Screwed by ebay

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you don't like dealing with this "lady" buy from someone else, I would.
There isn't usually harm in investigating a sellers' offers to "work you you", but chainsaws are dangerous so, my bad.
Anyway, in order for me to discontinue the transaction, she'd have to actually deliver the item I purchased :laugh:
Chill bro, there is a tracking number now. :rolleyes: This isn't Amazon Yesterday Service!

Sometimes folks who politely decline to combine shipping, already packed the item at the time of listing. I was hoping because, I do this. Then there is nothing to do but print a label. Bam! Same day.

Ebay new prices have been tweaked by Amazon market dominance, but they don't have a strangle on the used market.
Yet. In this way, ebay is great. OTOH,
Every time I buy a shiny saw sight unseen, there is always the risk that it was straightgassed the first day.
Look how they massacred my boi... and put him back in the box. 😵

15% of things you abandon in your cart get an offer from the seller. It's a buyer's market, for certain things.
Even on Amazon, abandon the cart and see if you don't get a better price.
Anyway, I'm not YOU GUYS ;) haha I swear I'm actually de-CAD-ing as we speak. Honest. 🥺

REAL IMPORTANT - look at the shipping cost. Some of the sellers will put a low ball price on the item being sold and then put an astronomical shipping price, stay away from those guys.
Yeah some Richardheads on there do that so they refund the lower price of the item & pocket the higher shipping price plus it attracts attention to their items. Not as common today but it sure was bad several ago.

Fwiw- I been on Ebay nearly 25yrs now, the only time I lost was yrs ago by trusting a seller who said he'd refund my return shipping on a used car part that was cracked.
Not making him pay for a return label I lost $8 returning it.
What really got me was as soon as he refunded me Ebay kept me from leaving any feedback. Didn't care his emails said he'd reimburse my return shipping. So my lesson was learned early on, force them to send that return label or just give them a neg if an items wrong/damaged.

Of course I'm waaay ahead now thanks to wrong items sent over the yrs where sellers never want to pay return on 1st item. Happens 2-3 times a yr at least, I dont mind anymore, I got nice stuff..lol

Yeah some Richardheads on there do that so they refund the lower price of the item & pocket the higher shipping price plus it attracts attention to their items. Not as common today but it sure was bad several ago.

Fwiw- I been on Ebay nearly 25yrs now, the only time I lost was yrs ago by trusting a seller who said he'd refund my return shipping on a used car part that was cracked.
What really got me was as soon as he refunded me Ebay kept me from leaving any feedback. Didn't care his emails said he'd reimburse my return shipping. So my lesson was learned early on, force them to send that return label or just give them a neg if an items wrong/damaged.

Of course I'm waaay ahead now thanks to wrong items sent over the yrs where sellers never want to pay return on 1st item. Happens 2-3 times a yr at least, I dont mind anymore, I got nice stuff..lol
Yep. A good seller is 90-meter motors. I ordered some spline screws and was sent the wrong part by another seller. But the 90-meter guy sent me the right part the first time around.

How old are you?????????????????

Ebay is a massive rip of for sellers anymore. I haven't sold anything on it for a few years now. Last was a bunch of saws and old rc cars and parts. Really just wanted to get rid of everything. Did a bid style with no reserve, buyer pays shipping. The fees were just stupid. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it was 20%. Setting the fee with taxes and shipping cost included. Just stupid.

Well lets take a look................straight from recent Ebay transaction

Fees based on $561.66
Item price$485.00
Shipping and handling$39.92
Sales tax$36.74
Fees based on$561.66
Rate for $0.00 - $7,500.00 $561.66x13.3% =-$74.42
Total payout $450. .20

So lets go through this.
Item sold for $485.00
I received $450.20
From that I paid UPS $39.92
Net to me was $410.28
So simple math says that is 15.4% fees plus taxes.

You have to add more to it than fees and taxes though. Many of us that used to sell on ebay were confronted with scammers who bought our items and then complained that they were not as advertised and asked for their money back and ebay always sided with them. The last sale I made was a parts saw, listed as such and the buyer complained that it wasn't a safe saw to use, got his money back and didn't send my saw back. I never considered selling there again..

You have to add more to it than fees and taxes though. Many of us that used to sell on ebay were confronted with scammers who bought our items and then complained that they were not as advertised and asked for their money back and ebay always sided with them. The last sale I made was a parts saw, listed as such and the buyer complained that it wasn't a safe saw to use, got his money back and didn't send my saw back. I never considered selling there again..
Sir, I have been selling saws and tools on Ebay for over 23 years and although I do not claim to have seen it all I sure have seen a lot. I will tell you I have never seen it be as anti-seller as it is now. .

Damn that stinks. I know when I buy a saw and there's no piston pic there's a 50/50 chance it's smoked. Only had 2 junk saws but didn't pay much for them and I knew it being a sl9/sl10 there was a good chance they were toast and were unfortunately. But the other 10-15 saws I bought turned out to be runners after a bit of work.

Damn that stinks. I know when I buy a saw and there's no piston pic there's a 50/50 chance it's smoked. Only had 2 junk saws but didn't pay much for them and I knew it being a sl9/sl10 there was a good chance they were toast and were unfortunately. But the other 10-15 saws I bought turned out to be runners after a bit of work.
When I sell a saw I generally post several pictures of the piston. If it is a runner I post a video. Ebay has made it much harder to post videos though. Years ago I just posted Youtube links, now that is forbidden.

When I sell a saw I generally post several pictures of the piston. If it is a runner I post a video. Ebay has made it much harder to post videos though. Years ago I just posted Youtube links, now that is forbidden.
I was talking about perfectly good, usable saws that the buyer said were bad just to get out of paying for them. The last saws I sold even had saw dust on them where the buyer used them to cut their wood then wanted to return them for a refund. If they keep treating sellers like they have me there will be no more ebay because there will be nothing for sale.

Did you phone Ebay?

I was talking about perfectly good, usable saws that the buyer said were bad just to get out of paying for them. The last saws I sold even had saw dust on them where the buyer used them to cut their wood then wanted to return them for a refund. If they keep treating sellers like they have me there will be no more ebay because there will be nothing for sale.
This is why I only have "no returns" on any of my ebay listings even though I sell new manufactured gaskets and diaphragms. I realize I lose some sales with this approach, but its not worth the hassle. I'd always work in good faith with someone if there was a problem, but the reality is you need to cover you posterior... Fee's are typically 13.5% plus .30 per listing. It's not a good way to get rich.... I have a web store as well but currently don't get the same exposure I do in ebay.

Latest posts

Back