Ebayers and online buyers..... A tip for you!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scootr

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
If you already have Firefox and image Zoom, hit the back button. If you do not, read on. You will like it.

First, download and install the Firefox browser (faster, safer than Internet Explorer). When you install this browser you you have the option to import all your Bookmarks and Favorites, do that.

After you have installed Firefox, go to the top of the browser page and click on Tools- then click on Add-ons. A little box will appear, in the bottom right corner is a Link that says...Get Extensions...Click that.

Now you are at Firefox's Add-on page. At the top there is a search box, click that and type.... Image Zoom, hit enter or search. You will be directed to the Image Zoom program with a description. Click the install button, after it is installed you have to close Firefox (no need to reboot).

Open Firefox, go to Ebay or Craigslist, or anywhere that has pictures. Go to a picture you would like to see close-up, right click and hold it down, now left click and watch your screen fill with the pic you were looking at!

If it is too large, or not big enough, right click. Now you can pick the size you want, or type in a custom setting from the menu. I would not buy anything on Ebay without this feature, you can see a lot of details that do not show up in the stock pics.

Like they say.......A picture is worth a thousand words! Enjoy.

Ron

If you already have Firefox and image Zoom, hit the back button. If you do not, read on. You will like it.

First, download and install the Firefox browser (faster, safer than Internet Explorer). When you install this browser you you have the option to import all your Bookmarks and Favorites, do that.

After you have installed Firefox, go to the top of the browser page and click on Tools- then click on Add-ons. A little box will appear, in the bottom right corner is a Link that says...Get Extensions...Click that.

Now you are at Firefox's Add-on page. At the top there is a search box, click that and type.... Image Zoom, hit enter or search. You will be directed to the Image Zoom program with a description. Click the install button, after it is installed you have to close Firefox (no need to reboot).

Open Firefox, go to Ebay or Craigslist, or anywhere that has pictures. Go to a picture you would like to see close-up, right click and hold it down, now left click and watch your screen fill with the pic you were looking at!

If it is too large, or not big enough, right click. Now you can pick the size you want, or type in a custom setting from the menu. I would not buy anything on Ebay without this feature, you can see a lot of details that do not show up in the stock pics.

Like they say.......A picture is worth a thousand words! Enjoy.

Ron

Interesting! How does it do on low res photos? Does it compensate for the pixelation(?)?

Works pretty good on the standard large pics on Ebay, not the thumbnail pics. Click on the thumbnail pic that you want to see, it goes to the larger 3x5 size pic. Right click that one. If they have the large image pics, it is wonderfull, you can zoom in and get some amazing detail. Try it, you'll like it.

To each his own....

After installing Firefox, I never use IE. No popups, and with a good Aantivirus/Antispyware, I have not had 1 virus problem. If you get used to it, you will never go back to IE. The tabbed browsing is nice too, especially when comparing parts or saws. Just click a tab at the top, and switch between pages as fast as you want.

Firefox is made and maintained by USERS, people who know what they WANT in a browser. Unlike Windoze Internet Explorer, which is a .........MS....take it or leave it.

If you give it a chance, I think you would like it better. It's all about what you are comfortable with. It has so much more functionality, it's lightweight and fast. Kinda like todays chainsaws!

I downloaded it, but also downloaded Fotofox, Screen Capture and PicLens. They all seem to be nice, and will get used.

Image Zoom is slick, but it can't enlarge the file size, so resolution drops right off....

Within IE, to enlarge the entire page size, all one has to do is hold down CTRL and roll the mouse wheel, if you have one.

After installing Firefox, I never use IE. No popups, and with a good Aantivirus/Antispyware, I have not had 1 virus problem. If you get used to it, you will never go back to IE. The tabbed browsing is nice too, especially when comparing parts or saws. Just click a tab at the top, and switch between pages as fast as you want.

Firefox is made and maintained by USERS, people who know what they WANT in a browser. Unlike Windoze Internet Explorer, which is a .........MS....take it or leave it.

If you give it a chance, I think you would like it better. It's all about what you are comfortable with. It has so much more functionality, it's lightweight and fast. Kinda like todays chainsaws!

