Ebay Saw / Question about Stihl Part

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I bought an 044 on ebay that was supposed to be nearly new and complete. It showed up with a plastic chain guard that doesnt fit right and isn't for that saw. The part number of the platic changuard is 1125 648 0403. THats not the part number for an 044 on the IPL.

I've never seen an 044 with a plastic chain guard. Has Stihl ever produced one for an 044? I went through the IPLs trying to find which saw this chain cover came off of. Does anyone have access to a list to be able tell what saw it came off of? The saw's condition was miss-represented in the ebay add and I'm gathering data to discuss it with the seller and if I dont get satisfaction, with Ebay and Paypal. Thanks for your help!

Jim

Chain Sprocket Cover. Part #1125 640 1701 is what the 044 IPL listed. That's not what showed up.Thanks,

Jim

The sprocket cover on my ms290 fits on my 046 but just not right, as you said. It is no big deal though, I bought my saw without the cover and bought a brand new metal one for $25. As long as the rest of the saw is nice. Or as described.

The cover fits over the studs, but doesnt fit tight and there are no threads coming through for the bar nuts. THe saw was advertised as a chainsaw in near new shape, but needing a piston and jug only. The seller was asked if all parts of the chainsaw were there and replied that it might be missing a muffler bolt. After buying it, he said that it didnt include a bar or chain. It was advertised as a complete chainsaw, not as a powerhead. I ended up paying him extra for a bar and chain.

The sellers picture shows what appears to be the correct sprocket cover. It's got dogs attached. This cover doesn't have dogs attached and the attachment holes are filled with crap, so I don't think he removed the dogs and shipped it. It looks like a different cover. I hope it's an hones mistake and wrote the seller explaining the situation and asked him to look for the cover.

When the saw showed up, there is quite a bit of rust on some of the parts. It's not horrible, but not as described. In total I feel ripped off. I'm going to wait for his response and hope he comes through. I've had pretty good luck in the past buying stuff on ebay and when selling try to give an accurate discription of what I'm selling.

Thanks,

Jim

As someone else already susggested, it has the chain cover from an 029 or similar model The Plastic version is not suitable for bigger saw (don't thown a big chain though it... etc), but it will fit. There was a breif time when it was available on the 034 but quickly disspeared and went back to metal.

Jim, please post the sellers eBayware name. In the used equipment forum there is a thread for reporting bad purchase experiences. I recently received a real clunker, but the seller gave a generous refund, so I wound up with a parts saw for a decent price.

Latest posts

Back