or missing, I'm going to keep it and maybe rebuild it when it needs it. If I were you, I'd eat it, fix 'er up and run 'er! The problem with getting on someone about there sale, if they wer'nt honest in the listing, chances are there not going to be honest with a complaint?
Of course I didn't read this entire post, maybe I've got egg on my face already?:dizzy:
Would'nt be the first time!:spam:

:agree2:

I got the "shaft" on CL on an 044, it's no beauty queen, but she runs great! After I have replaced things wrong or missing, I'm going to keep it and maybe rebuild it when it needs it. If I were you, I'd eat it, fix 'er up and run 'er! The problem with getting on someone about there sale, if they wer'nt honest in the listing, chances are there not going to be honest with a complaint?
Of course I didn't read this entire post, maybe I've got egg on my face already?:dizzy:
Would'nt be the first time!:spam:

Problem is the saw sold for premium price, based on sellers inaccurate description. Seller deserves to eat the shipping costs both ways.

Latest posts

Back