Ebay closed port piston for a 50/51

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteHavenFarm

Tree Farmah
Reaction score
Picked up a 51 on the cheap a while back. Been a good runner but compression was down and when I pulled the muff, she was mildly scored. Considering a rebuild so I started learning about the open port versus closed port designs available in the model 55.

My 562 and the 359 do the majority of my firewood work, but I like having a beater saw for dirty dead trees and cutting low level brush. I was all set to do a basic rebuild with the larger 55 cylinder kit. Then after learning about closed port and trying to find a cheaper Kit than the $250 one on ebay, I stumbled upon this...

Husqvarna Replacement Piston w Pin Clip Rings New | eBay

Any Opinions on that piston? I know the Mahle and Husky ones had a single ring and my knowledge is a little lacking when it comes to positives and negatives of a second ring on 2 strokes. A forum search for Aurora Canvas did not turn up any results.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Do you have a closed port cylinder??? It doesn't look as nice as my oem one, but if there was something wrong with mine, and thats what was available.............Id run it!

Not yet, still looking. Trying to do it for less than the $250 kit on ebay. Still may be a lot to put into a saw that I only use for dirty work.

Bud I looked for two years for a cheaper alternative. Then one day a guy I know shows me two blown up huskies, both with crank issues. One of them happened to be a closed port 55. I tried to keep a poker face when I whittled him down to 20 bucks for the saw.:msp_wink: Be patient, the parts will find you!

I would have just let the Cad take over and buy the kit, but rumors of a 543 coming out soon sit in the back of my mind and I want to keep some pennies aside for that. As much as I want to complain how expensive browsing these forums can be, it's still far cheaper than my truck building days.

Think about my poor grandpa, who had SAD- Skidder Acquisition Disorder. That guy had 4-5-6 Skidders in various parts and pieces on his property at any one time. He made some cool stuff though. One time he ended up with an extra Cat engine after a skidder went over a rock bluff and tore the frame in two. So he stuffed that Cat motor in a Ford F-350 pickup with all sorts of modifications.

I too am looking for a closed port 55 piston, I have no experience with Auroracanvas though. One thing- a lot of these sellers of aftermarket parts on ebay know very little about the applications of those parts and what they fit or any cross-referencing of parts.

Looks like a "stock" photo to me and I am almost willing to bet you would recieve a standard open port 51 piston. May want to request a picture of the actual piston you would recieve. My vote goes to waiting for the parts to come to you.

Having two rings can effect how fast the engine revs, two rings equals more drag. I have seen times that just running one ring, on a two ring piston, works out fine and sometimes it will cause the skirts to slap.

I have two closed port 55's. One showed up here with a good bit of piston material smeared over the ring and some transfer to the cylinder. It cleaned up nicely, and has been running fine for quite a few years now. It had 145psi compression last time I checked it. Most folks would have scrapped the piston. It had a few heavy scratches in it, some extending well down the skirt, but fit the bore fine once it was cleaned up.

All of the "Rancher" 55's I've seen are open port, and most of the earlier 55's you are going to find will be open port. It's worth the wait for a closed port model. I've sold off all my open port 55's, they don't have near the power of the slightly smaller closed port models. If either one of mine have P/C issues, I wouldn't hesitate to spend $200 for a new closed port P/C for them, as the saws are in great shape otherwise......Cliff

Looks like a "stock" photo to me and I am almost willing to bet you would recieve a standard open port 51 piston. May want to request a picture of the actual piston you would recieve. My vote goes to waiting for the parts to come to you.

Having two rings can effect how fast the engine revs, two rings equals more drag. I have seen times that just running one ring, on a two ring piston, works out fine and sometimes it will cause the skirts to slap.

This was my first thought too. Plus on the dropdown on that ad, he lists a 254 piston, which does look like the picture.

Thanks guys, I get nervous with some of these ebay clowns selling sub-par products. I was able to find a supplier selling a complete NOS Closed port kit for 220. Whereas an open port would be around 70 for the Chinese kit. Ill just wait until CAD pushes me over the edge. Shouldn't take much more than 30 min or so of browsing 51/55 related topics.

The closed port EPA 51s had a 44mm bore and 48.7cc, as far as I remember it. The open port ones had a 45mm bore and 50.9cc (or was it 50.8?).

Back