Echo Chainsaw - Never again will buy one - poor quality and poor customer service

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a busy day taking care of many customers, the dealer was tired and 'to the point' when the OP came into his shop carrying on like he is here. The dealer threw the saw swiftly at the OP's head, he ducked & the saw hit the floor making three screws fall out. The OP was still carrying on, went to pick up his 10y/o saw and felt a size 12 boot hit him staight up his backside. The saw and him landed in the parking lot outside and thats when he noticed the oiler screw was broke too. This is the obvious scenario of what happened & why he is still butt-hurt today.

When I move to my new town I found a small mom-and-pop dealer that's about two miles down the road from me looking for an outside bumper spy reminiscing the good old days and then I found out they race dirt track and I used to as well wound up becoming friends and they take really good care of me every time that I need items. sometimes they're abuck or two more than the Big Box store but I would much rather give them my business.

Personally, I think the OP was way out of line.I purchased a new discontinued CS 550 and couldn't be happier.He should have attempted to locate another dealer.Anyway I will never purchase a Stihl or Husqvarna. I am satisfied with my Echo.Not a clamshell,adjustable oiler,and a seperate cylinder from the crankcase.

Posting as a warning for future prospective Echo Chainsaw buyers...

I bought a CS-520 chainsaw from a Echo equipment dealer in the same town (Lake Zurich, IL) as Echo corporate office.

Since then and within the warranty period:
- 3 of the screws on the cover vibrated out (no locking washer or Loctite used at the factory).
- half the slotted screw head on the bar oil adjustment screw snapped off (clearly a metalurgical issue with Echo's screw supplier... who ever heard of half slotted screw heads snapping off?!?!?!)

These are no-brainer issues that should have never occurred in the first place.

Echo's customer service policy is that the owner needs to:

- take the saw back to an Echo Dealer,
- pay the $40-$50 for the Echo dealer to look at the missing screw or broken screw,
- wait 4-6 weeks for the Echo Dealer to file a warranty claim, get a response and fix the saw
- hope that Echo warranty dept approves the claim (Note: it better be within the warranty period to the EXACT day)

Even a phone call to Echo Customer Service found that Echo Customer Service Supervisor "Christine" was adamant in following Echo's Corporate Policy and would not simply drop the oil adjuster screw in an envelop to me (thereby saving the $40-$50 + repair labor Echowould otherwise have to pay the Echo Dealer).

So it is not just bad enough that apparently Japanese Echo saws have the same assembly or parts quality as all the Chinese junk that is flooding the US (aka, Harbor Freight, Big Box Store private label, etc.), but Echo owners also need to pay out of pocket for the Echo Dealer to look at the saw (without taking it apart) and then wait 4-6 weeks!!!

I can't imagine Stihl and Husqvarna treat customers this way or have such shoddy parts/assembly.

Any Stihl or Husqvarna owners with better quality or customer service experience?

This Echo saw is proving not much better than the Poulan PP4620AVX I previously had (which was a bit of a junk saw).
Clearly I'm not the person representig his class.

But if I had such a problem recieving the correct service I would go to the next dealer, although personaly we have enough dealers here online which have proven their record time and time again for all type of brands. I wouldn't worry one second.

Personally, I think the OP was way out of line.I purchased a new discontinued CS 550 and couldn't be happier.He should have attempted to locate another dealer.Anyway I will never purchase a Stihl or Husqvarna. I am satisfied with my Echo.Not a clamshell,adjustable oiler,and a seperate cylinder from the crankcase.
Echo makes a good saw period. The build quality is outstanding, and will last many years if you use a little common since.

and will last many years if you use a little common since.

I think if the oil adjustment screw broke he horsed on it. In all of these years running Echo saws I've had to replace 1 AV mount and 1 primer bulb. Several I bought off Ebay were burnt up due to lean factory setting and 1 was straight gassed. These saws are built good. Steve

"..and most if not all chainsaw and O P E manufacturers give instructions to occasionally check and tighten screws as needed, and are therefor not covered under warranty if lost. Jus sayin..."

I thought that as well.
However- a warranty is an interesting concept. What they mean differs in different realms of manufacturing.

The buyer might view a warranty as a reasonable blanket promise to "make good" after the sale.

But I think warranties are written by lawyers that limit the manufacturers liability after the sale.

Btw -Sorry you had aggravation with your saw. -br

Waranty is only good as the dealer is. When my echo blower rewind spring broke after year and half my dealer said he would fix it for free even if they wouldnt cover it.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

In more than 50 years I have only met one guy who knew any thing about saws. I am sure about Echo too. How would most people know any thing about equipment that they do not use. They sell parts and saws. That is their job. Dealers are not going to get rich selling customer service. It is easier for them to sell a new saw. So buy a new saw and when its worn out buy another one. If the OP can not read how to maintain then there is the problem. Thanks

Latest posts

Back