Echo 660evl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beech277

Reaction score
So I was given a 660evl by a friend of my dad's. It's a little rough, but after a carb rebuild it runs like a champ. Since I was free and I don't have much into it I'd like to make a fun project out of it and do a muffler mod on it and anything else you guys can suggest that would increase performance.

Here are some pics. I know it needs a little work, but I'm hoping it's a fun project.

107wglf.jpg

11cfgr5.jpg

16bbvk4.jpg

By the way been lurking here for a while and this is one of my first posts. Great site.

Kevin

Since I'm a newbie I guess my thread didn't show up till the it was relegated back to the second page. So here's a bump in hopes someone has some good info on mods for this saw.

Kevin

Very pretty saw. Can't advise you on porting as I haven't started doing that yet, but you could just go through it and check compression and do a vacuum and or pressure test, see if all the seals are good. Then maybe pull the jug, remove the base gasket, put it back together with some yamabond stuff. I see that mentioned a lot here.

Some of the older saws were designed for torque, not for high revs & speed, but I have no idea about the Echo 660EVL. Maybe Bob Wright, the Echo nut, will see this and provide some input.

Do a pressure and vacuum test to check seals and other air leaks. Most seal failures are on the clutch side. My new to me 660 has a bad clutch side crank seal and I'm waiting for new seals to arrive. Saw did pull 160 comp. Regarding the muffler,it seems a pain to pull apart. Sides are crimped and I'm not sure how easy it would be to separate and recrimp. Be interesting to see if anyone has tried this. At 160 I have no desire to remove the cylinder gasket.

Bob

Thanks for the replies. I did a compression test on it cold and it was at about 110psi. As far as the muffler goes, I have thought about cutting it in half just above the crimp with a hacksaw, gut it, and then tig it back together. The muffler has some heft to it, so one would think it has some sort of restrictions in it. My other thought was to just take the muffler off and drill the baffle out from inside the exhaust port on the muffler,

Keep the ideas coming.

At some point I'm going to see how this saw compares to my dads 038.

Latest posts

Back