Echo 501

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snorider

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm looking at the 501, did a search and didn't come up with much. Comparing it to the 2153 / 346 and 2253 / 550. Would be interested to hear everyone's take on the 501 vs these 4 others. Thanks!

I would expect it to perform about the same as a 353 or 545 one broken in and tuned correctly. I doubt if it would keep up with the class leaders like 550/261/5105. Probably very durable and reliable but still rubber Mount av and an air filter that gets dirty very quickly.

The 501 is the replacement for the cs490/500p. I'd have to agree with Brent Denny I'd place the 490/500/501 with the husky semi pro saws performance wise. Even with the rubber anti-vibe I can still run my 490 all day and not worry about my hands tingling.

I'll get some pictures in the morning the 590 is spring antivibe. Different saw but it will show the different antivibe setups. Springs are smoother.

I would expect it to perform about the same as a 353 or 545 one broken in and tuned correctly. I doubt if it would keep up with the class leaders like 550/261/5105. Probably very durable and reliable but still rubber Mount av and an air filter that gets dirty very quickly.

I'd bet with all saws having a muff modd it will be right with or really close to the class leaders plus a pound or two lighter. Steve

It's about 200 bucks cheaper because of seller competition. And it looks like the specs on the 501 are supposed to be better than the 490.

I just read a thread on another site and for the price of a 501 I think I'd send my 490 to @Red97 to be ported. In the end probly same price or cheaper and would be much stronger saw. About the pictures I talked about.IMG_20170227_132752.jpgthis is the only one I have of the 590 at the moment as its on its way to Tennessee for porting as we speak.IMG_20170302_143924.jpgand 490 crudy at the moment does 90% of my cutting. After pulling the stupid tube out of the muff and opening the deflector they run better the numbers on paper say. I'd like to send this to Red some day to be ported. Its only money right :lol:

How much is the port job and 490?
I don't know how much joe charges but it's worth it he has those saws down check out some of his vids i do my own work i dual ported my exhaust on my 490 it really woke it up without making it too loud when i get time i'm going to port it nice saws light low vibes comfortable.20170125_145830.jpg

Here's the dolmar in a different dress 329.99 shipped amazon i have to many 50cc saws or i would buy one this is a great deal on a dolly.41Ta58zeunL._SY400_.jpg

How much is the port job and 490?
I would think 600 would cover the saw and port work. Cheaper yet if you get the saw of feabay. Price I saw for the 501 was $600 so ported 490 seems like a better deal in the end.

I don't know how much joe charges but it's worth it he has those saws down check out some of his vids i do my own work i dual ported my exhaust on my 490 it really woke it up without making it too loud when i get time i'm going to port it nice saws light low vibes comfortable.View attachment 561855
Are your GB bars the standard echo mount or something else a bar upgrade is something I'm looking at for both my echo's.

I would think 600 would cover the saw and port work. Cheaper yet if you get the saw of feabay. Price I saw for the 501 was $600 so ported 490 seems like a better deal in the end.

Are your GB bars the standard echo mount or something else a bar upgrade is something I'm looking at for both my echo's.
Husky small mount i need to drop one link . i just enlarged the oil holes slightly works perfect. i like 18 inch bars on these it came with the 20

Snorider you might try contacting Sam_choq by private message. He is a member here and has had the 490/500/501. He makes his living with his saws and has had most other 50 cc saws as well and could probably give you a good evaluation.

Echo 490 is around 300$ new the 501 is 425$ ish.

The echo is almost a pound lighter than the 346. I sold my ported 346 once I ported the 490. My 261c got parked once I ported the 346.

I feel the 501 will be a stronger saw then the 490 once ported. But haven't gotten around to it yet.

I like echo saws, and have had all of the rest except a 550xp.

In a woods ported package, sharp chain. All will put a smile on your face.

Thanks guys! And thanks for the tips on who I can contact for further discussion!

Thanks guys! And thanks for the tips on who I can contact for further discussion!

My advice: Get the 501. It has the newest engine, and the ignition timing is not the same as the 490/500. A stock 490/500 should normally rev at 12,500 RPM, and the 501 should do 14,000 RPM. So, a properly maintained CS501 equals a 346XP, no problem at all.

All I have done on my saws (490, 500 and 501) was : removal of the exhaust tube, cutting of the exhaust deflector, and needle adjustments.

Back