eBay

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 100% feedback on E-Bay. Things I've sold, I've never had any issues with buyers.

I did once buy an item. It was listed as new, but clearly wasn't when it arrived. I contacted the seller and we worked out an agreement w/o the help of E-Bay.

As others have said, take pictures, don't make an item you're selling sound any better than it really is. Be honest and upfront and you'll be fine.

I have 100% feedback on E-Bay. Things I've sold, I've never had any issues with buyers.

I did once buy an item. It was listed as new, but clearly wasn't when it arrived. I contacted the seller and we worked out an agreement w/o the help of E-Bay.

As others have said, take pictures, don't make an item you're selling sound any better than it really is. Be honest and upfront and you'll be fine.

what's your ebay handle dano? i've always had a suspision that you'ver never shipped or sold anything saw related in your life but like to contribute to these threads anyways. prove me wrong!

If you sell enough saws on ebay you'll eventually sell to someone who doesn't know how to use a chainsaw. I sold one that I knew was good and the buyer asked me to take it back because it wouldn't start. When I got it back I started it on about 3 or 4 pulls cold. Either this guy didn't know how to start a saw or he was "borrowing" it to cut a small amount of wood but didn't want to pay for a chainsaw.

Ebay is like that. I sold a 30 amp 220v breaker to a woman once and she complained that it tripped too often, JUST LIKE THE ONE THAT SHE REPLACED. I advised her to find the short in her dryer, as it was likely not the breaker if 2 of them kept tripping. Doi!

I remember when I was a mechanic at a hardware store/Stihl dealer, the gals up front would send every little problem to me when the owner was gone.

One day they sent me a guy that wanted to return the propane that
he had bought {we filled in his tank}. I asked him what was wrong with it. He said it started and burned fine on
his grill, but his meat wasn't getting done [cooked]............. He wanted us to buy it back {take it out of his tank....}

What can one say?.... If it was E-Bay, he would have his money back......

I see now, a buyer has 6 months to make up his mind if he has a problem with a transaction with paypal......
A lot can happen to a saw in 6 months............

Couple years ago I bought a 660 off eBay.

He listed it complete, running, just gone through by a shop.

Well... for starters he shipped "slow boat" when it was listed as Priority Mail and I had paid accordingly. It took about a month to get it.

I got the saw and it wouldn't idle. Idle was easily 1/2 throttle. No adjusting of the carb helped.

I brought it to my Stihl dealer and it needed a fair amount of parts/labor to repair it.

I requested to return it, I had paid for a mintish saw as described and didn't get it.

Well ebay sided with him, said I wasn't authorized to take MY saw to the dealer as THEY (dealer) could have damaged it. I brought it to the dealer for exactly that... no argument about it vs my own word on needed repairs.

I even called ebay customer support and while they were pleasant to deal with, pretty much "it's not right, but that's the policy"

PayPal is very controlling on the money too. Last year I sold a saw during the holidays and the guy put in a claim after a week for "slow boat" shipping.

Even though he had the tracking number and I had shipped it through PayPal (so they had record of it too) they pulled the money out no questions asked. If he had stuck with the story about not getting it when it arrived a week later (just as the postal had quoted for ship time) PayPal would have never gave me the money back, as they had zero cares about me.

Anymore I prefer face to face transactions. Sort of funny even on here I get "bad mouthed" by some... I very very rarely get that "in real life".

Used to buy lots of saw related stuff on Ebay, now everytime I get on there you got to sort thru all the stuff listed directly from China/Hong Kong. Listings like 25 chain catchers for 99 cents. Finding what I'm looking for is like looking for a needle in a hay stack. Don't hardly get on there anymore, too much hassle sorting thru all the Chinese copy stuff.

what's your ebay handle dano? i've always had a suspision that you'ver never shipped or sold anything saw related in your life but like to contribute to these threads anyways. prove me wrong!

You should know me well enough by now, to know that I don't have to prove anything, or feel an obligation, to anyone.

If you have the time to worry about what I sell or ship, you really need to get a grip and get on with your life. :popcorn2:

You should know me well enough by now, to know that I don't have to prove anything, or feel an obligation, to anyone.

If you have the time to worry about what I sell or ship, you really need to get a grip and get on with your life. :popcorn2:

in the years the only thing i learned about you is your full of **** :laugh: that doesn't mean i don't like you though. i do enjoy your posts.

I just signed up for some free sniping program. It's called Gixen.com. Won three auctions already. For 6$ a year they snipe every auction twice for you. Just letting everyone know what a great service they have.
John

I've used eSnipe since 2003 - I have no complaints at all. They charge %1 for a successful snipe.

Rule #1: NEVER get emotionally involved with a purchase. Figure out what the item is worth to you (including shipping, of course), enter your eSnipe bid, and walk away. You can cancel your bid up until 5 minutes before the auction ends (you can't do this with eBay bids), change your maximum amount, etc. For a bidder, there is only one benefit I can see to bidding before the auction is just about to end. For some items that also have a buy-it-now price, that option disappears for the seller when the first bid is made. I will sometimes bid the minimum amount to force the item into a bidding-only sale, and then snipe it at my "real" valuation.

in the years the only thing i learned about you is your full of **** :laugh: that doesn't mean i don't like you though. i do enjoy your posts.

As I've mentioned many times in the past, I've never cut commercially. I don't cut as much as some, but more than others. That doesn't make me a pro, and I've never claimed to be one. I'm a bit of a horse trader and chainsaws don't hold a special place in my heart. That means I buy, trade, and sell when the urge hits me.

I owned my first chainsaw at about age 9. It was a rebuilt saw, and I did it myself, with help from a saw shop that I hung around.....a lot. I have a long history of family and relatives in the timber industry that goes back almost 100 yrs.

I am glad that you like me and enjoy my posts. You have no idea how much better that makes me feel when I go to sleep at night. ;)

As I've mentioned many times in the past, I've never cut commercially. I don't cut as much as some, but more than others. That doesn't make me a pro, and I've never claimed to be one. I'm a bit of a horse trader and chainsaws don't hold a special place in my heart. That means I buy, trade, and sell when the urge hits me.

I owned my first chainsaw at about age 9. It was a rebuilt saw, and I did it myself, with help from a saw shop that I hung around.....a lot. I have a long history of family and relatives in the timber industry that goes back almost 100 yrs.

I am glad that you like me and enjoy my posts. You have no idea how much better that makes me feel when I go to sleep at night. ;)

:laughing:

I'll admit I don't know how it works but I've seen some auctions on ebay where the "buy it now" does not end when the first bid is made. On all the ones I've done the buy it now did end. There must be a way to set it up one way or the other..

Back