I did'nt have a probelem with the way it works, it slowed my computer to a crawl and I mean c r a w l

You prolly got it from a site that added something to it. Make sure to go to Mozilla.org to get it. It is faster, almost all Linux systems use Firefox. Get the plane Jane model, no toolbars and such.

i have been using Opera browser for about 10 years now and i like it more than firefox but most people dont. i do like firefox but opera does have a similar image expanding feature. i also like how good opera runs on old PC's (Mine is only 400mhz). but if you dont have firefox get it. its way way better than IE.
opera is the fastest browser there is. i think thats their slogan.

here is another tip.
when on ebay dont bid on the auction unless there is less than a minute left. any bids before that and your just running up the price of hte auction.
this is because ebay is different from traditional auctions due to the timelimit. everyone always gets into unnessesary bidding wars on ebay that could be easily avoided by just bidding at the last minute.

I did'nt have a probelem with the way it works, it slowed my computer to a crawl and I mean c r a w l

Do you normally leave your browser window(s) open for long periods of time with multiple tabs? Firefox, at least version 2 as I haven't tried the new 3 yet, has a bit of a memory leak issue when it's left open for a long time and will eventually eat up hundreds of megs of RAM. I've had the same problem if I leave a window open overnight and then try to use it the next day without closing and re-starting Firefox. Other than that you might not have enough RAM to begin with.

I use both IE (the latest version w/tabbed browsing) and firefox on my PC. Some sites work better with one or the other, If I know Im going to a site that works better with firefox I'll open and use it and vice versa.

Firefox and IE

Firefox is the BEST! I get NO popups, NO adware, it's the greatest thing since Chainsaw chaps!!! :)

As far as Firefox not working on some sites, that's an easy fix. There's an add on called 'IE Tabs' that will switch between the firefox engine and IE's enging just by clicking the firefox logo on the bottom right of the window. You can also customize it. If you KNOW that a site that you visit regularly has a problem with Firfox, you just add it to the list, and when you visit that page, the icon on the bottom right turns to IE and it loads just fine. All of your favorites, toolbars, shortcuts, and everything else is the same because you never left Firefox!

Really, I only switch over to IE for 2 reasons. Either the website is not 100% compatible with firefox, OR (and here's the one I like), if I need to keep a cookie on my machine for security reasons. (I have a credit card that makes me keep a cookie on my machine in order to access my account online. Within firefox, for security reasons I delete all private data every time I close my browser, but I have IE set up to keep cookies. It works flawlessly.

Sorry if I rambled! I hope that helps!

Like KurttY from Saskatchewan, I use an old computer; Firefox locks my system up.
Darn.

But more to his comment about not bidding until the last few minutes: About 6 years ago there was a Jonsered 111 on Ebay that a few of us were watching closely...it was getting no bids, as everyone wanted to play that game. Then a certain poster here from the east coast of the US emailed the seller, offered something like $35 since the auction wasn't getting any interest.

Some variations of the story here:http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?p=29700#post29700
But some juicy threads have fallen off the edge.

I don't even look at chainsaws on Ebay anymore. My expectations on saw values were formed before Ebay was around, when a nice, running Homie SXL was worth $10, and a 5-20 only $3-5 at a farm auction or yard sale. You can talk about how the value of something is really what people are willing to pay, I suppose, but that gets back to the value of what we do, as well.

I'm what locals call a "lunchbox farmer"...my day job supports my farm habit. when I was younger, I worked out cleaning building sites, road right-of-ways, yard work and on a few occasions, would get work falling for timber harvesters that had bid on difficult sites for machinery acces...all to supplement the farm. I don't have the scratch to pay hundreds of dollars for an old chainsaw, just because I love them.

So, hats off to the accountants, dentists, and other businessmen that love the old saws and can afford to pay those prices; good on ya' to the folks that sell 'em and make some cash. Ebay sure isn't complaining about the nice tidy profits they scrape off the tops of all the sales, either.

I just can't play that game anymore.

I use both IE (the latest version w/tabbed browsing) and firefox on my PC. Some sites work better with one or the other, If I know Im going to a site that works better with firefox I'll open and use it and vice versa.

I have a button on my toolbar in Firefox that will convert the current tab to an IE window. That way, if there is a site that only works well in IE, I can just click it. Its an extension for firefox, I believe its called 'IE tab'.

best thing about firefox is its free !!!

i very seldom use ie only time i use ie is when i have a site i go to that does not support firefox

and yes the tab feature works wonders can have one window open and bunch of different other windows open under one window

ie dont allow that

calvin

I have a button on my toolbar in Firefox that will convert the current tab to an IE window. That way, if there is a site that only works well in IE, I can just click it. Its an extension for firefox, I believe its called 'IE tab'.

evanrude can you point me to where on the browser is this option ?

thanks
calvin

Latest posts

Back