ECHO 58 Volt Cordless Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using my Echo right along now since they came out pretty much with out any issues. The random shutoff issue has been pretty minor...not enough to complain.
I purchased my Echo a week ago, only used it a couple of days over the weekend but had zero issues with it. Cut several smallish (4 inch or smaller) trees to widen 4-wheeler trails and also cut up some firewood just for fun to see what it would do. Went through 10 inch fallen oak trees as good as my stihl 017 would do. Cut up all the wood in this pic along with all the trimming and still had 2 out of 4 bars on the battery power meter. So far so good. firewood.jpg

I hope they worked the 'bug' out - seems like a great saw and a great value.

Philbert
I hope so, I really like this saw and it is much easier to throw this saw in with my hunting/camping gear without having to haul my 044 and/or 250 (the 017 stays at the cabin!). I was really impressed with the first cut and that impression only got better the more I used it.

I purchased my Echo a week ago, only used it a couple of days over the weekend but had zero issues with it. Cut several smallish (4 inch or smaller) trees to widen 4-wheeler trails and also cut up some firewood just for fun to see what it would do. Went through 10 inch fallen oak trees as good as my stihl 017 would do. Cut up all the wood in this pic along with all the trimming and still had 2 out of 4 bars on the battery power meter. So far so good. View attachment 441814

Glad the one you have is working well.:cheers:

Glad the one you have is working well.:cheers:
Used my echo again over the weekend to clean up some downed pine trees. Zero issues with it over the span of about a solid hour's use. I had my MS250 with me as well but it never was taken out of its case! Speaking of which, any suggestions on a good inexpensive case that will fit the Echo? The one at HD for a small Echo does not fit.

You can buy a generic 'PowerBox' style case for about $30. Modify it to hold charger, batteries, etc. That's what I did for my Oregon 40v saw.

Philbert

Some of mine here:
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/carry-case-for-a-large-saw.202923/
I had the chance to use my Echo a couple of days last weekend and I had some issues with it. It cut out on me 3 or 4 times while cutting up the first tree. Nothing major but I did have to re-set the battery each time to finish the job. The second day, same thing happened on the first of about 20 or so cuts. Only happened that one time on the second day. Now I am wondering if I should consider the new Oregon brushless saw? I am still well within the 90 day money back HD policy. I must say I am somewhat disappointed in the Echo after last weekend but will probably give it another month or so to make a decision. Has anyone used the Oregon 300? I have not seen many reviews on-line about it yet.

Has anyone used the Oregon 300? I have not seen many reviews on-line about it yet.

Oregon announced that it is 'now available' about a week ago on their FaceBook page. And I have seen it listed on Bailey's site ('Ships in 7 to 10 Days'); and Amazon ('Usually ships in 1 to 2 months' !!!); so I think that they are just starting to become available here in the US. They might have been released a little earlier in Europe (advertised there as a 36 Volt saw).

I want to try one side-by-side with my CS250. And with the ECHO. (I want a cordless GTG!)

Philbert

Oregon announced that it is 'now available' about a week ago on their FaceBook page. And I have seen it listed on Bailey's site ('Ships in 7 to 10 Days'); and Amazon ('Usually ships in 1 to 2 months' !!!); so I think that they are just starting to become available here in the US. They might have been released a little earlier in Europe (advertised there as a 36 Volt saw).

I want to try one side-by-side with my CS250. And with the ECHO. (I want a cordless GTG!)

Philbert
Ya, side by side, same wood would be a good test. Just saying 40% more power is one thing, need to see how that translates in the wood.

Talked to Echo's support line and learned something that I would not have suspected. Apparently the batteries have a protective mode. If the saw is stopping in the first 5 seconds then it is probably in the protective mode. Seems you have to press and hold the battery indicator button for at least 8 seconds to reset it. This never made the manuals. I got the impression that it should probably be done before you first use the saw or is sets for more than 30 minutes. I'll have to report back after the next time I use the saw.

Talked to Echo's support line and learned something that I would not have suspected. Apparently the batteries have a protective mode. If the saw is stopping in the first 5 seconds then it is probably in the protective mode. Seems you have to press and hold the battery indicator button for at least 8 seconds to reset it. This never made the manuals. I got the impression that it should probably be done before you first use the saw or is sets for more than 30 minutes. I'll have to report back after the next time I use the saw.

I finally got around to using the saw again. Looks like the advice I got from Echo's tech support was on track. Did a bunch of cutting this afternoon. One battery pretty much does me in ;).

Latest posts

Back