echo chain saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ECRUPPRECHT

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does anyone else think echo chainsaws feel way under powered?? a year or so ago i was on a job when a random guy walked up and offered to sell 2 brand new echo saws for 100 bucks, I assume they probably fell off the back of a truck based on the price. Well anyways knowing what they were worth i bought them gladly. I dont remember what models they were but i do know one was larger in the 500 dollar range and one was smaller in the 300 dollar range bcause i checked on them at the time, anxious to try em out i gased them up and went to town and wow I just felt like they didnt have the power they should, I am used to running huskys and stihls and that is all i have owned. I know all about the break in on saws and that they were brand new but i was anything but impressed, i ended up selling them within a few days to a guy i know who swears by echo. im not trying to start and argument here but has anyone else been dissapointed with the performance on echo saws what are your experiences and thoughts??

The only thing wrong with my little echo was the fact that is was set very lean from the factory. I had to remove the needle stops to richen it up enough to run right. Now all is fine, and it runs strong

I have only run a few older Echos, a 400VL, a 280E, and several 452EVLs. I loved the engineering and thought they were all nicely built. On the power side, I wasn't blown away, but I thought they did just fine. I think power is a bit of a problem for quite a number of the newer saws due to a lean tune at the factory. A lot of them these days need to be tweaked for power and longevity, and that includes a few Husky and Stihl models.

Does anyone else think echo chainsaws feel way under powered??

.. a year or so ago i was on a job when a random guy walked up and offered to sell 2 brand new echo saws for 100 bucks..

... anxious to try em out i gassed them up and went to town and wow I just felt like they didnt have the power they should, I am used to running huskys and stihls...

...I ended up selling them within a few days to a guy i know...

... has anyone else been disappointed with the performance on echo saws what are your experiences and thoughts??

Ummm... No comment ... :pumpkin2:

..and even if you do know how to tune a saw, don't buy an Echo :laugh:

Seems like people who know how and are are WILLING to tune and mod a clogged up muffler have no trouble with Echo saws reliability or their power. We all know by now that you wont even pull the limiter caps off one cuz you might void the warranty. Steve

A buddy of mine has one, the thing is really heavy. It is a 60cc one. His MS290 will outcut his echo, and the 290 also feels about 2 lbs lighter.

I've had my 680 for a month now and have been happy with it. It's not my workhorse saw so it doesn't get heavy use but it's bucked some 20-24" oak logs and downed several big hedge and sugar maples without any problems. I bought it hesitatingly because I couldn't afford a 441 and I suppose someday I may realize why the price diff but so far so good.

Last edited:
A buddy of mine has one, the thing is really heavy. It is a 60cc one. His MS290 will outcut his echo, and the 290 also feels about 2 lbs lighter.

Here we go comparing a 40 year old Echo with a clogged up air filter and a dull chain, not adjusted right to a modern Stihl. The last guy I cut wood with has a MS290 , after I let him use my CS510 Echo he never put it down the rest of the day and was asking me how much they cost. Now if his Stihl 290 had a sharp .325 chain , was tuned up good with a clean air filter it might be close, but it would still weigh 3# more.
Steve

Last edited:
Back